The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent live room treatment advice? Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Decent live room treatment advice?

Hello all. I was reading in the forum about opinions on preamps and several people mentioned that treating your room might do more to get a better sound than upgrading preamps. While I do need to upgrade my pre's and my A/D converter (Original MOTU-828 and an M-Audio Audio Buddy), I was needing some advice on anything I can do to upgrade the sound in my live room. I'm attaching a JPG of dimensions and equip in the room. The room is 12' tall and approx 15' X 10'. I mainly record acoustic guitar, banjo, and upright bass as well as vocals in this room and I like "Room" sound better than a "dead" sound. The walls are sheet rock and the floor is stained concrete. I have a large wooly rug that covers about 1/4 of the room in the center of the floor. I'd like the room to sound more "musical" if possible.

Questions:
Do I need bass traps if I have a tall piano in one corner and an open door in another (as you can see in the jpg).

Should I add more rugs, maybe curtains over the windows?

Any advice would be appreciated! thanks!

-Brad

---------------------
facebook.com/thesouthernsea
facebook.com/thescrips
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You're not likely to get a good "room sound" from a space that small unless you add a lot of diffusors. So often deader is better. You can always add high quality ambience and reverb when mixing. I'm sure bass traps and other treatment will help a lot if you have nothing now. This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Lives for gear

Brad,

I agree with Ethan, size is the limiting factor.

You don't have to go with dead, though. Like Ethan often says, you can't have too much trapping... Go ahead and build some corner traps & get the piano away from the wall a bit.

Checker-board absorption panels on the ceiling will help with comb filtering from the ceiling bounce. This will also add diffusion due to breaking up wave-fronts on the ceiling.

A few strategically placed wall panels would also be helpful. - Usually a situation like this requires some trial and error. Use what works for you.

Cheers,
John
Old 12th January 2011
Here for the gear

...so I found someone selling Fibrex rock wool locally on C-list and bought so and built some traps. I can't wait to record something to see what it sounds like. Just playing in the room...It seems like the clarity of the instruments is greater now. Thanks for the info everyone. Here's some pics:

http://img.mobypicture.com/742e0117a68b29513766627d2435613d_view.jpg

http://img.mobypicture.com/c416042a2...089aa_view.jpg
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search