The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking at soffits.. sort of Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looking at soffits.. sort of

I'm perfectly happy with my Barefoots for mixing (well.. almost!) - but say I've got a guitarist or bass player etc.. in the control room laying down some tracks, I thought It'd be nice for them to be able to play on a big sounding system, simply to get a better feel for their take

The room I'm in has provision for soffits. I don't think the walls are strictly designed for them, but like I said perfect acoustics or mixing abilities on them isn't really what I'm looking at

I guess what I was wondering was is could I simply make a wood or MDF sheet to suitable size, and mount some speakers in there? Ideally, not even worrying about a proper enclosure. I'd just aim to get a big punchy sound. You can see in the picture below the idea of where they'd go. They'd just be powered by some high output power amp (500W per side or so). Maybe two 15" and a horn, or some tweeters and mids.. ? What do you think?

Old 19th December 2010
SAC

A few misc. thoughts.

First, I am not sure what is going on in the area of the picture where the speakers you are referring to would be installed. (I assume they are speakers...)

Are you talking about replacing whatever is already there?

Also, you might want to review the tutorial section of the Genelec websight for information on the proper method to soffit mount speakers, as you do not "simply make a wood or MDF sheet to suitable size, and mount some speakers in there" - unless you adhere to the process defined in the Genelec site - in which case,, assuming proper mounting and mechanical decoupling, you can adjust the surrounding 'baffle' with MDF and a resilient gasket such as might be cut from a thin rubber sheet in a manner similar to what you state. (Pardon me for any misinterpretation of you meaning...so i am just mentioning this to make sure that, despite the semantics of descriptions, that we are on the same page with the details...)

...and on another tangent, stand those MTM/D'Appolito configured monitors vertically!
And better still, mount all of the bridge positioned speakers on stands located several feet behind the board at the same height they are presently.

Their present position negates just about all of the room treatment you have implemented as a result of both board reflections and also because of the vertically oriented polar lobing created by the horizontal MTM speaker configuration !
And this is a much more significant issue than that of soffit mounting (a configuration that I am very much in favor)

(...ever vigilant and on the watch, and prepared to duck - if i am not laughing too hard - lest those informed(sic) folks again appear to tell us that in-wall, flush mounting and soffit mounting refer to different things...heh )
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 SAC

I'd suggest headphones for the players. Blowing out your ears for the sake of recording guitar or bass isn't going to be worth it. Use a gamer chair connected to your sub output if they need to "feel it"....
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
+1 SAC

I'd suggest headphones for the players. Blowing out your ears for the sake of recording guitar or bass isn't going to be worth it. Use a gamer chair connected to your sub output if they need to "feel it"....
That's brilliant.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

No joke. I have a pair and I cover with plastic during sessions to avoid any cleanup problems due to involuntary reactions when someone hits the low D or lower C# or that double kick drum roll...

Takes sub to a whole new level...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo View Post
No joke. I have a pair and I cover with plastic during sessions to avoid any involuntary reactions when someone hits the low D or lower C#...
That is even more brilliant.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

that's an interesting suggestion!

Ok, firstly, that picture is and old one and a lot has changed since. I have barefoots on sound anchor stands, and a pair of older Tannoy Reveals on the meter bridge (which rarely get used) - this was the best picture I could find to show the speaker things I mean - which In fact are not speakers at all, just a cloth covered board used to cover the whole where speakers once where

Thanks for the Genelec site link, I'll have a good look into that

Headphones, of course, I do have many headphones and a decent headphone setup, but some people just don't really get into their playing with a pair of headphones. They can try, and do, but to really get the performance I want out of them at times I can see a large set of speakers really making the difference

I appreciate your thoughts on speaker positioning though. I did have the barefoots hanging over the meter bridge but they indeed are now a few feet back which has made a great difference. I'm tempted to push them even further
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

maybe a compromise is a small stand mounted monitor which you can put near the performer? this way they can each get some volume the way they like it and it's somewhat away from you at the desk. if it gets too loud maybe you can monitor via headphones. otherwise i'd say you need to stick them in their own booth and a monitor goes in there with them
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looking at soffits.. sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullfo
No joke. I have a pair and I cover with plastic during sessions to avoid any cleanup problems due to involuntary reactions when someone hits the low D or lower C# or that double kick drum roll...

Takes sub to a whole new level...
Yuck. That hasn't actually happened, has it?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

suffice it to say that "involuntary" is the operative word, but fortunately nothing of significance to date.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search