The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Room null and poor bass response Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
A studio I designed recently had A7's.

I would imagine it not too difficult to make a frame to fill and seal that gap. They look a bit recessed to me also. Bring them out to flush at the back of those angled corners. They are there for a reason.
The ADAMs controls are at the front, as are the ports and the amplifiers, and they do not run hot, so you should be safe there. Furthermore the onboard controls are well capable of dealing with the LF boost, which will likely be much less than expected.

Having said that, I see plenty of leaky and half soffit designs at Johnlsayers.

I suggest that you take your problems one by one, biggest one first. Identify the cause without doubt, fix and move on. Maybe the cause is poor soffit execution or edge diffraction but I am not feeling it. 700Hz?

I don't think it is possible to run FM through PT to use an Eq, but by all means shut down PT when measuring.

Are you near the mic when measuring. A human body can cause anomalies in exactly the territory of your dip. Step away from that microphone. 2M is good.

Don't be shy about turning down the tweeters. Boost the bass also if necessary.

DD
Hey Dan, yes, i've been checking the site, and run across with this post by the moderator:

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • View topic - Monitor Flush Mounting Method

I might try that to see if there is any improvement.. .
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfeetunder View Post
That is interesting.
When you say the center side, you mean the panel parallel to the wall? If so, what should i do if i am planing to put a 5.1 setup? I would have to put a plywood sheet over the front too?
Woa, I didn't see that before. 5.1?? I would then recommend placing your speakers on stands and follow the Recommendations for Surround Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfeetunder View Post
Are you suggesting to move the panels closer to the front wall, but then saying that 22" is a small width for a soffit? Wouldn't that make it even narrower?
You would be better off, for flush mounts, to build new, correct mounts in the other end of the room and use the current front as the back of the room, where this kind of trapping is more important.

I was talking about covering the panels that the speakers currently occupy. I don't know how wide they are -- the ones that are rotated 30 degrees and 330 degrees relative to the operator.

But if you are going to do surround mixing, I wouldn't recommend the flush mounts... SO, time to buy some stands & as Dan pointed out; " human body can cause anomalies in exactly the territory of your dip." Do some more measurements with yourself out of the room or at least 2 meters away.

If you are not going to do surround.. Follow SAC's advice.. excellent articles on the Genelec site.

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
John
Old 16th February 2013
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you ever fix the 700hz issue? Reason I'm asking is that I'm having the exact same issue. I have a 700hz null, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing it or how to get rid of it. :/
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcsteene View Post
I have a 700hz null, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing it or how to get rid of it. :/
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...on-issues.html

Desk early reflections

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search