The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Treating a small control room - specifics to focus on ? Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Treating a small control room - specifics to focus on ?

I'm in the process of moving across into a new studio space. The space isn't absolutely ideal but all in all it's pretty good and by far the best option i've been offered in the past four years so i have to make do with the associated negatives. The primary negative is a small control room.

The control room is a cuboid - 7'9" wide, 7' high, and 15' long. As far as i can tell it's constructed with a timber frame and skinned internally and externally with plasterboard/drywall.

I've been reading a lot of good advice here on gearslutz and i've digested a number of excellent treatment articles via links which have been posted in this forum, but i wanted to start a thread directly and see what responses i get in advance of starting the actual treatment work.

I'm in the process of building a bunch of bass traps. I'm pretty handy so i don't have a problem with the joinery etc. The traps are basically 4' x 2' in size and around 6" deep. I'm using a combination of Wickes high density (Heavy Density Insulation - Constructional Insulation - Insulation -Building Materials - Wickes) and general purpose (General Purpose Insulation Slab - Constructional Insulation - Insulation -Building Materials - Wickes) insulation slabs. The trap frames are made from pine boards with the centre sections drilled out to achieve more absorption. I will cover in an appropriate fabric once i get my head around the actual construction work.

I intend to place the traps primarily around the listening position (front corners, front wall to ceiling), and at the back of the room (rear corners). I expect i may build a further four (or more), which i'll add to the room where appropriate once i've taken some measurements.

Beyond this, i have ten 4' x 1' sheets of acoustic foam which i plan to attach to both the side walls (listening position) and ceiling. I'm also trying to build two small diffusors from various wooden offcuts i have lying around.

I'm no expert in terms of acoustics, but i'm more than willing to put the work in to get this as right as possible. What i want to know is this, given the size/dimensions of the room is there a certain area where i should specifically concentrate my efforts (ie bass traps) ? Or am i going generally in the right direction as explained above ?

I'll try and get a few photos online in the coming week.

Thanks....thumbsup
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

The short answer is a room like that needs as many bass traps as you can manage. The more traps you have, the closer to flat you'll get. It's that simple. Then add absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points, and you're done.

--Ethan

Gear Head

Thanks Ethan, that's a big help. Building DIY traps is relatively cheap so i'm happy to concentrate on putting as many together as i can. Should i aim to install full length floor-ceiling traps in the room corners ?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyIronLung View Post
Should i aim to install full length floor-ceiling traps in the room corners ?
Of course. heh

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search