The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rack. layout of units in rack
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

In a studio design class I was taught not to mix audio cables with power cords. Does this mean I shouldn't have my power conditioner in the same rack as my audio gear?

I've also read something about that it's good to put all your analog processors in one rack, at a distance from clock interference. I'm not sure of what this means...!? SOmething about keeping my A/D/A converters away from summing box etc..?

Appreciate any thoughts on this. thanks
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I wouldn't worry about any of that, and most setups don't need power "conditioning" anyway. The main thing to avoid is bundling audio and power cables tightly together with cable ties over long distances. If you don't have a hum problem, then that proves the point. And if you do have a hum problem, look for ground loops before worrying about the quality of your AC power or proximity of the wires.

--Ethan

Gear Head

There is a formular u should follow if you have a bunch of gear...basically keeping it tight and organized...I've set up studios for years
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Smile

ok cool then I won't worry and I don't have any hum problem so far so.. Lucky me, wouldn't know how to deal with those ground loop problems.. thanks for your input guys!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

The major thing is to avoid having power and audio cables running parallel to each other in close proximity. This is especially critical with mic and instrument cables.

Most of the good racks I have seen have power running down one side of the rack, and audio down the other.

And if it is necessary to have a power cable cross an audio cable (or vice versa), do the crossing with the cables at a 90 degree angle to each other.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

ok think I've got it set up ok now, thanks for your reply!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search