The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Garage studio build help/planning
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Garage studio build help/planning

Hi guys.

I've been lurking here for a while, and I really appreciate the wealth of information to be found.

I am just beginning to plan for a studio build that I'd like to begin this upcoming summer. I would like to convert my two-car garage into a studio. My budget isn't very big, probably about $10k. But I won't close in on a budget until I get a little farther into the planning and have a few talks with my wife.

All I really want is descent isolation from my neighbors and from the rest of the house, and a way to isolate guitar amps and hopefully a drum set from the control room (I know you guys will most likely recommend leaving this space as one big room, but I really want some instrument isolation). I'd also like an entrance into the studio so that people don't need to come though my house to get in.

My garage (whose layout/dimensions are in the attached pic) is only attached to the house on one side (the left one in the pic). The section with the washer/dryer and hot water heater is actually a raised step. I think this section needs to be left alone so we can keep those appliances there. I was thinking a wall could be built just on the other side of that step.

So at this point I'm just looking for general layout suggestions and tips. I'm beginning to read through Rod Gervais' "Build It Like The Pros" book which I'm sure will give me some good tips.

I really appreciate any advice from you guys. Sorry I can't be too specific at this point, I'm just starting out the planning and hoping to eventually start being more specific. Let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Garage studio build help/planning-garage.jpg  
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Isolation to/from neighbors... You will need a room-in-a-room. Be sure to follow Rod's directions in the book. Read it a few times.

You will need to build in from the existing garage door and seal the door up well. The door will not be operable if you do this right.

You could probably do the isolation for about $10K. I would plan on about 14k doing it yourself.

How much transmission loss do you require? If you build to your requirements, you may not need as much money. Isolation gets expensive.

I would also recommend building an optimum control room and use it as a one room studio. (your tracking room will be large and so will your control room).

Cheers,
John
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply John.

I'm not sure how to quantify the amount of transmission loss I will need. I don't need absolute silence, and my neighbors are used to a bit of noise from my guitar amps.

And John, what is your reasoning behind recommending keeping it as one room? I would really like to at least have a way to isolate guitar amps during recording.

And yes, I'll be reading through Rod's book a few times I'm sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search