The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Perfect recording room dimension and reverberation time
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Perfect recording room dimension and reverberation time

I am currently studying music production/recording facility construction engineering, a little bit of acoustics etc. In my upcoming recording studio I would of course want to end up with perfect recording room conditions. What is the optimal width x height x depth + reverberation time to aim for?

Naturally I like the sound of churches where the recommended reverberation times are around 1.4 - 3.4, these buildings are often quite large...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
I am currently studying music production/recording facility construction engineering, a little bit of acoustics etc. In my upcoming recording studio I would of course want to end up with perfect recording room conditions. What is the optimal width x height x depth + reverberation time to aim for?

Naturally I like the sound of churches where the recommended reverberation times are around 1.4 - 3.4, these buildings are often quite large...
Seeing as you're planning to get into the business seriously, I suggest you read at least a few hundred threads here. You'll learn an awful lot and you'll soon realize that there is no such thing as perfect room conditions.

Churches are awful when they're not full of people, and even then...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
Seeing as you're planning to get into the business seriously, I suggest you read at least a few hundred threads here. You'll learn an awful lot and you'll soon realize that there is no such thing as perfect room conditions.

Churches are awful when they're not full of people, and even then...
Are the optimal conditions maximum acoustical scalability in order to give the engineer a palette of frequencies to work with which is as rich as possible? So in practice this would be to have a recording room that can be tuned to the acoustical settings that the particular project requires.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
Are the optimal conditions maximum acoustical scalability in order to give the engineer a palette of frequencies to work with which is as rich as possible? So in practice this would be to have a recording room that can be tuned to the acoustical settings that the particular project requires.
you sound very clever! i suggest you read acoustics books lol

but yes there are rooms that 'transform', usually with big expensive motorized panels. they have to cover a lot of area to be effective and are very expensive, but they are pretty f'ing cool!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search