The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Some Gear Advice MH-ULN-2? Turntables
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Need Some Gear Advice MH-ULN-2?

Official Newb here, first post. I've been following this site and absolutely love it. So I recently got into the art of recording and even though it may be soon, I think it's time for an upgrade. I want Metric Halo ULN-2, is it unnecessary?

This is what I got:
CAD GXL2200 and 1200 (Basic Condenser and Dynamic)
M-Audio Firewire Solo
Logic on a Macbook Pro
Some nice (colored unfortunately) monitors from Earthquake sound

I have a good ear and think my weak link is about 40% the preamp in the interface. Instead of just getting a new preamp I want a new interface, cuz this one's been bugging out on me.

Should I splurge for an MH ULN-2, you guys have given such incredible reviews. It'll be worth more than all my other equipment combined, but if I buy another mic, it might be all I need. What do you think?
Old 28th December 2010
SAC

You'd get a better response were this posted in the correct forum...
This has nothing to do with studio construction/acoustics.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you want to improve your sound it might be good to look at improving the acoustics of your studio!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
If you want to improve your sound it might be good to look at improving the acoustics of your studio!
+1

I'll quote myself to save some typing time. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
To answer your question... A desirable environment goes before fancy equipment, otherwise the fancy equipment would only record bad sounding sources and what's the use in that?

Same goes for a control room... a flat room response is worth more than fancy mixing gear, otherwise you wont hear which way to tweak your fancy EQ. The painter wont have any use for a fancy brush if he has to work with a blind fold. i.e money spend in vain... dont spend good money after spending bad... dont through pearls at swines... etc...

Sören's systematic investment order:

TR:
1. Secure a Good sounding TR.
2. Get a good musician (or singer).
3. Make the musician present of a nice sounding instrument.
4. Acquire an excellent sounding signal chain (mic, mic preamp, signal processors...).

CR:
1. Treat your room according to calculations.
2. Secure equipment for room measurements.
3. Get a good (flat) speaker system and calibrate it properly.
4. Assure an acceptable room response (fine tune your room).
5. Acquire some excellent sounding hardware or software based processing gear for mixing and mastering.

This list can then go on forever...

Quote:
Think of it this way, Both equipment and acoustics is important when you are producing music, but why would you start in the wrong end of the chain? I mean... we all want to buy cool gadgets, but we also want them to work optimally. What good is an exquisite sounding microfon when the sorce it captures sounds like crap? What good is a superb sounding eq when you can't hear which way to tweak it?

That would be cind of like the blind portrait painter who rather spends his money on excellent brushes than his eye surgery. He needs both to get professional results, but i would rather start with the eye surgery and settle for some cheap brushes, than the other way around. heh
Quote:
So my advice? Use enough of your budget to make rooms that will work for you with satisfaction, in the long run. After securing some nice sounding rooms with good TL, you can proceed with gradualy adding gadgets. heh
Quote:
A Röde mic through a focusrite preamp in a good sounding room, will sound better than a Neumann through a Neve in a crappy sounding room.
Cheers,
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Malone,

Sorry if this isn't the answer you are looking for, but when you post in the studio building/acoustics forum this is the kind of answers you'll get. heh But at the same time you might have learned something very valuable about how to prioritise, to get the most out of your investments. thumbsup

Cheers,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search