The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Treating school house live room (concrete floor) Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Treating school house live room (concrete floor)

Some may remember me posting about setting up a studio in an old schoolhouse. This is the live room currently. Looking to see if anyone has diy treatments they might recommend? Should I make a drum riser as it is a concrete slab floor? Acoustic panels and where?

The room is Rectangular, 33.5' by 23' with a 10 ft high ceiling.

Walls and ceiling are Spruce plywood. The wall on the left is cinder blocks. Windows have heavy curtains.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusslim View Post
Some may remember me posting about setting up a studio in an old schoolhouse. This is the live room currently. Looking to see if anyone has diy treatments they might recommend? Should I make a drum riser as it is a concrete slab floor? Acoustic panels and where?
I would only recommend a full sheet of 3/4" plywood for the drums. It will give the drums something to grip and provide a hard acoustical surface below for projection. Don't build a riser, they rarely help the sound.

DIY treatments; There are quite a few threads here on building bass traps and acoustic panels. Your room would be a good candidate for polys, diffusers, and slanted plywood panels... 2D PRDs would be nice on the ceiling with absorption checker-boarded... many options here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusslim View Post
The room is Rectangular, 33.5' by 23' with a 10 ft high ceiling.
Very nice space. One problem due to dimensions; you have poor modal distribution below 50Hz. Trapping will be very important in this room, but the windows will probably alleviate this issue to some degree by allowing the LF of the width mode to be damped & exit.

I would recommend treating the ceiling over the floor and my recommendations for the walls and the ceiling is the same; Never let untreated surfaces face each other.

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
John
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

John, thank you so much. I have lots of extra wood from the build and have read up on building panels and bass traps. These terms I have not run into yet so I'll start looking them up: Poly's, 2dprd's.

Thanks for the advice, glad you think I could end up with a good room here.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Slim,

Polys is short for poly-cylindrical disperser. There is a current thread here.

2D PRDs are 2 dimensional primitive root diffusers. There is a very good online calculator here.

Have fun.

Cheers,
John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search