The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included

Okay, this is a 12' by 12' room with 8' ceilings. 2 walls are exposed concrete blocks, one wall is drywall on top of concrete, and one wall is 1/2" thick wood paneling. Floors are tile on concrete and ceiling is wood paneling.

We knew walking into setting this room up we had some major problems. Major problem frequencies based on a preliminary mode calculator are 94Hz, 141Hz, and 283Hz, along with a few other smaller modes.

So far our treatment has been:
Super Chunks 8 feet tall, 27" wide in all 4 corners using 4" thick 6lb/foot rigid fiberglass
2'X4' Bass traps on the walls at the first reflection points, filled with the same rigid fiberglass
The same bass trap on the ceiling above the first reflection point for a cloud
1 home made qrd diffuser, 27" wide, 7 well design.

Pictures of the room below.

Okay, now here are the graphs, which are a lot better than when we started.
The question is, how does it look. This is our first room and first time using REW. I am not sure what what to expect. Any impressions or ideas. There are obviously some peaks and nulls that I would love to level out if possible. The only things I have thought of are to add a few more bass traps on the ceiling and walls and a second diffuser.

Both Speakers On IR

Both Speakers On Waterfall

Both Speakers On ET

Left Speaker IR

Left Speaker Waterfall

Left Speaker ET

Right Speaker IR

Right Speaker Waterfall

Right Speaker ET

Any input would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-164795_10150114377930659_584945658_8144500_6655188_n.jpg   Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room1.jpg   Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room2.jpg   Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room3.jpg   Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room4.jpg  

Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room5.jpg   Working on a new control room, pics and graphs included-room6.jpg  
Old 29th December 2010
JWL
Lives for gear

For a small square room, where the 3rd dimension is harmonically related to the other 2, I think you are doing pretty well. The biggest problem I can see is with ringing in the waterfall graph. The best solution is to add even more bass trapping (ie, to the wall/ceiling corners).
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

I think we are going to add 3 more clouds, all 2'X4' with 4" rigid fiberglass. I think we can fit about 2 or 3 more traps on the walls as well. Do you think adding an air gap to the traps on the walls would help with the ringing?

Also, we built the QRD diffuser that is on the wall right now. It is a 7 well 4' tall diffuser. We spaced the wells out to where (according to QRDude Calculator) we have a range from about 250 to 2k. I have run tests with and with out the diffuser and do not hear or see much of any change. We had plans of building one or two more but are now reluctant to given the time it takes to build if we can not notice any change.

With no difference from one diffuser, should we assume that adding another 1 or 2 will not make much of a difference or will covering a larger percentage suddenly show a large change helping reduce some of the comb filtering in the mid range.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search