The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a home studio with neighbors really close-by Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Building a home studio with neighbors really close-by

Hello,
My wife and I are building our first house in a Kibbutz in Israel.
My lifetime dream was to build a home studio, unfortunately basements are not permitted in our Kibbutz so my studio has to be above ground.
If that is not enough - the way the houses are built here is that they share a wall with the neighbors.
And on top of that - my studio can only be at the side closest to the neighbors (not necessarily being the room that actually shares the wall, but no more than a few meters away

Enough with the bad news and on with (what I think is) the good news:
1. I am still at the drawing board stage.
2. Houses in Israel are made of concrete blocks, not wood.
3. The neighbor's room which will "touch" my house is their shelter (30cm of concrete)
4. I might be able to build my house with a small buffer from the neighbors so there will be some air between us, not sure about that yet.
5. I am willing to invest in a floating room.
6. I am willing to hire a professional engineer/consultant.

My plan is to build a 20sq meters room, building costs in my area are roughly $1200 per square meter.

My goal: I wish to be able to play (with a band and all...) without bothering my neighbors.

I know my acoustic consultant should be able to answer these questions as well but I would really like to hear more ideas and especially - to know a little more about it myself before I start this "adventure"...

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Do I need to provide any more information?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey man,

I think folk would be able to help more if you provided a specific question?

Cheers

Eddie
Old 29th December 2010
JWL
Lives for gear

Part of the issue might be that we, on this forum, cannot provide guarantees that you will be able to play in a full rock band without disturbing people on the other side of the concrete wall. In order to do this, you should consult with a professional who can look in detail at the specifics of your situation and advise.

What we can say is that having 30cm of concrete is helpful, and I'm sure we can help you reduce the amount of noise going through to the neighbors.

You should research some basics, on this forum, or on the soundproofingcompany.com site, or Rod's book, or a variety of other sources.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonLP View Post
1. I am still at the drawing board stage.
2. Houses in Israel are made of concrete blocks, not wood.
3. The neighbor's room which will "touch" my house is their shelter (30cm of concrete)
4. I might be able to build my house with a small buffer from the neighbors so there will be some air between us, not sure about that yet.
5. I am willing to invest in a floating room.
6. I am willing to hire a professional engineer/consultant.
You can always build with a space & if done properly it will not look like it, but the walls will be decoupled and offer high STL.
Floating may not be necessary, but room-in-a-room might be.

Quote:
My plan is to build a 20sq meters room, building costs in my area are roughly $1200 per square meter.
I would recommend pushing it to at least 35sq meters if you can. 20 can get very small with a band.

Quote:
I know my acoustic consultant should be able to answer these questions as well but I would really like to hear more ideas and especially - to know a little more about it myself before I start this "adventure"...
Post a drawing when you have it completed & we will be glad to help.

Cheers,
John
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search