The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Perfect studio chair?!
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Another recent convert to the Humanscale Freedom.

To be as precise as possible regarding the arms & guitars.

If I am sitting fully back with the arms down a standard guitar body may actually be very close to or touching against the front of the right hand armrest (For a right handed guitarist), but not really enough to be "in the way".

Zero interference at the fretting hand/arm & you can't dink the guitar body as the only bit you might hit is padded.
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Last summer I worked at local business incubator.
All furniture there was finnish, from ISKU.

I would like to recommend this chair.

Old 9th November 2011
Gear Addict

Freedom Chair,

Headrest or Task model?

The Headrest model claims to automatically move out of the way when you aren't sitting back in it and it's shape countours backwards.. Do you think it will affect sound much?
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Take your pick
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect studio chair?!-throne.jpg   Perfect studio chair?!-electric-chair.jpg  
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzin Chizzy View Post
I am looking for a chair that is comfortable for long recording or mixing sessions and that also has arms that move or swivel back and out of the way for playing guitar or keyboard in comfortably.

Wal-mart sells a cheap mesh chair that has arms that rotate up flush with the chair back to achieve such an effect but I was wondering if there was something maybe in leather that does the same thing.

Any suggestions?
AKRACING Premium V2 Gaming Chair Black

Applicable for gaming and music studio activities.

There are 4 bolts attaching the base that mounts the arm rests,
which can easily be removed for extra convenience towards seating activities.

Click on Images to enlarge.

You Tube --> https://youtu.be/fUPNSe4m6YQ

Company Link --> https://www.ak-racing.com.au
Old 19th June 2017
Here for the gear
I really need to get a good studio chair.
I have looked into all the chairs mentioned in this thread. But they all seem to have the same 'air piston thing' at the base.
I have just replaced the cyclinder in my cheapo office chair because it was wobbling like hell.
Guess what? The replacement wobbles too!! SOOO annoying.
So my question is - do these expensive chairs have the same air cylinders? because if they do then they must all suck too.
Those cylinders are such a crap design It totally amazes me that no-one has come up with a new design in all these years.
I just want a comfy chair that doesn't wobble. WHy the F** do all these chairs wobble (from side to side/front back) . It is so annoying. Does the Humanscale freedom wobble? The Aeron? They both appear to have those same dumb ass little cylinders. Who decided that the best way to make a sold chair was to balance all the load on a tiny little tube? Is it just me or that a totally crap design?
If anyone has experience with these chairs and can say if they wobble or not - please let me know.
Thanks
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripCode View Post
I really need to get a good studio chair.
I have looked into all the chairs mentioned in this thread. But they all seem to have the same 'air piston thing' at the base.
I have just replaced the cyclinder in my cheapo office chair because it was wobbling like hell.
Guess what? The replacement wobbles too!! SOOO annoying.
So my question is - do these expensive chairs have the same air cylinders? because if they do then they must all suck too.
Those cylinders are such a crap design It totally amazes me that no-one has come up with a new design in all these years.
I just want a comfy chair that doesn't wobble. WHy the F** do all these chairs wobble (from side to side/front back) . It is so annoying. Does the Humanscale freedom wobble? The Aeron? They both appear to have those same dumb ass little cylinders. Who decided that the best way to make a sold chair was to balance all the load on a tiny little tube? Is it just me or that a totally crap design?
If anyone has experience with these chairs and can say if they wobble or not - please let me know.
Thanks
In my experience the more expensive chairs don't wobble. They also last longer.

Last edited by explorer; 19th June 2017 at 11:13 AM..
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

I agree with explorer but in my experience someone with TripCode's attitude can find a fault in pretty much anything.
Old 19th June 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
In my experience the more expensive chairs don't wobble. They also last longer.
Ok thanks. glad to hear it, I just wonder if they use the same generic gas cylinders or do they make those themselves.
Because the mass-produced ones are all wobbly. they have some kind of design flaw. If the Humanscale freedom uses their own propriety one then i might consider buying one. The thing is - there is no shop anywhere near me - so I need to know before I order one online.
Sorry if i sounded a bit crazy in my first post. It's just very frustrating to drive 2 hours to buy a new cylinder, spend 2 hours fitting it - only to find that the new cylinder wobbles too!.
Do you think if the Humanscale freedom wobbles I can send it back? ;-)
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE8A View Post
AKRACING Premium V2 Gaming Chair Black

Applicable for gaming and music studio activities.

There are 4 bolts attaching the base that mounts the arm rests,
which can easily be removed for extra convenience towards seating activities.

Click on Images to enlarge.

You Tube --> https://youtu.be/fUPNSe4m6YQ

Company Link --> https://www.ak-racing.com.au
This chair is not a good solution as it has a big and high headrest that will create a lot of problems due to its reflective character. Been there, done that...
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
This chair is not a good solution as it has a big and high headrest that will create a lot of problems due to its reflective character. Been there, done that...
+1
Old 20th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
Recently bought myself the Pro X series outer State, after reading the specs online. The chair feels relatively comfortable due to my height, weight and body thickness.
Class four Pneumatic lift, which supports up to 150kg.
I rate this chair a three star, from a five star rating, giving an average for my posture and comfortability.
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Not doubting its general quality and comfort. Only there are special considerations in a studio setup.

There are many reasons Aeron is so popular in studios. It's an almost perfect chair.
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Nut

IS the areon miller really that good?
price is about 500€
Old 1st July 2017
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

I see Aeron is the leader here.

If you are in Europe you can try this one too:
Topstar: OPEN ART

Been using this chair for several years - great things to say so far. The only thing that I might say sometimes annoys me is during hot days the bottom, which is made from thick cloth absorbs so much heat from your butt that it actually starts to get too warm from the chair to sit on it, so you have to get up and let it cool for a while, ha

But that might be a good thing sometimes.

Cheers,
A/M
Old 1st July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I agree with explorer but in my experience someone with TripCode's attitude can find a fault in pretty much anything.
+1
Old 1st July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I believe that the ultimate mixing chair is the Håg 05. It is available in many outfits. After checking out all the serious contenders I went for the fully leather version with headrest and leather padded armrests: HÅG H05 5600

This chair moves with you forward and has a unique automatic coupling of weight balance to body size. It is extremely comfortable, yet allows for all kinds of active postures. Armrests can be swiveled away in one simple push. Headrest can be adjusted by pushing it up or down. No knobs. You don't know what you are missing until you have tried one for prolonged periods of time. I'm having mine for over eight years now and frequent visitors fight over it as they know what an incredible seat it is. It still looks like new, by the way. Wonderful scandinavian top quality in construction and leather. When I'm with a client I give it to them (so they can conveniently lean back) and I move over to my Håg Capisco, which is perfect for being full throttle active with others having over your shoulder. (HÅG Capisco 8107)
Another vote for HAG, although I use Capisco Puls and work at an adjustable sit/stand station. I don't have the headrest which I think is good because there are no reflections. Yes it has a piston but it's rock solid.

..ant

Capisco Puls

Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Addict

I swapped my studio desk chair for a good quality touring drum stool. It forces good posture, doesn't suffer from back rest reflections etc. And takes up a lot less space.

I wouldn't go back to any other kind of chair. I just don't get any back aches or fatigue anymore. Worth consideration!

Cheers

Conundra
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

I sold my mirra to a friend , to get the mirra 2 : downgrade .
So i went for a fully loaded aeron remasterad ...all good but it hurts in the leg , stops blood with their new multi zone / tension thing ...

I finally order a embody that i tried and really liked ....anybody use the embody around ...it s less sexy in a studio but really something ...

Forst time i tried it it was horrible ...becuase it s so customisable that you have to make it feet you not the opposite ...

Any feedback around ?
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

I own the Human Scale chair and it does not "wobble" FWIW
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I sold my mirra to a friend , to get the mirra 2 : downgrade .
So i went for a fully loaded aeron remasterad ...all good but it hurts in the leg , stops blood with their new multi zone / tension thing ...

I finally order a embody that i tried and really liked ....anybody use the embody around ...it s less sexy in a studio but really something ...

Forst time i tried it it was horrible ...becuase it s so customisable that you have to make it feet you not the opposite ...

Any feedback around ?
+1 on the embody.

I did converge to my "perfect setting" in about two months, and it has been a pure joy ever since. The chair is so flexible that it follows you around when you move your shoulders, arms etc. You don't notice it but you really move a lot in it, and it makes quite a difference at the end of the day. Quite frankly, it's better than my bed
The lack of head support is not even a problem, you have such a good posture when you sit in it that your head is naturally supported in the correct axis by your spine, without fatigue.

And since I have it, I've noticed that I have a better and healthier posture when standing up.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Mastering View Post
+1 on the embody.

I did converge to my "perfect setting" in about two months, and it has been a pure joy ever since. The chair is so flexible that it follows you around when you move your shoulders, arms etc. You don't notice it but you really move a lot in it, and it makes quite a difference at the end of the day. Quite frankly, it's better than my bed
The lack of head support is not even a problem, you have such a good posture when you sit in it that your head is naturally supported in the correct axis by your spine, without fatigue.

And since I have it, I've noticed that I have a better and healthier posture when standing up.
About moving you're damn right , the first thing i notice , is that i found myself even cross leg on it (like bouda) lol because no hard frame like the aeron , the one thing i don't like is that the palmrest can go backward like on the new aeron / mirra and when i want to lay back full my feet on the desk i feel the low spin thing ....

Did ya got the Balance fabrik ?
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
About moving you're damn right , the first thing i notice , is that i found myself even cross leg on it (like bouda) lol because no hard frame like the aeron , the one thing i don't like is that the palmrest can go backward like on the new aeron / mirra and when i want to lay back full my feet on the desk i feel the low spin thing ....

Did ya got the Balance fabrik ?
No I had not that extra 200€ at that time just for the more aerated fabric... Perhaps when mine will be too much used I will upgrade, but for now, after a bit more than 3 years, It is looking brand new.

Anyway, it has become an indispensable tool of my studio, and quite frankly, would prefer to let go some racks than the chair, even if they are more expensive.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Mastering View Post
No I had not that extra 200€ at that time just for the more aerated fabric... Perhaps when mine will be too much used I will upgrade, but for now, after a bit more than 3 years, It is looking brand new.

Anyway, it has become an indispensable tool of my studio, and quite frankly, would prefer to let go some racks than the chair, even if they are more expensive.
Thks for the infos .... isn't it getting hot in summer ? (versus mesh fabric like aeron or mirra) ?
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search