The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strange Room Need Assistance Room Kits
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Smile Strange Room Need Assistance

Hey Folks, I would love some help on how to treat my first studio!

My studio will be a Project studio for two functions:
-Mixing
-Tracking Vocals

-My Budget is $900

-I would rather do it commercially rather then DIY. (Time constraints)

My genre is Dance/R&B Music so definately going to have to control the bass.

I have read through Ethan's Guide and several others and here are where I'm stuck.

Part LABELED A:
First of all if you take a look at the pictures I have this random projection at the end of the room which gives me two more corners. The back wall is where I was going to measure from to put my mixing position but that weird alcove projecting out of the wall is confusing me. Even if I don't put my mix position there and put it long ways how do I treat that spot?

I also have this portion that hangs down labeled part B, and I'm not sure how that affects things either because it also makes the room more irregular. Oh and it houses an air vent.

Too add to all this there is a closet.

The two choices I am looking at are

Primacoustic London 12a Kit and the

GIK Acoustics Room Package #3

Many people have vouched for GIK on here so I took a look at them. They are both about the same price, but Primacoustic talks about using a LEDE (live end dead end) system of some sort that is supposed to be ideal for rooms you mix and record in, and I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on it.

Here are the schematics.

Its about 190 square feet without the closet.

Thank you for all your help folks, you are a resource that cannot be valued enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Strange Room Need Assistance-anotherview3-copy.jpg   Strange Room Need Assistance-toppp.jpg   Strange Room Need Assistance-anotherview1.jpg   Strange Room Need Assistance-weird.jpg  
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd fill that front alcove/closet with insulation and or hangers and cover with cloth. Either of those kits may be too small for your needs but presumably you are time and budget constrained. I'd use the GIK setup since the single rear bass trap would sit nicely on your door. Realistically you probably need more but to get started what other options do you have? If you don't have a lot of isolation, a good amount of bass can simply escape in adjoining spaces and therefore reduce your need to trap in the room. So the mid and HF bits will need more treatment when you can afford more.
Old 19th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback Glenn, so I am assuming you mean that I should still put my mixing position against the back wall not along the long side?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by opthewin View Post
Thanks for the feedback Glenn, so I am assuming you mean that I should still put my mixing position against the back wall not along the long side?
Yes you want to face the short wall.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search