The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
home based project studio Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

home based project studio

Hey all, I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I love the wealth of information and insight available on these forums... Anyways I will be starting construction of my basement studio come the new year and I've sketched up the design. It's small: mix room is 13'x10' and the live room 12'x11' both with a 7.5' ceiling height (nearly 8.5' if including headroom between the floor joists).
I'm primarily concerned with room treatment. Isolation is only of concern between the mixing and tracking rooms. I know it is acoustically more desirable to have a larger mixing room but for my purposes I require a separate live room. My plan is to install a drop ceiling using 2'x4' panels of 4" rockwool @ 7' ceiling height in both rooms. I'm hoping the absorbent ceiling with an airspace above it will be more effective than a higher, reflective one.
I'll be bass trapping all corners and absorbers on early reflection points.
My primary question is if there's any advantage to using QRD diffusion on the rear wall of a mixing room this size?
Will any diffusion be more harmful than beneficial?
I was considering building a 4 " bass trap/QRD diffuser combo across the entire back wall but maybe it's best to have a completely dead room given the size and just go with the trapping?
Any thoughts and criticisms are welcome. I've attached some pics for your reference.
Thanks,
Morgan
Attached Thumbnails
home based project studio-studiotopview.jpg   home based project studio-studiocr1.jpg   home based project studio-studiocr2.jpg   home based project studio-studiocr3.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobong View Post
My primary question is if there's any advantage to using QRD diffusion on the rear wall of a mixing room this size?
Yes, I think so. This assumes you'll be near the "38 percent" point from the front wall, which puts you almost ten feet away from the diffusors. But even if you were closer diffusion would be useful.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

Thanks Ethan,
So I'd assume it's best to use a combination of absorption and diffusion on the rear wall....
Another question: Is there a recommended method of diffusion for a drum room this small?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You could line most of the walls with diffusion, though that gets pretty expensive even if you DIY.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

i have read that diffusers work best if placed a minimum 6.5' from the source. In a room this size would it be best to place an absorber opposite any diffuser? what if i lined two perpendicular walls with diffusers and made the opposite two fully absorbent? Gobos could then be used to further deaden or liven the room...
Thanks,
Morgan
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i have read that diffusers work best if placed a minimum 6.5' from the source. In a room this size would it be best to place an absorber opposite any diffuser? what if i lined two perpendicular walls with diffusers and made the opposite two fully absorbent? Gobos could then be used to further deaden or liven the room...
Thanks,
Morgan
This could work, but it also might not. (Just the answer you were looking for right?) For the live room, I'd say get a bunch of diffusers and a bunch of absorbers, then go experiment with a number of different setups. Only diffusers, only absorbers, half and half, diffusers on opposite walls, diffusers on adjacent walls...you get the idea. As opposed to a control room, you don't need a flat response...it just has to sound good!
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrognome View Post
As opposed to a control room, you don't need a flat response...it just has to sound good!
My thoughts exactly. Looks like it's trial, error and time unless someone has done this before and cares to weigh in...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
what if i lined two perpendicular walls with diffusers and made the opposite two fully absorbent?
For a control room you need symmetry, so opposing side walls should be treated the same. For a live room I might make one entire wall diffusive and the other absorptive. It depends on a lot of things, mainly budget and room size.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

This is what I will try. Budget isn't an issue just the size of my room (specs in op). I'll likely diffuse the wall with the window and absorb the opposite. The other walls will have a combination of diffusion and absorption. So stoked to get started!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search