The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What monitorstands to take for Focal Twin6? Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac
What monitorstands to take for Focal Twin6?

I'm looking for speakerstands for my future Focal Twin6's, and would really like to have some advice!
I have looked at a couple of monitorstands but none, except for the too expensive k&m 26795
+ 26792 plate
I would buy the plates and put them on the K&M 26740 - U.K. International Cyberstore but they made them only compatible with the most expensive model..

What speakerstand should I consider?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I love my Sound Anchors. I have the "regular" ones for ADAMs and the special ones for the Barefoots and they are great.
Old 22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabriMix View Post
thumbsup Excellent service from Seb

Nikolas
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac
cool thx for the tip! I sent an inquiry. I'm currently leaning towards these alot, and putting stones/bricks under them to extend the length. my listening position is over 1.30 meter/4 foot

JASPERS 80-113-SB - Dutch International Cyberstore
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

i have my twins on the cheaper k&m's you mentioned... millenium bs-3000 are exactly the same stands (there's even a quality control note from k&m), but cheaper. Millenium BS-3000 Monitorstand

the platform is not that big, so you need to place them exactly in the center (or you could build your own bigger plate with metal or wood) but other than that, the stands are very solid and IMHO a good value.

i thought about the ultimate stands, but theses would be fixed height.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac
yeah I also saw those, first I thought it'd be better to thrust the original but now I see your post I think it is really cool that it has quality control by k&m!

only downside is I can't weld and wouldn't know how to get that plate broadened to the same quality as one of those K&M plates you buy for 50 euro..
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I got an offer by a welding company to make steel stands for a neat price, what makes a speakerstand resonate so I can tell them exactly what to do and not to do?

- should the deck plate be slighly smaller than the surface of the speaker to eliminate any possible reflection, or is it good as long as I place the speaker so there is no metal in front of it ?

the focal twin6 measures 50x34 cm and the o300 measures 38,3 x 29 cm.. I have not made my decision yet, should the big plate be degrading the sound if I decide to get the o300?

- should I ask for a triangular base with rubber pins under it, or a round one?

- any other things to keep in mind / tell the maker?

thx!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

aquinox,

Speaker stands should either be very heavy to absorb structure bourne noise, or have spikes to mechanically isolate them for achieving acoustic separation. Ideally you can do both. In this way the speakers are prevented from causing their environment in general and the speaker stands in particular to resonate due to self oscillation. A bass heavy speaker mounted on a very light wooden stand, can cause the stand to oscillate and produce a very washed out bass sound.

The spikes have a small supporting surface, and long waves (low tones) can't be transmitted across a small surface. Aswell as great mass needs a great deal of energy before it oscillates.

Cheers,
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricaudio View Post
thumbsup Excellent service from Seb

Nikolas
thumbsup
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Adding

A relatively cheap way to achieve great mass, is to fill up the speaker stands with sand (making it heavier).

Cheers,
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
aquinox,

Speaker stands should either be very heavy to absorb structure bourne noise, or have spikes to mechanically isolate them for achieving acoustic separation. Ideally you can do both. In this way the speakers are prevented from causing their environment in general and the speaker stands in particular to resonate due to self oscillation. A bass heavy speaker mounted on a very light wooden stand, can cause the stand to oscillate and produce a very washed out bass sound.

The spikes have a small supporting surface, and long waves (low tones) can't be transmitted across a small surface. Aswell as great mass needs a great deal of energy before it oscillates.

Cheers,
Thanks, about the spikes and weight I knew, but are there things the maker should keep in mind to not induce resonance? hollow tube + deckplate + triangular foot + rubber cones = win?
(possibly with detachable deckplate so I can fill the hollow tube with sand)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
thumbsup
yeah I sent them a message but no reply so far.. I bet it is pretty expensive as well, while this service is pretty cheap..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SörenHjalmarsson View Post
A relatively cheap way to achieve great mass, is to fill up the speaker stands with sand (making it heavier).

Cheers,
thx for the tip, saw it in other threads. would you just fill a sack of sand in a sandpit somewhere or would you buy 'clean' sand in a store?

I spoke to the one willing to make a speakerstand for me, he suggested to make a hole in the pillar so I could fill it with sand- is making the hole bad for resonance?
He suggested a square base instead of the triangular base (triangular poses more stability from what I read here).

He suggested to use spikes under the feet and then have soft rubberish material plate under it. What do you think?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

buy 'kiln dried sand' from a DIY store, it needs to be dry
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac
is a tripod bottom more prone to vibrations? any objections against that design?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac
would this be a good option for the twins?

Proel KP820

height is good and the plate is pretty wide!
Old 9th August 2015
Gear Nut

I have emailed Towersonic but they wont reply. Anyone know how to get ahold of them? thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search