The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Isolating on building Channel Strip Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Isolating on building

Hello all, i was thinking to rent a seriously cheap space in a building basement, its not exactly a basement, because is half under floor level. One of my first concerns is how to achieve floor isolating, i was reading Rod Gervais book, but materials and construction differ a lot in europe from what a read in Rod´s book. This would be in an existing building, with an already existing concrete floor and neighbours upstairs, and i couldn´t find a proper response. I would apppreciate some input on isolating techniques in floor and ceilings, i think i´m clear with walls, mass concepts and airtight construction, but i feel a bit loss about floor and ceilings. You can see plan and photos attached, draft is in meters but not in scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Isolating on building-lg1.jpg   Isolating on building-lg2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PLANO LAGO CONSTANZA.pdf (4.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 19th December 2010
Please some input on here
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

If the floor slab is on grade (on the ground) then depending on how noisy your studio will be and how noise-sensitive the neighbours then you probably don't need to float the floor.

A heavy ceiling (multiple layers plasterboard) may or may not be able to be suspended from the floor above - this is a question for a structural engineer. This would be done using anti-vibration hangers. Alternatively, the new ceiling could be supported from new ceiling joists that span across the whole room. These new joists would be supported on the new walls that you build.
Old 19th December 2010
The studio would be quite noisy, i wanted to do an airtight construction within the space, using multiple layers of drywall with insulation and decoupling, i was thinking on susing sand over the existing floor for decoupling, and then build over the new floor, without floating it. I will avoid the columns you can see in the drawing, as i think this could represent a problem on transmiting to the building structure. I´m not really sure if the floor is on grade, or is it maybe a garage down there (i dont think so) but my real concern is, would the floor transmit the vibration to the whole building, even if it is on grade
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search