The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Secondary glazing UK - help
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Secondary glazing UK - help

We're in a very quiet area so full sound proofing for our control room isn't 100% needed. However we do get a little noise through the window on occasion.

Was thinking I'd look at a secondary internal glazed window.

Any comments or tips or clues where to go for this? The window industry is full of sharks and I don't want to get eaten!

Many thanks
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Don't use Everest. I bought the secondary windows for my studio from them - they were expensive and the performance is nowhere as good as they were trumpeting (in fact, far from it) plus five years later they still flood me with junk mail and "we're in your area with some extra special deals" calls even though I asked them several times to take me off their database.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

I replaced all the windows and exterior doors in my house last year. I had 4 companies' reps round. Each saw what I needed, had plenty of documentation and statistics to back up their sales patter.

For your situation I would do the same: invite a few round, show them the window(s), explain that it is the acoustic properties that are important, not the thermal ones, and see who can provide acoustic data for their products.

In the end I bought from Anglian. The rep had to go back to her office for extra information and contact me a couple of days later. It was her willingness to go the extra mile to satisfy the customer that impressed me most.

It looks like Glas Facades know about acoustic insulation: "The easiest and simplest way of determining the window sound insulation is to use the procedures from BS EN 14351-1 : 2006 ..."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search