The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a question about a absorber bass trap Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

a question about a absorber bass trap

I asked Ethan about this but he is probably too busy with his book to answer so made be some one else can chime in?

Just a question, is this any good?

I built a panel (4' high 2' wide 1' deep) with a wooden frame and three sheets of insulation inside. I laid 703 first, then inch of space, 705, then inch of space and lastly 705 resting against the back fabric. So the whole thing is enclosed inside of the fabric.

Will that do anything in the low end spectrum, sitting in the corners of my room?

A side question here, I made a bunch of traps, where the 705 is resting on a 1'' frame (so again that 1'' space behind the trap) but I used fabric store suade material, that just the other day I decided to try to blow thru and well it just did not happen. Did I screw up but making all these traps wrapped in suede?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I built a panel (4' high 2' wide 1' deep) with a wooden frame and three sheets of insulation inside. I laid 703 first, then inch of space, 705, then inch of space and lastly 705 resting against the back fabric. So the whole thing is enclosed inside of the fabric.

Will that do anything in the low end spectrum, sitting in the corners of my room?
No way to really know, but honestly I would just stick with what works. Use 4"
of 703 or 705.

Quote:
A side question here, I made a bunch of traps, where the 705 is resting on a 1'' frame (so again that 1'' space behind the trap) but I used fabric store suade material, that just the other day I decided to try to blow thru and well it just did not happen. Did I screw up but making all these traps wrapped in suede?
For the bass traps I would think it still is fine (you would need to test to make sure) but I would not use it for the early reflection points.
What Are Early Reflection Points. Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

As far as Ethan being busy, HE IS but he does not help with DIY stuff over private email or pms. Not that he is trying to be mean, but (we are the same) it is enough to just keep up with his own customers. He would rather you post the question to let others get the info, so everyone can learn from it. Think of it as him helping a class room of people, over private lessons. He has to reserve the private lessons for his customers, just like we do.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Thank you for the quick response and info.

Sounds like I screwed up by using that material on the traps behind the monitors and on the sides.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3evil3mpire View Post
Sounds like I screwed up by using that material on the traps behind the monitors and on the sides.
A foot-thick trap is a great idea, but air gaps inside a trap, between the pieces, is probably not useful.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search