The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please comment on my small mix room treatment Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Please comment on my small mix room treatment

After reading up on articles over at Realtraps.com, GIKacoustics.com and plenty of forum searching, I decided to jump in and try start treating my small mix room. The walls are 70's wood paneling over what seems to be a very old plaster.
I would love advice from anyone experienced with this kind of stuff and thoughts on how I've done so far?

The dimensions of my room are
-6.75ft wide
-13ft deep (11.8ft on closet side)
-8.4ft high ceilings
There is a shallow closet in the back left corner that is about 3.5ft wide x 1.5ft deep. This makes the length of the room 11.8ft where the closet is.

I've setup the mix position by the window and on the opposite side of the closet. There are two doors, one on back wall and one on the right side near mix position. Of course the one near mix is the one that goes into the rest of the apartment, while the back door goes into the hallway.

The treatment I've done so far consists of:
-six 4" panels (made up of 2" 703 & 2" 705) straddling the ceiling corners.. there are two on each side and one at front and one in back (that is really only touching ceiling due to closet).
-a 4'x4'x4" ceiling cloud (703) 5 inches from ceiling.
-two 2" panels (703) on each side of mix position to absorb reflections.
- as well as a 2'x4'x4" panel mounted on the rear door.

I have an extra 2-3 pieces of 703 I can use if needed, but not sure of the best way to use them at the moment. I also have books and other assorted items in the closet in hopes they act as poor mans diffusion.

A few questions I do have are:
Will the back wall ceiling panel that is just touching ceiling and not wall be effective as a bass trap? there is a foot gap behind it due to the closet.. I would have to cut it down to 38" if it needs to touch all along wall as well as ceiling.
What do you think of making superchunk that is only 1.5ft thick so it fills the front corners, but does not go all the way down the corner?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks for dealing with my lo-tech and somewhat accurate sketch...

Hope this makes sense..
Thanks,
Chris
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

I know that crude drawing is pretty hard to make out, I'm not very good with sketchup software either... so here are some photos.
Any experienced thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

That bass trap in the back works fine like that. How's it sound? How does it look tested with REW or similar?

Neil
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

The room sounds much better than it did without any treatment..
It was so awful, I didn't really do much mixing before I started working on it.

I will pick up an SPL meter this holiday break so I can Wizz the room, I know that will tell much more than photos or bad drawings. I was just curious if anything looked obviously like a bad decision.. besides the green burlap

Will post REW results as soon as I can.

Thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search