The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice? Studio Monitors
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
You could even remove the porous behind the perforations if you have a porous layer in front of the openings without decreasing the performance severely (but the fc will shift naturally) since you still have a resistance close to the openings:

Attachment 202476
/Jens
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi guys, here's an update on tests i ran today, to measure the effect of the large bales of fluffy attic insulation behind the 4" panels on the front corners.

For a laugh, i also have one at the back left for the time being. The other one is placed near the other side. At the (side) first reflection points, i have my 4" traps, with 2" traps in front of them. These 2" traps are going to be the ones going up above mix spot. They're just leaning against the wall at the moment. They need to be higher, as do the 244's behind the actual speakers.

You can see the current layout in the pics attached. Again, it's not finished, i know i need more spread around the room. I'm going to have more panels behind the sofa on the side (4") and also on the plain white side wall. I have more made, just need to cover them in fabric.

The results: my FuzzMeasure Pro trial is coming to an end, so the waterfall plots won't work. I may be eligible for education discount as i do some research work, so i'll look into that.

But for now, from the freq. plots, you can see a strange null on the right speaker at around 91hz. Other than that, you can see that there is a fair amount of improvement in terms of smoothing things out under 100Hz, but nothing amazing. I'll also add that these 'new' tests are about 15-20cm closer towards the front wall, which is realistically where my head really is when working.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-1-1.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-2-1.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-3-1.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-4-1.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-5.jpg  

Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-freq-left-new.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-freq-right-new.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-freq-left-older.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-freq-right-older.png  
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

I tried to create waterfalls using my laptop which has Fuzzmeasure installed (although the readings were taken using the Mac Pro), but the results are bizarre? It never seems to decay, no matter how much i zoom out. Is this because i'm using an 'expired' Fuzzmeasure Pro to take the measurements, or have i set the 'Min Magnitude' set too low?
Attached Thumbnails
Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-waterfall-left-new.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-waterfall-right-new.png  
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Guru
Both

The lowest modes can be quite long.
Try Min Magnitude of -50 -45, even -40, whatever it takes. Let's try 800mS Duration or longer if necessary.
I would lose the NS10's and go vertical with the ADAMs
Your Cloud and side RFZs will make a big difference when installed in the right place. You can make those pictures appear directly in your posts using the paperclip.

DD
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

Check out my revised waterfall plots. They don't look right to me - too low in resolution? I guess this must be something to do with 'demo mode'. That's 800ms long, -40min magnitude. Of course, these results will improve as there's more panels spread around the main section of the room, etc.

In other news, i made 3 more 2" traps, and managed (with great sustained effort from me and 2 friends) to hang one of them up under the stairs. All that wood for the staircase is thin/cheap pine, but this should help out. Getting it straight was a nightmare heh.I'm going to put a large bale of fluffy 'under the stairs', in the little compartment, hopefully that will soak up some low end action, it will sit along at the floor/wall corner.

I also have rockwool to build 2 more 4" traps - and then i'm done when it comes to porous absorption, for a while.

The curtain to close off the kitchen area will really help out in terms of reflections too (i hope/imagine).

The mix cloud will be hung towards the end of next week, as i'm getting my girlfriend's father (handyman extraordinaire) to help out.

Still need to build stands for all my 4" 2 x 4 panels, to get them up to height - might make a new thread about that.

It looks like i'm going to have to build the perf traps, but with actually working on actual music (imagine that!) and building and researching (and measuring) stuff, it's a real juggle!

Cheers, i'll reply to specific stuff soon!

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-waterfall-right-new2.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-waterfall-left-new2.png   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-trapunderstairs.jpg  
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
You are ultimately doing 2 things 1) you're building a tuned trap, 2) you're planning an using a porous absorber for your first reflections. You might be stacking them or not depending on where that trap and first reflection point are located relative to each other. You will also be adjust that relationship to make it work... So I'd suggest solving the trapping requirement first and the sort the first reflection after and sort any interactions then. If they stack, cool...
Cheers Glenn, this is how i see it too.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
The lowest modes can be quite long.
Try Min Magnitude of -50 -45, even -40, whatever it takes. Let's try 800mS Duration or longer if necessary.
I would lose the NS10's and go vertical with the ADAMs
Your Cloud and side RFZs will make a big difference when installed in the right place. You can make those pictures appear directly in your posts using the paperclip.

DD
Hey man,

So today, i realised your wildest fantasies heh:

I haven't adjusted the height of my stands yet, but if i sit with a straight back, they are pretty much at ear level (the tweeters). I haven't rotated the tweeters yet either (how could that make any difference?). Ports are out at the moment, so sub-woofers at the bottom i believe. I haven't messed with positioning too much, but they are about 175cm apart, tweeter from tweeter. I don't want to sit that far away, so i'm inside the equilateral triangle, about 135cm away from tweeters.

Subjectively, things sound a bit more 'hifi', and a lot more like all the speakers i think my ears have been used to hearing my entire life. Imaging is really cool, i think this is the main difference, not the bass. Then i did some tests. Here are some before (horizontal) and after (vertical) freq plots for both speakers - i apologise for not having the exact same axis on each graph, but i was slightly rushed, and will conduct more testing soon:

Left-Horizontal:

Left-Vertical:

Right-Horizontal:

Right-Vertical:

Conclusions: There is a slight improvement, no massive deal, but worth going with as any improvement is good. The 64-65Hz peak is down about 1db on the left, and 2.5db on the right. Also, the 'rest' below has come up a tiny bit so that the peak doesn't seem so ridiculous. Worryingly though, quite a few new, drastic nulls are introduced, and i have something weird going on with the right speaker - possibly because there's no rear corner or something? Any suggestions? I also have a 275Hz null on both speakers, i need to look into that. However, i'm not sure if the 1 and 3db reductions and 'pleasant' imaging are worth the new extreme nulls.

My cloud should help as the speakers are obviously closer to the ceiling now, so the nulls could be from that - however that will only be 2 inch, and won't be until the end of the coming week.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any comments at all, on anything! The graphs still look a little ridiculous to me, and compared to the original ones i did, i don't really feel like i've achieved very much at all

So far, despite my opinion that they look really silly and unstable vertically (my plans of my studio looking super cool are vanishing with haste), i think they will stay like this for now while i experiment. I will lower the stands by 10cm tomorrow and experiment with the width and listening distance. I've been reading down and found something to contradict that i was 'subs down', so i need to double check that. It could well be a room height mode, although that doesn't correlate exactly with my results.

Thanks for reading this very long post (and long thread)

Eddie
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, this is what my 'under construction' back area (oooh matron etc) is looking like. A *LOT* of insulation. And a lot more you can't see. All in vain, eh.

Next time I'm going to move the Hammond and drums to see if they're causing issues. Guitar amp too. The Hammond is a perforated wooden box anyhow!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-2.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo-1.jpg   Room analysis shows large 64hz peak - details + pics - any advice?-photo1.jpg  
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

The Rockwool.com folk aren't replying. I guess i'll have to look elsewhere for the correct rockwool for the perf. traps.

I'll do more measurements tonight. I have done a lot to the back wall and moved the side panels up much higher, so it will be interesting (for me at least)

Cheers

Eddie

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search