The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best use of this giant memory foam pad I found Mixers (Digital)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Best use of this giant memory foam pad I found

So on my way home I found this giant memory foam pad - 78"x58"x4.5". Best thing is, it's DENSE. From my calculations, it's 4.25lbs/ft^3 (50lbs for this beast!) - which is totally comparable to mineral wool.

Question is, how best can I use this stuff?

Ideas I've had so far:
-Making triangular corner traps, basically just cutting it into rectangles and then slicing those on the diagonal to make triangles, stuffing them in the corner and hope that it does something. If I make them 14.5"x19.5" I can make corner traps that are 54" high with a 24" face. Is that at all worth it?

-Cut them into strips and hang those over the corners. I could get 4 strips that are 19.5" x 58" - plenty to put one in each corner.

-Make them into gobos so I can move them around (not easily - it's really heavy stuff!)

I know you'll want to know about my room - about 27' x 18', two cement walls, we have probably about 120' of 2" auralex foam, two 2x2x4" gobos, and 2 18"x18" QRD's on a stand that we can move around (it's a rental- wall mounting stuff can be tough). Tile floor with a couple rugs, 7.5' ceiling. Use it for both live an mixing.

And here's a pic of my find:
Attached Thumbnails
Best use of this giant memory foam pad I found-foam.jpg  
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

I say use them in any way that helps your room out.. Idk what your room may have problems with so I can't tell you.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i suggest using it to sleep.

Buy some Roxul or OC for acoustics... You do not have any measurements of the absorption of this product. You are shooting in the dark.

I would not consider this a "good" foam because it is dense.

Feel free to make your own measurements and post the results!
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkas View Post
i suggest using it to sleep.
Did you see that thing? It's gross...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

I'd trash it. As the following chart shows, almost any other type of bedroom furniture, including a regular mattress is better in the low end frequencies. I doubt you're really hurting for 1-4k absorption.

Granted, that was a memory foam pillow, and a mattress may be thicker, but it still kinda works like trash... Here's a link to the full article I'm sourcing.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
I'd trash it. As the following chart shows, almost any other type of bedroom furniture, including a regular mattress is better in the low end frequencies. I doubt you're really hurting for 1-4k absorption.

Granted, that was a memory foam pillow, and a mattress may be thicker, but it still kinda works like trash... Here's a link to the full article I'm sourcing.
I find that a little suspect - even with a density that's equivalent to rock wool? C'moon
Old 1st September 2011
VPR maybe.....
but I can't give you much informations.....
the concept is something like a membrane absorber where the membrane in this case is a metal plate glued on top of the foam....
of course a lot depends on the density and the characteristics of the foam...
the metal plate must be kind of thin...1mm or so
but as I told you I don't have much informations to give you.
this is a product:
RPG Diffusor Systems
in the back of the foam there must be a rigid backing, It could be the wall or some kind of hard board
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus james View Post
So on my way home I found this giant memory foam pad - 78"x58"x4.5". Best thing is, it's DENSE. From my calculations, it's 4.25lbs/ft^3 (50lbs for this beast!) - which is totally comparable to mineral wool.

Question is, how best can I use this stuff?
Use it for a bed. It is closed cell, which is just about useless as a porous absorber.

Andre
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Density doesn't determine absorption quality. I wouldn't expect it to perform similarly to an equal density mineral wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkas View Post
Feel free to make your own measurements and post the results!
+1 to that, I'd be interested in seeing the results anyways, but only if you compare it to using the recommended stuff in the same place and amount...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
VPR maybe.....
but I can't give you much informations.....
the concept is something like a membrane absorber where the membrane in this case is a metal plate glued on top of the foam....
of course a lot depends on the density and the characteristics of the foam...
the metal plate must be kind of thin...1mm or so
but as I told you I don't have much informations to give you.
this is a product:
RPG Diffusor Systems
in the back of the foam there must be a rigid backing, It could be the wall or some kind of hard board
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but if you don't know much about acoustics you would be diving into something pretty technical. Would be fun to try though. heh
Old 1st September 2011
diving?.....I think you can say drowning
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Good for acoustics or not.................

Watch for other peoples garbage.........bugs/mold etc......tutt
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
Good for acoustics or not.................

Watch for other peoples garbage.........bugs/mold etc......tutt
And other fluids.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youn View Post
Density doesn't determine absorption quality. I wouldn't expect it to perform similarly to an equal density mineral wool

+1 to that, I'd be interested in seeing the results anyways, but only if you compare it to using the recommended stuff in the same place and amount...
Ok, I'm game. How best to take a reading off this material though? Point a cardioid mic at it, put a speaker behind the mic pointing at the foam, then run a series of frequencies through the speaker and see what reflects using a spectrum analyzer? Or take a reading pointed at the source, the pointed at the foam and overlay the two? I also have a tone generator and some old "hi-fi calibration" records (which seem to be just tone generators too). I'm not really interested in spending any money on software for this endeavor.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
And other fluids.
...............ha ha ha ha ha.............

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search