The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think of my Control Room Design Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

What do you think of my Control Room Design

Hi I am in the process of designing my control room, a room with in a room hopefully all decoupled.
I have some knowledge of acoustics and general idea of studio design from past experience and lots of research, I am not an expert all though I have spoken to a few experts in the past I don’t feel phased by what they say. Just to give you an idea of where I am at.

Armed with all the above I am in the process of designing my room .
I thought I would post my design so far to get some feed back
I have come up with the design so far based on the available space and best ratios for a control room, I want a control room and a live room to use for recoding bands and mixing to a professional standard.
I am at the stage of deciding weather I want straight walls or should angle them so as not to have equal and opposite, should I slope the ceiling.

I was looking at room modes I came a cross a very interesting webpage (http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm) where you enter your dimensions and it displays all the modes and so on, I adjusted my walls to meet one of the ideal ratios.
A few questions I have should I be using the new dimensions for the control room or the existing ones to decide what’s going on in terms of room modes, I have read on the net to use for example the floor above height and not the ceiling height and the existing walls and not the new room dimensions, I don’t thing that makes any sense in my case .
The diagram shows the room and the new design
I should mention I am in the basement and the floor above is not concrete its floorboards, I have posted the layout of the basement so you can see where I am in relation to everyone else, I know this makes a lot of difference as to how sound waves may return into the room
Any suggestions with a very brief as to why would be appreciated
I will be posting pictures of the room and progress it’s a long project I think my be 6 month to year depending on budget and other work commitments, I am based in the UK East London.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of my Control Room Design-new-studio-layout-.jpg   What do you think of my Control Room Design-basememnt-layout.jpg  
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Shak,

The CR is way too small and you are facing the shorter dimension. This will place the back wall too close so that any reflections from the back will be destructive. You can not use diffusion there and you cannot make it non-environment because you would need at least 4 feet of trapping. You have an entry door in the reflection zone. You have angled corners. What is the purpose of these?

I recommend that you choose an RFZ design approach and make the total volume of the control room AT LEAST 1500 cubic feet. This is the minimum recommended volume for accuracy. A professional standard for accurate mixing/monitoring is easier to have in about 2500 - 3000 cubic feet. - with good modal support down to 20Hz.

What is the current ceiling height? to the bottom of the ceiling/floor joists? Maybe my room mode calculator would be more helpful to you. --- Don't get stuck on 'ratios'. Use what works within your limitations. An important indicator is the Bonello Distribution chart. You will want good distribution down to the lowest mode.

Cheers,
John
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi John I relised once I posted that I may be facing the wrong way from the other posts.
The ceiling height to the bottom of the rafters is 7.8 and all the way up to the next level past the rafters is 8.75.
The corners are shaped like that because I was planning to mount speakers in the wall so they are just represented by the angled walls for now.
The problem I have is leaving enough live area that makes sense and retaining that traditional studio look desk up against the window, looking at the performer’s I will have a look at your mode calculator and catch up on the bonello distribution chart .

So you recommend 1500 cubic feet, i just had a look at the recommended dimensions chart from your site (great place for this sort of info by the way ) and it seems that my studio ceiling hight is going to pose a problem i don't have the option to dig the basement its a listed building and the local council are lets just say not friendly, any way around this you think.

Thanks Shak
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think you would be better served with a single large room, and a modest sized isolation/booth room.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

roughly like this:

What do you think of my Control Room Design-fda.jpg
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

unfortunately i have to accommodate live bands the whole project centers around recording more live stuff so its a bit of a battle how much space i give them and what I can retain for myself for the control room.
I already have a control room currently used mostly for mixing its a small room 14x11 and 7.8 high with a small vocal booth but it sounds terrible I find it very difficult to mix in due to room modes.

The thing that am afraid of is if I divide this room up it looks just like my other control room and am reluctant to do that as I fear it will sound just as bad.

But through this process I have learnt quit a bit so I may use the knowledge to do a bit of fault finding there while i ponder over this one.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

here's an idea to increase the CR a bit and lose a slight amount of space for air lock - or simply consume that into the live room and deal without one. alternatively, give up the separate vox and expand the CR into that space.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of my Control Room Design-shak-studio.jpg  
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi Glenn thanks for your design I like the idea its kind of along the lines of my original, I will probably take out the air lock corridor, its funny i just removed that partion it was only a divider partion so not doing much in the way of acoustics, I cant believe the difference it makes to the space its so much bigger.I have the feeling that my final design may be along these lines.

I will also be needing a machine room so I think that can go into the vocal booth split in two the rest of the space can act as a corridor as it’s a fire exit as well as vocal booth.
the Bonello for this design doesn’t look too bad as well, I want to make sure I get as much space as possible, John suggested a minimum of 1500 cubic feet.
Since raising this topic its made me think, the bonello for the whole space looks like the ideal one and I wouldn’t mind looking into the idea of designing the whole room as a mix space and some way of temporary movable partions that can be moved around to create a separation for when we are tracking or just to use the space for rehearsal.

I don’t know if anyone has come across a multi use studio I know it was quite common in the early days to record in the same room am wondering if anyone has managed to incorporate it into a modern design, i would like to explore as many possibilities before committing its not every day you get the opportunity to do this
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Shak,

I agree that you should try to get the most out of the space you already have instead of carving it up. You can definitely record and mix in the same space. The only problem (but not insurmountable) would be live drums. The one room studios are coming back, especially since many recordings these days are done one track at a time. Movable partitions can help with separation and portable diffusion panels can help with ensemble during the recording of acoustic groups.

Cheers,
John
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

Hi guys as promised some pictures of the studio project
I have spent the last month taking out the existing partions as you can see from the picture the room is all clear except from the vocal booth in the far right corner, this will be coming out as well.

apologies for the panoramic picture I pasted three pics to give you an idea of the whole room in one.

Ok I have decided to take both John's and johndykstra's advice on one room studio.
The good thing is that i dont need to build a room in a room no more this is it.

what I do need is some ideas for removable partion's and the best way to treat the room to make it sound right for mixing.
I have looked at the standard partions but i was wondering if anyone has used anything for similar purpose.

The partions are needed just to split the room and provide some isolation enough to monitor what is being recorded as well as allowing the room to be used for rehearsals when not recording and mixing.

The room is live as you would expect not to sure where to start with treatment some pointers for working out problem spots would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the look and feel goes I think making use of the existing features is the go, the studio is in the basement of an 18th century town hall so am thinking of striping one for the walls to revel the brick work and leaving the rest pretty much as is with a little tidy up.

I am also very keen to find studios that already work form one room, have not come across anything.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

after a long battle with the local council to do something about the Damp conditions and deteriorating external walls of the basement I decided to move out as they were not prepared to do anything but still wanted way above commercial rent.

local council being London borough of Tower Hamlets would never deal with them again if I can help it, full of incompetent illiterate buffoons their leader being the biggest.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search