The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First Studio Build Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

First Studio Build

Hi I have recently found a space to start a studio build in. attached is a quick sketchup of my initial ideas.

Its purpose is to fit a quality control room, and some useful recording spaces into a space 6.6m x 6.25m x 4.4m (LxWxH)

So far I am thinking of splitting the space down the middle, with a bigger space for the drums and control room, and a brighter recording space in the other smaller side.

I have Rod Gervais' book for info on the wall construction, ventilation, doors and windows, however would appreciate advice on

1. wether I should split the room in a different way or at all,

2. Listening position; I have PMC TB2's and am hunting for the TLE1 sub to match, however I have had trouble placing them well, and so far in my design am trying to keep them well away from any walls, and to have my listening position at least 1.5 metres away from them. This complicates having the listening position 1/3rd of the way into the room, however I am thinking that due to the good height in this room it will be less of an issue if the listening position ends up in the middle of the room. Any advice there?

3. My colour coded bass trap/diffusion etc plan is just some quick thoughts. please comment?

4. I recently visited a mastering facility in south melbourne where all the acoustic treatment was resonating panels. set up in semi circles against the walls. I would like to make a fantastic control room, is it worth exploring this method or just go with rockwool?

thanks all
Attached Files
File Type: skp studio sketch 1.skp (76.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Anyone on any of my 4 questions?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I might have commented, but I don't have Sketchup. If you post in a public forum you should use JPG or GIF image files so everyone can see them.

--Ethan

Gear Nut

ah right! apologies. here is a jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
First Studio Build-studio-sketch.jpg  
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

1. I prefer a single large room, especially if the the studio is mostly for yourself. You might benefit from two rooms if you plan to record full bands for hire.

2. The best place for a subwoofer is where the overall response is flattest. This means you need to measure the LF response at high resolution as you experiment with placement.

3. That all looks fine but you need more bass traps. Remember, rectangle rooms have 12 corners, not just 4.

4. I don't know what "resonating panels" means without more detail. Is that mastering room similar in size to your control room?

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search