The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My new "mix room"...treatment opinions? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

My new "mix room"...treatment opinions?

Well, I think I've finally come to a point where I can begin to treat and prepare my new room. I don't have a desk yet. I plan on building one. I also don't have a recording computer or interface anymore. I sold my old ones with intentions to upgrade and that's next after I set a good plan for the treatment. My hope is to get my main areas of concern and then fine tune treatment when I can test it properly.

Attached is a Google SketchUp of my mix room. A couple of things of note...

- The small thing on the wall is the thermostat. That can't be moved or covered so I'll have to build any treatment around it.
- The door closest to the thermostat is a closet
- The second door is the door to the bathroom. I was thinking of building around it and making my treatment (wood slats if needed) on hinges to be able to get through it.
- I put a single simple light in the center of the room with the intent to build a cloud and put recessed lighting in the cloud

I welcome treatment suggestions or plans. I'm hoping to buy all my wood (for slats, treatment framing, etc) and OC703 soon. One particular point I'm wondering is if I should go with hanging bass traps in the corners or super chunks.

I've done quite a bit of research on the topic of building and some on actual treatment (I have Rod's book and have read it a few times). I've been out of the game a while (because I just moved into my new house that was built) so I'm needing some refreshing. Another point that I'd like some direction on is where and when it is appropriate to use wood slats, etc. I've looked at quite a few of John Sayers' Sketchup drawings and plenty of pictures.

I can take actual pictures of the room if necessary. I'm not really worried too much about sound proofing. I'll be tracking in the room across the way from the bathroom (it's a Jack & Jill bath). But I'm a hobby recorder and I don't really do it on a regular basis. My nearest neighbor is quite far away. Two of the walls of the room are outside walls, which are brick. The area of the house we sleep in is on the opposite end, but that doesn't really matter.

Hope I didn't miss anything! Would sure appreciate some help/direction to get me going. I'm itching to get in this room and start using it but I know I have a lot of work ahead of me first.

I started to have my builder double up on drywall and do a staggered stud system for the room but I was already 30k deep on having to put in my own money on the house. I don't record often enough to worry that much about sound proofing. So...I elected not to do that. Just FYI.
Attached Thumbnails
My new "mix room"...treatment opinions?-mix-room.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp Mix Room.skp (258.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad_Rocker View Post
One particular point I'm wondering is if I should go with hanging bass traps in the corners or super chunks.
If you have the option to make superchunks, they will enable better absorbtion than straddle traps.

Quote:
Another point that I'd like some direction on is where and when it is appropriate to use wood slats, etc.
Slat walls/panels enables you efficient LF reduction, while at the same time allows you to pleasantly preserve mid and high frequencys through deflection and dispersion in control and live rooms + they look cooool. i.e. they enable you LF reduction (through tuned or broadband use) without making your room to 'dead'.

Keep in mind that the way your set up is arranged right now (with an absorbtive rear wall) you wont get the later arriving energy that your deflective panels are redirecting out of your sweet spot. They will still give you good SBIR reduction from the sidewalls though (better than regular absorbtive panels would), they will still have a good go at your 'breath based' modes (especially if they are tuned according to your modal issues) and they will still yield a comfortable working environment due to their 'diffused reflections' and their nice aesthetics.

Another thing is that your front wall is left bare, so if you are planning to have the speakers free standing, you will get SBIR from the front wall. The rug i would only use at the 'floor reflection points', otherwise i would leave the floor 'hard' as much as possible. Also... i would skip the superchunks at the rear wall and just make an absorbtive backwall with an airgap behind it (if you intend to keep the rear wall completely absorbed) or you could skip the airgap an fill up the space completely.

Cheers,
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
If you have the option to make superchunks, they will enable better absorbtion than straddle traps.
But could straddle traps with slats provide better "tuning" to the room? In other words could they double as broadband use and bass trapping through the use of slats?

Quote:
Another thing is that your front wall is left bare, so if you are planning to have the speakers free standing, you will get SBIR from the front wall.
I forgot to mention that that front wall is not complete. I plan on having just broadband absorption there with free standing speakers. I'm mounting a 42" LCD on that wall on an extending swing arm. So, the front wall will pretty much be like the back wall.

Quote:
The rug i would only use at the 'floor reflection points', otherwise i would leave the floor 'hard' as much as possible.
Would the rug really matter that much at all? I'm only using it for aesthetics, really. Plus something for my desk to sit on and my chair to be on.

Quote:
Also... i would skip the superchunks at the rear wall and just make an absorbtive backwall with an airgap behind it (if your intend to keep the rear wall completely absorbtive) or you could skip the airgap an fill up the space completely.
So...no bass trapping at the rear of the room? Seems...I don't know...wrong to not have bass trapping there.

Really appreciate the response, by the way. Thanks.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
But could straddle traps with slats provide better "tuning" to the room? In other words could they double as broadband use and bass trapping through the use of slats?
Implementing slats in front of bass traps can indeed increase the bass absorbtion, but you do need to know how to design them properly. I have attached a design made by John Brandt. (it's been attached by Mr Brandt earlier during other threads, so i hope it's ok if i attach it here instead of linking you to the thread)

Quote:
I forgot to mention that that front wall is not complete. I plan on having just broadband absorption there with free standing speakers. I'm mounting a 42" LCD on that wall on an extending swing arm. So, the front wall will pretty much be like the back wall.

Quote:
Would the rug really matter that much at all? I'm only using it for aesthetics, really. Plus something for my desk to sit on and my chair to be on.?
A rug is good for reducing primary reflection of the floor. The reason i recommended you to confine it to the front of the room, is because it is comfortable to be able to roll chairs and equipment racks etc., around easily. If you dont have a cloud installed at the back of the room, you could have a small rug there aswell (to prevent flutters between floor-ceiling at the rear part of the room).

Quote:
So...no bass trapping at the rear of the room? Seems...I don't know...wrong to not have bass trapping there.
No bass trapping?? heh Your whole rear wall (including the rear corners) would be one large bass trap. thumbsup

Bass traps aren't only useful in corners. A big/thick rear wall bass trap would help to attenuate your longitude modes (which will be your lowest modal issues - which will need the most extensive trapping) front wall trapping will help with this aswell, as it is cituated on the same 'modal axis'. Superchunks/corner traps in the front of the room are very good for attenuating the interference caused the speakers close boundarys (as is the front wall/side wall/ trapping in the front, a thick ceiling cloud above the listening position/speakers, and floor-wall and wall-ceiling traps near the speakers and the listening position aswell.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Corner membrane trap with slats.pdf (121.6 KB, 160 views)
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

For the record

Also... Of course corner traps placed anywhere in the room will help to tame your modal behavior (just to be clear).

Cheers,
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also... Of course corner traps placed anywhere in the room will help to tame your modal behavior (just to be clear).

Cheers,
Thanks for the input. From what I gather, I'm on the right track. Just for clarification, though...

Should I go with superchunks or hanging straddling traps in the corners...or should I mix them up. Straddling in the front of the room and super chunks in the rear.

Also, should I put slats on all the corner bass traps? What if they're superchucks? Would slats work on those?

Sorry, I just don't totally understand the details.

By the way, here's where I'm getting my ideas: http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Should I go with superchunks or hanging straddling traps in the corners...or should I mix them up. Straddling in the front of the room and super chunks in the rear.
If you can superchunk the wall-wall corners, that is superior to straddles. Then it's usually a good idea to straddle the remaining corners (floor-wall and wall-ceiling corners), but with your setup there wont be much space for straddles as your front/rear wall absorbers and side wall slat absorbers will cover up your floor-wall and wall-ceiling corners for you. thumbsup

Quote:
Also, should I put slats on all the corner bass traps? What if they're superchucks? Would slats work on those?
If you want to make superchunks, make superchunks. If you want to make corner slat absorbers, make corner slat absorbers. i.e. follow the designs, i wouldn't mix the different designs.

Consider if slat absorbers would be beneficial at the rear. There is the possibilty of getting undesirable reflections back to the sweet spot. The front wall on the other hand is more safe in this regard. So perhaps superchunks at the rear and slats in the front might be a good option.

Quote:
By the way, here's where I'm getting my ideas: Wall Units
Thanks for the link Myriad, that's pretty cool. What amazes me is how remarkably similar that Sayer setup is to my own (see attachment), which is the product of the debates and discussions during my build thread. The only difference is the slats in front of the corner traps (i used superchunks) but i plan on covering my whole front wall with slats, just to avoid a too dead environment (and to make it more beutiful).

What should be mentioned also is that this design is (from a monitoring point of view) completely anechoic (since the rear wall is completely absorbtive) and the reflections preserved is purely used for creature comfort and not ment to influence the listening/monitoring i.e. the only difference between the slat panels (as opposed to regular absorbers) is a better LF reduction, reflections that prevent your room from becoming too dead (and obtrusive to work in) and a more pleasing appearance.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
My new "mix room"...treatment opinions?-sorens-cr-above.jpg  
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search