The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any & all input needed for studio!
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Any & all input needed for studio!

Ok, here's the deal, I am in the planning stages of my studio. I have done a fair amount of research on differant sizes and shapes of studios , and well frankly I'm stuck! I have carpentry experience ( building structures ) as well as many other ventures heh. Ok, No Stick, No Bush. I have a garage, 25' x 18', and am going to add a 14' x 16', see attached for layout. I need ideas on the best possible ways to layout on a $8,000 budget.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Any & all input needed for studio!-studio-1.jpg  
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Depending on where you are in the world, $8,000 is not enough or $8,000 is incredibly insufficient.

Where are you in the world? Prices range widely in different parts of the world.

Andre
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Plus, there's so little information it's impossible to offer any real advice. OP, is your budget for construction only or for gear and treatment too? Do you need sound isolation between you and neighbors? Is this a studio to record others for hire, or just for yourself? Etc.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

The monies is for construction only. Yes I will need sound isolation from neighbors, location will be in Missouri. I do plan on studio for hire I have separated the budget for build$8,000, treatment$2,000, and gear$5,000. Need any other info, plz let me know.

Thanks
Old 18th December 2010
SAC

Before you invest any money into a facility that you imagine is intended for professional use, you NEED to develop a basic business plan.

Not only is the above feedback valid, but you need to have a coherent well thought out business plan that adequately addresses just how you imagine that you will successfully generate an ongoing cashflow.

And without such a plan, i would not invest a penny in the facility - except to the degree that you will use it for your own enjoyment as a hobby.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch_73 View Post
Yes I will need sound isolation from neighbors ... budget for build $8,000
I'm not a construction expert, but having "only" $8k for construction could be a problem if you need a lot of isolation. I'll let others advise you on that, but it will help if you describe the proposed location in detail, such as the existing floor and wall materials, proximity to neighbors and to the road, etc.

--Ethan

Here for the gear

OK, here goes, the existing structure has a concrete floor 4" thick, 2x4 walls exposed, no sheetrock or anything, outside the framing, good old black board 1/2" thick, pink insulation board 1/2" thick, finally wood siding 3/8" thick i believe. The neighbor to my left is approx. 85' away, neighbor across the street approx.. 80', neighbor across the street isn't a problem, he's helping to have access to the studio . The street is 16' feet from the big garage door. We typically only have about 2 dozen cars ect. a day. Our house is 4' away. The back side of our house is wooded.

My plan is to build a lower ceiling under the garage door so that it is still usable, i at least had planned on an entry point through the big door for moving equipment in and out. The garage has 8' ceilings, exposed rafters. 2x8 framing for the roof joists.

I had read about 'Double Walling', and I think that is the way im leaning currently, 2x4 thick with an 1" air gap between the walls.

I really want to utilize all the space I can for the 'Live Room' and the 'Control Room' I would like put in the addition. The addition will be 2x6 outer walls and inner walls 2x4 with an 1" air gap. 2x10 for the roof joists. Oh yea, the rear entry door to the garage is steel solid core, 36".

If there is any more info anyone needs, plz let me know.
Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search