The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Options For Recording Rap Vocals Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
View Poll Results: Better option?
Bedroom
3 Votes - 100.00%
Closet
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Question 2 Options For Recording Rap Vocals

So, I have been looking for tips on setting up my area to record vocals, and since all of the google results led me to this site, I figured I'd join. I found many topics that pertained to my situation, but no exact match, so I signed up to get some advice.

I just moved into a new house, and the walls/ceilings are all plaster. For those that haven't attempted to record in a room with extremely hard walls, it's a bitch...but the wife loved the house, so telling her we can't get it because of my hobby would be an epic dick move. I have two options for a "recording room": 1) A small spare bedroom. This room is about 10'x10', plaster walls and ceiling. My original plan was to use this room, deading a corner, ceiling and the parallel surfaces with whatever studio foam I have left (I have 32 square feet). 2) A VERY small closet. It's about 2' deep, 2.5' wide, 8' high (there's a separator @ about 6.5', so that could serve as the ceiling).

I was set on using the spare bedroom, but when I saw how small the closet was and realized I could completely cover the area in foam with the amount that I currently have, I was intrigued. Mose of the advice I found (mainly on this forum) said that you should avoid a closet for recording at all costs. I think that having a small area completely deadened to sound reflection sounds pretty ideal...I mean isn't that pretty much what a vocal booth is?

I am really leaning towards using the closet, mainly because I think it would feel like an actual vocal booth + it is much more discrete...but if it is without a doubt going to sound better in the bedroom I will set everything up in there, as I originally planned. What do you guys think?

By the way, I know you guys are really good with all of this stuff and you know what is optimal for recording, but these are my two choices...so if you could, I'd like to know which is best, not what would be better than either setup. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The larger bedroom is much better. More here:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan

Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to use the bigger room.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search