The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Large monitor placement Utility Software
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Large monitor placement

Is it ok for me to put my monitor backs just one foot from the wall for control room speakers?

See bottom of link.

http://www.genelec.com/documents/qsg/QS3-way.pdf
Old 27th December 2010
SAC

Your attachment answers the question.

The Genelec website has much more information regarding speaker placement on the website in the tutorial/learning center section
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

The website seems to conflict with the pdf

Free-standing Loudspeakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
Your attachment answers the question.

The Genelec website has much more information regarding speaker placement on the website in the tutorial/learning center section
Old 28th December 2010
SAC

The concepts do not.

And speaker behavior is more than a one size fits all issue, as you must address the frequency response of the speaker as well as at what distance corresponds to the wavelength of he lower extension in order to determine where the energy will effectively sum constructively or destructively - and that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

You have a specific pdf for that speaker, and a website article that extends beyond that particular speaker to address a larger universe. One was for a 3 driver system with a differing frequency extension, while the website is for a 2way speaker that lacks such low frequency extension. There are more determinate characteristics that go into determining the response than simply labeling the unit a "speaker".

Put simply, unless a speaker is placed FAR from a boundary, you are going to have destructive interference. Period. Their suggestions provide a process for minimizing (NOT eliminating!) the destructive interference in the more critical frequency ranges.

If this is a critical issue, consider soffit mount them correctly.

May I suggest you go through ALL of the Tutorials listed in the Tutorial section and understand ALL of the inter-related issues rather than simply cherry picking a 2-way instruction guide that begins specifically with qualifying it's response characteristics!

Otherwise, the easiest way to determine the various trade-offs involved with placement relative to a boundary, measure the response with a frequency and time domain measurement tool such as FuzzMeasure of RoomEQWizard or RPlusD or ARTA.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

I see exactly what you mean. That was speaker specific. By the way, you give a really great explanation. Thank you.

Can you make any general recommendations for my speakers please?

http://i.imgur.com/XfLr8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZJtw8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QIN7r.jpg
Old 28th December 2010
SAC

Without knowing the precise polar characteristics, etc., the easiest way to optimize the placement - as you are dealing with the interaction of the emitted energy and the various boundaries - be it in terms of modal behavior, SBIR and specular reflections, is to use measurements as suggested earlier.

I know, this is not the simple "put it here: X" answer that I suspect you would prefer. But ultimately it is the only answer that will successfully account for all of the various factors that are ultimately critical.

You might begin by checking the tutorials on the RealTraps website, And again, review the Genelec series articles until they make sense, Also reviewthis excellent article that may justifiably 'scare' you as well as help!

As you see, all of the placement guidelines are simple starting points - from which ALL of this particular area of the forum obsesses; as the acoustical treatment of a listening space and /or studio is ALL about addressing the issues related to the simple question you have asked - namely, the interaction of a signal propagated from a speaker within a small bounded space!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks and so the journey begins.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmewater View Post
Is it ok for me to put my monitor backs just one foot from the wall for control room speakers?
The only way to know for sure where is best for your speakers is to measure the LF response at high resolution as you experiment. Here's my standard list of room measuring links:

Room EQ Wizard, Windows and Linux and Mac OSX 10.4+, Freeware
ETF, Windows, $150
FuzzMeasure, Mac, $150
Room Measuring Primer
Comparison of Ten Measuring Microphones

--Ethan

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
Also review this excellent article that may justifiably 'scare' you as well as help!
Excellent article, thank you SAC. You may want to readjust the link, however, as it starts on page two.
Old 28th December 2010
SAC

Thanks for the heads up - it should be corrected now...

I got ahead of myself and posted the 'advanced' version. heh
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru
Wall Bounce

It is worth noting that the speakers are also distant from the other boundaries by varying amounts. Side Walls, Floor, Ceiling, even the Back Wall.
And they all vary with listener position.
Thomas Barefoot's Wall Bounce Calculator 2 D is well worth a look.
Acoustic Resources « Irish Acoustics
DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search