The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diy large speaker stands ? Modular Synthesizers
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Diy large speaker stands ?

Im looking to build some large speaker stands about 30" tall for these 90 lb speakers.

http://www.xtremed63.com/images/full...tchen380SE.jpg

The stand will sit on commercial carpet that is on a pad that is on plywood over floor joists with a crawl space.

Whats a good cheap way to do this?

Decouple stand from speakers with sorbothane? The soeakers have PLENTY of mass so dont need any steel plate neopreme foam setup.

Make stands from concrete ? Use concrete blocks ?

I assume the stands need to be coupled to the floor so how is best without damaging the carpet? Just let the concrete sit on the carpet? Some post say i should also decouple the stand to keep the floor from resonating. Im confused.

They surely wont move with 90 lbs on top of them.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 30th December 2010

The only thing you really have to worry about is the stand itself resonating.

Make them out of 1" MDF, add a few braces until it dosen't sound a tone when you tap the panels and call it good...

-tINY

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Old post... another thread... same topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
Speaker stands should either be very heavy to absorb structure bourne noise, or have spikes to mechanically isolate them for achieving acoustic separation. Ideally you can do both. In this way the speakers are prevented from causing their environment in general and the speaker stands in particular to resonate due to self oscillation. A bass heavy speaker mounted on a very light wooden stand, can cause the stand to oscillate and produce a very washed out bass sound.

The spikes have a small supporting surface, and long waves (low tones) can't be transmitted across a small surface. Aswell as great mass needs a great deal of energy before it oscillates.

Cheers,
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
Old post... another thread... same topic...
i sense apathy... maybe the answer is to change the answer to include re-bar/mesh and poured concrete formed using 12" sonotubes?
how cool would those be?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Why are you always picking on my posts Glenn! heh It's not so much apathy as it is time constraint, but sure... i'll explode a bit (since you think me lazy ).

You can make your stands out of marble, granite, slate or any other such quality stone material, or you can make MDF stands and fill them up with sand (to make them heavier).
Another good thing to keep in mind is that, the more bass heavy the speakers are, the more important the firmness/decoupling is for the speaker stands.

Happy now Glenn!?? heh

Cheers,
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Decoupling my speaker stand from the floor, from the speakers or both? Im tempted to decouple the stands from the floor just because i dont want to mess up my carpet with spikes. I was thinking that they are so heavy they are not going to move around.

Remember, im on a wooden floor with a crawl space beneath with pad and commercial carpet on top. The floor is solid 3/8" plywood screwed down.

Ideas discuss !!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Decoupling my speaker stand from the floor, from the speakers or both?
Ideally you can do both! You dont have to use spikes to decouple the stands from the floor either, but if you do, you could use something underneath them to save the floor.

Keep an eye on this thread aswelll:

rubber cups to rest speaker stand spikes on?

Cheers,
Old 30th December 2010
http://www.noise-control.com/designg...nIsolation.pdf
E-A-R Specialty Composites

Spikes will not isolate the stands from the floor, for this, you need to figure the weight of the stand and speaker and figure what lowest frequency you want good isolation for - then get appropriate isolators.

Sorbothane rings are nice too : Isolation Rings | Sorbothane

-tINY

Old 30th December 2010
I did my own. can post a photo later. I used bushings between all the wood and they are amazing!

...but they are about 2 inches too high! too lazy to disassemble, cut and rebuild ....ugh!!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

My speakers have an inside bottom dimension of 17 5/8" x 15 7/8". I want them 30" off the floor. Im thinking of jus framing up some 2x 4s because if i use concrete blocks it will take 8 per speaker and will weigh about 340 lbs plus the 90 per speaker and i dont want to put that much weight on my floor.

Any other ideas ?

Physics is a bitch.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

one problem is those stands are only rated to 25lb on the shelf...
if you put a larger (3'x3'x3/4") plywood plate under the blocks to distribute it, that might help - depends on what your floor can actually handle. if your stand comes in at 275lb w/ speaker thats about 30lb/ft2. you can use 3x 12x12x8 + 1x 12x12x4 blocks. put 2x4 under the top plate which sits around the block.
Attached Thumbnails
Diy large speaker stands ?-example-large-speaker-stand.jpg  
Old 4th January 2011

Yikes - I didn't read the specs, but a 2-4" steel tube should support more wieght than that...

Still, 25lbs is a pretty heavy speaker for a two-way or a smallish three-way.

-tINY

Old 4th January 2011
SAC

Decoupling is only necessary if the speakers and stands sit upon a surface that will resonate and/or transmit the mechanically coupled energy to yet another resonant surface that will transmit the energy acoustically (or mechanically vibrate the drink off the gorgeous megalith of a worksurface befitting an acoustics professional's ego heh ).

Oh, and while sufficiently rigid and strong stands are needed, it scares the heck out of me to think of the pedestal some of you guys would design for a waterbed. But then, I think many would be convinced that it would crash through the floor and yet would propose placing it on 'tiptoe' spikes rather than imagine it having a lesser distributed mass footprint then a refrigerator when spread over a larger area.

More folks need to think in terms of mass distributed over 'area' and not simply in terms of mass distributed at a 'point'.

heh
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

I built my stands out of 2x4s and a top of mdf. I put glides on the bottom so they can be repositioned easily. I added 1/2" neoprene type foam under the speakers and i am thrilled with the result. The speakers played very loud result in such a small vibration to the stand that resonance is no problem. The stands are very decoupled from the speakers.

Im so glad i spent the two hours and fourty bucks to make them.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Hello
I had my local fabricator make these up for me. Cost about $80 each including paint and zinc. Base is 300 x 300 x 5(mm) the tops are 200 x 300 x 5 (mm), height is about 910mm using 65 x 65 x 3 (mm) square tube. Very heavy,no speaker wobble.
cheers
D
Diy large speaker stands ?-img_0474.jpg
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

here's some pics. does exactly what i needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Diy large speaker stands ?-dscf1680.jpg   Diy large speaker stands ?-dscf1679.jpg  
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Looks great!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
I built my stands out of 2x4s and a top of mdf.
+1 for this method. I did the same, except I added a big concrete block (filched from a construction site) to the top of each.
Attached Thumbnails
Diy large speaker stands ?-stand.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search