The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where do i start with my completely untreated room? Bass Traps
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Where do i start with my completely untreated room?

OK i've had a look at other peoples untreated rooms, and i must say my room looks much worser lol :(.

Treatment is needed solely for recording vocals.

I have been recording vocals for some time now and i just can't seem to get the right sound, i'm convinced it's my poor room acoustics.

I have no knowledge on room treatment .

I have attached images of my room with dimensions.

I just need some expert advice on what i should do to my room to make it sound better. I'm on a fairly low budget £300/400 max. By the way i use a SE reflexion filter booth and record towards the window. Thanks
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Principles

The biggest source of damage to the pure sound of the voice entering the mic is nearby reflections. Kill them all.....
Move away from the walls when recording. The centre of the room probably but definitely not near anything.
You need something overhead. A four inch panel with a four inch airgap above it would be great. A group of similar panels on stands all around you will complete the job. We sometimes see a semi circle behind the mic and it causes me to wonder. That is in the reject side of a cardioid mic. I have seen panels behind, but again the head must block sound coming from that direction. Experiment with these notions, it is easy to hear the room sound.
Reflection filters are too small to do a big job.
GIK and RealTraps have bigger efforts but full size panels on stands would be even better. Great for other recordings and mixing also.
Panels can be attached to mic stands or manufacturer's stands. I note SOS frequently recommend a duvet draped over a horizontal mic stand boom.
Good, but be careful that the duvet surface is not acoustically reflective.

DD
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amature08 View Post
You're not also mixing? In that case our PVB will do a great job for less money / effort than treating the entire room, as Dan said. Photo below.

--Ethan

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

hi ethan, in the picture from what i can make out, theres a metal hinge directly behind the mic?

Why is this?

does that hinge have any absorbtion properties?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

thanks guyz. What about the floor? isnt carpet suppose to be bad?

dandan

would your recommendation get rid of the dullness and bassyness?

ethan

room only used for recording, no mixing. would that PVB by itself really do the job?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK i've had a look at other peoples untreated rooms, and i must say my room looks much worser lol :(.

I have been recording vocals for some time now and i just can't seem to get the right sound, i'm convinced it's my poor room acoustics.

I have no knowledge on room treatment .

I have attached images of my room with dimensions.

I just need some expert advice on what i should do to my room to make it sound better. I'm on a fairly low budget £300/400 max. By the way i use a SE reflexion filter booth and record towards the window. Thanks
If you're looking for inexpensive and quick, grab some thick bedding like comforters or something and some push pins. Pin the bedding up on the walls making a point to create folds and wrinkles. The flatter it is, the less good it's going to do. The more surfaces you can treat this way the better.

Another option is to find a closet big enough to stand in and push all the clothes to the sides ...don't take them out... and set up your mic in the middle then use the bedding on the ceiling or door to dampen the sound further if you need to.

Corners are your enemy. Find ways to round them out with bedding or something to absorb sound.

The idea is killing reflections. Try talking out loud in your room and as you speak, walk into a closet or an area you've treated as I described above. If you've managed to do any good, you should hear the difference immediately.

If you are able to kill the reflections and you still aren't getting the results you want, you have to start thinking about mics.

Good luck dude.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

One other thing...I was looking at your room and I actually think that this would be a good room to mix in with minor treatment because of the wierd, rounded shape in the ceiling above the smaller bed. The room will naturally have fewer standing waves to contend with.

You should try to use the rounded part to your advantage...even in recording your vocals. It will make the reflective characteristics of the room quite unique. You might be surprised at the results of simply repositioning your mic so that you're facing that rounded part and treating the wall behind you.

Just try different setups until you find one that you like.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru
Odd

Quote:
dandan

would your recommendation get rid of the dullness and bassyness?
Yes. Good vocal booths are pretty much anechoic, no reflections at all. You might expect the recordings to sound dead and dull with all that absorption. The opposite is the case. The vocal hits the mic with no destructive reflections to dull it. Real clarity. Great for acoustic guitar also.

DD
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsrepair View Post
One other thing...I was looking at your room and I actually think that this would be a good room to mix in with minor treatment because of the wierd, rounded shape in the ceiling above the smaller bed. The room will naturally have fewer standing waves to contend with.
This is FALSE. There will be plenty of standing waves. The curve doesn't fix that. Standing waves are not specular.

You just need lots of 4" (or thicker) porous broadband absorption at ALL reflection points, including the ceiling. A rug on the floor helps those reflections.

Generally speaking, specular reflections in vocal recordings take away from intelligibility and crispness. Use digital reverb/delays for space if you don't have a great room.

Neil
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcimple View Post
does that hinge have any absorbtion properties?
No, but the hinge is narrow so there's no problem with reflections. With acoustics, what matters is total surface area.

--Ethan

Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
room only used for recording, no mixing. would that PVB by itself really do the job?
Yes, it will do the job by itself. There are two "slide show" videos on the RealTraps site that let you hear Before and After in two different small live sounding rooms:

RealTraps - PVB Demo (Doug)
RealTraps - PVB Demo (Kelly)

--Ethan

Gear Head

How about my low ceiling? It's only 6 foot high!!

I've had to attenuate between 10-15db for 120hz and 200hz frequencies, is this normal? or is because of the bass build up in the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes, it will do the job by itself. There are two "slide show" videos on the RealTraps site that let you hear Before and After in two different small live sounding rooms:

RealTraps - PVB Demo (Doug)
RealTraps - PVB Demo (Kelly)

--Ethan

Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Probably bass build-up in the room. Corner bass traps always help, and so does absorption above the microphone and singer. Or record sitting down to reduce the strength of ceiling reflections.

--Ethan

Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
The biggest source of damage to the pure sound of the voice entering the mic is nearby reflections. Kill them all.....
Move away from the walls when recording. The centre of the room probably but definitely not near anything.
You need something overhead. A four inch panel with a four inch airgap above it would be great. A group of similar panels on stands all around you will complete the job. We sometimes see a semi circle behind the mic and it causes me to wonder. That is in the reject side of a cardioid mic. I have seen panels behind, but again the head must block sound coming from that direction. Experiment with these notions, it is easy to hear the room sound.
Reflection filters are too small to do a big job.
GIK and RealTraps have bigger efforts but full size panels on stands would be even better. Great for other recordings and mixing also.
Panels can be attached to mic stands or manufacturer's stands. I note SOS frequently recommend a duvet draped over a horizontal mic stand boom.
Good, but be careful that the duvet surface is not acoustically reflective.

DD
whats the difference in bass traps and acoustic panels?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru
Basics

There are well written articles introducing the basics of room treatment and setup at RealTraps and GIK, studiotips.com and johnlsayers.com
Everyone starting has the same questions, so the are almost all answered in those articles. Try that, and if some specific questions appear, or some difficulty in understanding, do come back to us.
DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search