The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Garage into a studio.. soundproofing help? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Garage into a studio.. soundproofing help?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be converting a single garage into a recording studio and need help and tips for soundproofing it up. The garage is concrete built and has a single wood door which i will be using as the entrance into the studio and obviously a garage door at the other end. I will be changing the entrance door to a fire door as i know they are quite sound proof and build a partition wall directly against the garage door to help reduce sound from leaking out via that.

Any ideas on what i can do sound proof the walls and ceiling in the garage and even both doors themselves? I was thinking to just build a whole new room within the garage but it may cost too much.

I have attached pictures of the garage and a design.

The vocal booth is 4ft by 4ft and 7ft high and the desk is approximately 160cm long and 80cm deep.

Happy new year too!

Regards
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Garage into a studio.. soundproofing help?-img_0238.jpg   Garage into a studio.. soundproofing help?-img_0239.jpg   Garage into a studio.. soundproofing help?-design.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Always fire speakers down the longest wall.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Angry

okay if u r going to build a studio build one not trying to be rude
building a room inside a room is the only practiable thing to do using fiberglass insulation maybe even putting up rubber vinyl stuff over that then drywall then u have to acoutic treat your room think about lighting,electric stuff
I to going to do a STUDIO BUILD in a two stall garage

check the pic diary section great garage builds I plan on having a pro design it and me& a buddy will diy the actual construction I'm thinking at least 5k
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

I did something exactly like this years ago, PM me if you want some help! We didn't fully sound insulate it fromthe house, but i could playdrums and the outside world had no idea!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone View Post
okay if u r going to build a studio build one not trying to be rude
building a room inside a room is the only practiable thing to do using fiberglass insulation maybe even putting up rubber vinyl stuff over that then drywall then u have to acoutic treat your room think about lighting,electric stuff
I to going to do a STUDIO BUILD in a two stall garage

check the pic diary section great garage builds I plan on having a pro design it and me& a buddy will diy the actual construction I'm thinking at least 5k

Thanks for that, yeah ive been told to do that which is what i think is basically the best option. Need to wait on my friend whos going to get the insulation for me. I will keep you all updated with it.

Thanks
Alex
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZippy View Post
I did something exactly like this years ago, PM me if you want some help! We didn't fully sound insulate it fromthe house, but i could playdrums and the outside world had no idea!

Hiya mate just Pm'd you now.

Regards
Alex
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search