The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Over and over in my head...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Thumbs down Over and over in my head...

Ok, so I've been searching this forum and John Sayers for almost 6 straight hours, and have not got anywhere. I basically live in a third of a basement of a rather large house. The part I live in consists of two rooms - the main room has to have my studio AND workout area (I'm an extreme 'fitness enthusiast') - the room through Door1 on the diagram is to be my bedroom, it's basically a cut off of the main room. The main room in the diagram as you can see is 22ft by 13ft, the room above me is the kitchen so a lot of footsteps can be heard, as well as noise from the PC and the water pipes in the walls. I have planned a 77"x59" vocal booth - I only record guitars and vocals, all types of vocal styles and genres.

Obviously my main issue here is isolation from outside noise, is a vocal booth my only option or will gobos help cut down a lot of the surrounding noise?? And will those windows in the diagram be an issue with the control room being at that end? I've attached a picture of my current setup, everything is very squashed in, I get a good sound on the output - or at least I'm used to mixing in there, but the recording is difficult to work with because of PC noise etc. You can also get an idea of how big the desk setup is to fit in the main room.

I would also like to know if a vocal booth of this size will still have negative effects on low frequencies and if there is any way to overcome this completely...

Over and over in my head...-potentialstudio.jpg Over and over in my head...-ukstudio2.jpg
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru
Isolation

Soundproofing is very difficult and expensive. The diagram suggests a large room. I would recommend that you construct a quiet room within it.
If this is acoustically treated for mixing it will coincidentally be very good for vocals. The booth is not a great idea.
DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search