The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a studio.. Help please Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Building a studio.. Help please

Well im building a studio at my church. Two rooms. Control/live

Money is kinda tight so the construction is going pretty slow.

Some one is telling to put carpet all over the walls, on both rooms.

Which i didnt want too. I just wanted to paint it with some nice colors and of course put acoustics panels. What would be better? Throwing carpet on everything does it change anything? The only reason my friend wanted to do that is cause he wants it to be done as soon as possible so we could start working. Let me know, Thanks guys!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Carpet on the walls is a terrible idea, and is illegal in many / most parts of the US. This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dri0914 View Post
Well im building a studio at my church. Two rooms. Control/live

Money is kinda tight so the construction is going pretty slow.

Some one is telling to put carpet all over the walls, on both rooms.

Which i didnt want too. I just wanted to paint it with some nice colors and of course put acoustics panels. What would be better? Throwing carpet on everything does it change anything? The only reason my friend wanted to do that is cause he wants it to be done as soon as possible so we could start working. Let me know, Thanks guys!
You're going to end up with a room that is dead on the highs and leaving the lowend to swim around in the room. It is going sound horrible. Actually putting up panels is easier then carpet and make the room sound 1000 times better. Ok 10,000 time better. heh

What are the 2 sizes of the rooms? You don't want to small rooms which the low end will be harder to tame. You are much better to have one big room.
Old 29th December 2010
JWL
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only reason my friend wanted to do that is cause he wants it to be done as soon as possible so we could start working. Let me know, Thanks guys!
If you do this, your recordings will sound like they were thrown together as quickly as possible too.

Listen to the good advice above.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah that was what i was thinking. that i was gunna end up with a dead sound! well here is the size.. the live room is bout 12FT Length X 12FT Width with 8Ft of height, and the control room is about 12Ft Length X 9Ft Width

Also on the live room im building acoustic right off the corner. Ima do three corners. Will that be good? Then ill build some panels to put up on the wall.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

dri,

I don't mean to be negative, but you should have asked these questions 6 months ago. As Andre's signature says, "Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction".

12 X 12 is a very bad dimension. Before you go throwing good money after bad, I suggest that you stop construction and consult a qualified acoustician/studio builder. There are several here on GS. I am one of them.

I recommend that you order & buy Rod Gervais' book, "Home Studio, Build it like the Pros"

I'm serious, take a break and read the book. Have a look at some of my publications and also read the articles at Realtraps and GIK.

Good luck! I don't mean to be hard on you... but if it is for a church, you should know the story that Jesus told about being prepaired... something about a man who went to build a tower and when he couldn't finish all the people laughed at him and said, "here is a man who started a work and could not finish".. -- I guess the only thing that we learn from history is that we never learn from history.

Plan ahead... well, at least PLAN! You should know exactly what you are doing before you set one nail.

But maybe this is for the church and it's church money and nobody cares... Well, if the people that were giving the money found out, I think they would be mad. If I pissed you off, I'm sorry. I really want to help you 'do it right' and help others that may read this thread in the future.

Cheers,
John
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
dri,

I don't mean to be negative, but you should have asked these questions 6 months ago. As Andre's signature says, "Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction".

12 X 12 is a very bad dimension. Before you go throwing good money after bad, I suggest that you stop construction and consult a qualified acoustician/studio builder. There are several here on GS. I am one of them.

I recommend that you order & buy Rod Gervais' book, "Home Studio, Build it like the Pros"

I'm serious, take a break and read the book. Have a look at some of my publications and also read the articles at Realtraps and GIK.

Good luck! I don't mean to be hard on you... but if it is for a church, you should know the story that Jesus told about being prepaired... something about a man who went to build a tower and when he couldn't finish all the people laughed at him and said, "here is a man who started a work and could not finish".. -- I guess the only thing that we learn from history is that we never learn from history.

Plan ahead... well, at least PLAN! You should know exactly what you are doing before you set one nail.

But maybe this is for the church and it's church money and nobody cares... Well, if the people that were giving the money found out, I think they would be mad. If I pissed you off, I'm sorry. I really want to help you 'do it right' and help others that may read this thread in the future.

Cheers,
John

Thanks John.

No hard feeling, like you said you just wanna help me do it right. Honestly for the dimension thats all i got. They gave me two rooms their not using, and thats their size. What should i do? The live room i was just gunna put a drum set, and a mic for the vocals.. and a lil side for the guitar. What do you think i should do?

Thanks.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you think i should do?
Get Rod's book.

Andre
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 on all previous comments. read the book and the web links to grasp the basics and be ready to provide some answers based on your new understanding...

if you can, sketch out the floor plan (Google SketchUp is free and it's pretty easy to do a simple drawing) of what you have available down to the nearest 1/2". include all the doors, ducts, pipes, windows, lights, room height, etc etc and what you can or cannot do with the walls and ceilings in terms of removing / replacing etc. how much isolation do you need? (we want to record rock bands but its under the baby nursery) etc

it may be there is little or nothing you can do about the rooms in terms of re-construction but there are tactics which may help make it workable.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
+1 on all previous comments. read the book and the web links to grasp the basics and be ready to provide some answers based on your new understanding...

if you can, sketch out the floor plan (Google SketchUp is free and it's pretty easy to do a simple drawing) of what you have available down to the nearest 1/2". include all the doors, ducts, pipes, windows, lights, room height, etc etc and what you can or cannot do with the walls and ceilings in terms of removing / replacing etc. how much isolation do you need? (we want to record rock bands but its under the baby nursery) etc

it may be there is little or nothing you can do about the rooms in terms of re-construction but there are tactics which may help make it workable.

Thanks or the comment. Is there any other sketchup for free? Im running mac g5 powerpc and google sketchup no longer support powerpc. Thanks!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Sketchup

Dri,

Well, that's a blow... they really should support the Macs.. duh.

draw a quick sketch by hand with dimensions.. don't forget the height!

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
John
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search