The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New studio - need help with acoustics
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Question New studio - need help with acoustics

Hi guys, I need some advice on making a decent studio acoustics environment.

I have a small home studio based in a very small room, mostly used for MIDI programming and recording plugged instruments only. No actual mic recording apart from some demos, since I neither have the acoustics to support it, nor an independent control room for monitoring while recording.

So lately I wanted to expand, making my studio a little more recording and mixing capable. I am willing to use the 3rd floor of the house for my purposes. It's surface is around 30 sq. meters, that's about 100 sq. feet. I'm thinking about dividing it into a live and control room, so that I can record decently.

My aim is to make it as good as possible without spending a fortune on acoustic studies and stuff. Here's where I need all the help. Do you think I will have a good result if I use ready made acoustics sets, like these for example?

Studio Accoustics Sets - Greek International Cyberstore

Does anyone have to propose something else? I'm all ears!

P.S. Keep in mind I will most probably NOT be recording drums. I would surely need more space and a room in a room construction or something like that. That would be way out of my budget.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Gear Head

Thanks for the link. I will read it ASAP. In the meantime if anyone else has something further to share, I'd be glad. Thanks again.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

hralman,

If at all possible I recommend that you proportion your rooms to a minimum volume of 1500 cubic feet. Length times width times height = volume.

Although it is possible to work in a smaller room, your chances of making translatable mixes go down with the room volume.

Read ALL of Ethan's articles. Check my publications for more info and calculators. Good luck with your studio.

Cheers,
John
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

New studio - need help with acoustics

I will study everything and plan accordingly. Thanks so much for all the precious info!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search