The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To Beef or Not to Beef - That is the ?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

To Beef or Not to Beef - That is the ?

I'm in the process of doing a rebuild in my basement. 1 room designed for mixing / midi composing. The plan is to go with a hard floor/ absorbent ceiling - insulation between the ceiling joists and a fabric covering. But now that I have the ceiling open, I can clearly hear the tv from the room above, and I'm worried that the r-19 style fluffy insulation alone isn't going to silence that enough. Would a layer of 5/8 drywall attached to the subfloor - between the joists -help my situation? I know the added mass would help if I were doing a hard ceiling - MSM style, but not sure of the effect it would have with a fabric ceiling. Would beefing up my 1 leaf ceiling help to silence the tv noise from above?

I know a hard ceiling would be better for what I'm trying to achieve here, but with the open ceiling design I have a good room ratio going with my current room dimensions. With a hard ceiling, I would have to close in the rest of the room too much to even get close to a decent ratio. So I want to keep the open ceiling design, but do whatever I can to lower the TL between floors in the process. Thanks for the help.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

beef
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats4weeks View Post
...The plan is to go with a hard floor/ absorbent ceiling - insulation between the ceiling joists and a fabric covering. But now that I have the ceiling open, I can clearly hear the tv from the room above, and I'm worried that the r-19 style fluffy insulation alone isn't going to silence that enough.
Insulation, rock wool, or any kind of absorption material will not block sound. You need mass to do that. You need to beef up the sub floor between the floor joists with mass.

Quote:
Would a layer of 5/8 drywall attached to the subfloor - between the joists -help my situation? I know the added mass would help if I were doing a hard ceiling - MSM style, but not sure of the effect it would have with a fabric ceiling. Would beefing up my 1 leaf ceiling help to silence the tv noise from above?
Yes, it will help - possibly as much as 6db depending on the current mass. put 2 layers of fire rated, type 'x' 5/8" gypsum board & seal well with a good caulk like OSI SC-175.

Quote:
I know a hard ceiling would be better for what I'm trying to achieve here, but with the open ceiling design I have a good room ratio going with my current room dimensions.
Hard ceilings are rarely recommended except in tracking rooms - and even there they are limited. Ratios; Don't get too hung up in the absolute 'ratio'. Dimensioning for the best modal distribution is best. There are many good rooms outside the limits of the the 'good' ratios. Have a look at my Room Mode Calculator and plug in the numbers until you get a good one.

Cheers,
John
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Head

I Beefed (pardon me)

Just to follow up - I beefed. And the results exceeded my expectations, even with only one layer of 5/8 screwed directly to bottom of sub floor. Oh, and a lot of acoustic caulk and backer rod. Not an easy job but well worth it for me. Bye bye TV noise from room above. Thanks for the advice : )
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

You're very welcome.

- John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search