The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Perfect studio chair?!
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear Head

Perfect studio chair?!

I am looking for a chair that is comfortable for long recording or mixing sessions and that also has arms that move or swivel back and out of the way for playing guitar or keyboard in comfortably.

Wal-mart sells a cheap mesh chair that has arms that rotate up flush with the chair back to achieve such an effect but I was wondering if there was something maybe in leather that does the same thing.

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzin Chizzy View Post
I am looking for a chair that is comfortable for long recording or mixing sessions and that also has arms that move or swivel back and out of the way for playing guitar or keyboard in comfortably.

Wal-mart sells a cheap mesh chair that has arms that rotate up flush with the chair back to achieve such an effect but I was wondering if there was something maybe in leather that does the same thing.

Any suggestions?
If you are looking for the subject chair, the Aeron is about as close to a studio standard as there is of any standard in the studio.

Andre
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any suggestions?

I've got my past two chairs at Staples. They have a leather knock-off called Luxura that is a lot cheaper. Holds up alright, although it gets wrinkly and starts to look like it's going to crack open. They might have something you'd like without costing too much.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on Aeron--have had two. You can get like new ones for 300-400 on Craigslist or cheap new ones on Ebay, I've done both and it's some of the best money I've spent.
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

How do you choose chair size from Ebay?
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
How do you choose chair size from Ebay?
There are 3 sizes of Aeron - here is a chart to help you find which one you need.

Herman Miller Aeron Chair Sizing Chart
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you for that. Couldn't find it on the site initially
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Cuzzin,
herman miller aeron , humanscale freedom, steelcase leap.

research,try,buy.
Old 22nd June 2011
A happy Aeron user here.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A happy Aeron user here.
+1.
Old 23rd June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
+1.
best purchase I have ever made...I have back problems...and this chair is like a painkiller...8)

Wiz
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried the Humanscale Freedom chair and the Herman-Miller, and the Humanscale was the clear winner. The arms are ratcheted and can drop instantly out of the way, and the gel seat is much comfier than the mesh of the aeron. I've sat in my Freedom every day for five or six years and love it to death.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

I must be doing something wrong. How in the world does a chair with great back support help when you spend all of your time leaning over a console? You guys do use consoles right? LOL
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzevedo View Post
and the gel seat .
I've got the gel seat that comes with the chair..... it's real good.
My buddies got the real deal gel seat......it's really,really good.Really.

3 seats here. (two collect dust).

Bringing back some other memories when I was researching chairs..
Question: do you find your pants wearing early with the Hermin-Miller?
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Aeron chair is great. Long lasting, too.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I found it.

Nothing against HM aeron chair owners.......

Found this in 2007 and finally located it.

here: click on quick time links.........

dack.com > misc > the aeron chair sucks
Old 27th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsandifer View Post
I must be doing something wrong. How in the world does a chair with great back support help when you spend all of your time leaning over a console? You guys do use consoles right? LOL
Yup. API here.
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsandifer View Post
It's for when you sit back, stroke the cat and marvel at your amazing work.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I believe that the ultimate mixing chair is the Håg 05. It is available in many outfits. After checking out all the serious contenders I went for the fully leather version with headrest and leather padded armrests: HÅG H05 5600

This chair moves with you forward and has a unique automatic coupling of weight balance to body size. It is extremely comfortable, yet allows for all kinds of active postures. Armrests can be swiveled away in one simple push. Headrest can be adjusted by pushing it up or down. No knobs. You don't know what you are missing until you have tried one for prolonged periods of time. I'm having mine for over eight years now and frequent visitors fight over it as they know what an incredible seat it is. It still looks like new, by the way. Wonderful scandinavian top quality in construction and leather. When I'm with a client I give it to them (so they can conveniently lean back) and I move over to my Håg Capisco, which is perfect for being full throttle active with others having over your shoulder. (HÅG Capisco 8107)
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect studio chair?!-hag-h05.jpg   Perfect studio chair?!-hag-capisco.jpg  
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

I've often wondered about headrests and also large exec type chairs where the back extends to the head area....

My instincts tell me that that would effect sound negatively because they place a reflective surface so near to the ears. Are my instincts right here? Would be interested to hear others views....

On a more general but related note, I often wondered how much the shape of a person's outer ear effects the way they hear things. I have quite flat ears. If I put my fingers behind my ears to make them stick out a little more (not beyond what some people's ears are like) it changes the sound of music quite a lot. If this is not to OT, I'd be interested to hear people's views on this also.

Cheers

Max
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
My instincts tell me that that would effect sound negatively because they place a reflective surface so near to the ears. Are my instincts right here? Would be interested to hear others views....
You are correct.

Quote:
On a more general but related note, I often wondered how much the shape of a person's outer ear effects the way they hear things. I have quite flat ears. If I put my fingers behind my ears to make them stick out a little more (not beyond what some people's ears are like) it changes the sound of music quite a lot. If this is not to OT, I'd be interested to hear people's views on this also.
That is a bit more difficult to answer because regardless of a person's ear shape, it is what a person is used to.

Andre

Last edited by avare; 7th July 2011 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Corrected HTML
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've often wondered about headrests and also large exec type chairs where the back extends to the head area....

Cheers

Max
Does your brain see colours the way mine does? Is your green the same as mine?

To answer the question about the headrests: when I push down mine on the Håg chairs I cannot hear any difference of any meaning. Placing my hands behind my ears makes a far greater difference.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Hi

Are there any guitar players out there using either the Humanscale Freedom or the Herman Miller Aeron (or Mirra). From what I can tell, the arm rests drop down low but not out of the way completely. Seems to me they would still be in the way of the guitar.

So my first question is whether I have understood this correctly..... Do the arms just drop down low or can they be positioned so that they are completely out of the way?

And secondly, if they only drop down low, do they get in the way of the guitar?

Cheers

Max
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

They drop down all the way (humanscale that is), completely out of the way.
You can also (change) add the longer cylinder and foot rest so it can also be raised up higher as a stool.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for that mate.

I don't suppose any owners of either chair could post a picture with the arms in the most "out of the way guitar friendly" position? Just so that I can get a visual idea of how the arms can be moved out of the way.

Thanks again

Max
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Since I've just got a new studio chair – have a look at this.

Unbelieveable, it's the best chair I've ever had, hands down. Guitar players could easily detach the arm rests by removing one screw.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't suppose any owners of either chair could post a picture with the arms in the most "out of the way guitar friendly" position?
Center chair fully extended, arms down.
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect studio chair?!-img_1260.gif  
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the photo - very helpful. Hard to tell without trying it whether the arm would be in the way of the guitar or not. Hopefully I can find one locally and try it with my guitar in playing position.

Do you/does anyone know if it is the same deal with the Herman Miller?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

‪Humanscale Freedom‬‏ - YouTube

Leaves plenty of room.

check this out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search