The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing room with big glass wall Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Mixing room with big glass wall

Hi there. I've been trawling through the forums for a little while now, reading all sorts about acoustic treatment. Lots of great resources and seemingly knowledgeable people on here, and I've got a couple of questions which I can't find answers to already.

I have a 445cm x 440cm room with 2.4m ceiling. One entire wall is a big double-glazed glass window/door onto my balcony. From what I can gather, facing the windows is the best idea, with monitors about 1m from the glass. Will the bass frequencies from the back of my monitors largely pass through the glass, and so not affect the room?

Another problem is that there's a small kitchen area with no door, as you can see in the layout below. How should I best deal with this? It's not ideal, I know, but I have to cook and eat too.

I'm going to make bass traps to cover as many corners as I can, and build some broadband absorbers to hang on the walls and ceiling above my mix position. I have a big thick leather couch - would that be better as an absorber at the back wall? Do you think I need diffusion? I'd build a QRD if it would help. The distance from the back wall to my sweet spot would be about 3m.

Yeah, so basically if you could take a look at my layout below, and make suggestions, I'd be grateful!

By the way, the floors are wood!

-Ciaran

Old 1st January 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Yes, glass in the front of the room is not a problem, and as a bonus you get to look out the window. heh

An opening with no door behind you is a Good Thing acoustically. So don't worry about that either.

--Ethan

Gear Guru
Yes

+1 to Ethan. To all the other questions, couch at back and so on, yes to all.
PM or phone me if you need local info on insulation choices and such.
Happy New Year

DD
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

And should I put a QRD on the back wall?

On the topic of glass - do I need bass traps in the corners where the wall meets the window?

Thanks for the advice guys :D
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
should I put a QRD on the back wall?
Sure. Not just one 2x4 or 2x6 unit, but maybe three QRDs side by side for best results.

Quote:
do I need bass traps in the corners where the wall meets the window?
Rectangle rooms have 12 corners, and the more corners you treat the better. Always.

--Ethan

Gear Guru
Luxury

I recommend getting the bass sorted first. QRD's can eat up a lot of your budget. Yes you do need bass traps floor to ceiling in the front corners. The energy is highest there due to proximity.
Other corners are good too as Ethan has said. You can find out which ones are most needed for sure.
Slowly sweep a Sine Wave from a generator. You will hear the room resonate very strongly at modal frequencies. Tune in carefully for max effect. Then move about the room. You will walk through areas of peak and null.
Find peaks at the corners and wall surfaces where trapping is possible.
This exercise is very tactile and very convincing.
Corner traps do not always straddle corners. You could get a few in around that door.
DD
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search