The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Help Needed Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Acoustic Help Needed

Hello... I'm hoping one of you pros can help me out here. I recently got an argosy console (Argosy Dual 15K-825 Keyboard Workstation by Argosy Console, Inc.). I have a small room (roughly 8ft by 12ft with 8ft ceilings). I have the room treated with bass traps in the corners, absorption on the side walls and diffusors above and behind the listening position. However, right in the area where I want the sweet spot to be (seated directly at my keboard), the bass all but vanishes. I have to slide my chair back about a foot and then I can hear the bass clearly. I have dynaudio bm6a montors and they sit on top of the left and right racks. The console is positioned toward the 8 ft wall which has windows but is covered by curtains. The monitors sit about 3 feet from the wall and my listening position is roughly in the center of the room. It seems like maybe when I scoot back, I hear the bass coming from under the console or something but I really have no idea.

Can someone offer any advice on what is occurring or make a recommendation on how I can change my setup to get the sweet spot hitting in the middle of my listening position?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Your room is very small. That's the problem. I understand your predicament but is there any other room you can use? In that room you have 768 cubic feet - half the recommended minimum volume for a critical mix/listening room.

The two 8' dimensions are not helping either as will give you an amazing null centered between the side walls and ceiling/floor - where you must be. Right around 70/140Hz.

That console would be nice in a 2500 cubic foot room. I'm sorry if this is not more helpful.

Cheers,
John
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Most rectangular rooms have a severe bass null at the center of the room, making it one of the worst places for a mix position. Scoot your chair back as far as you have until it sounds right, then move your console, monitors, and other equipment that same distance back.

EDIT: looks like JH Brandt beat me to it. The two 8 ft dimensions are indeed far from ideal. If you have to mix in there, then you'll work with what you got. Just roll your chair around and find the most even listening position.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcekode View Post
Can someone offer any advice on what is occurring or make a recommendation on how I can change my setup to get the sweet spot hitting in the middle of my listening position?
You say you have "bass traps in the corners," but you don't say how many traps or which corners. Others told you the room is small, which you know. But if that's the only room you have, then the obvious solution is more bass traps. Wall-ceiling corners are good, as are wall-floor corners where possible. More bass traps flat on the front and rear walls will help further. The more traps you add, the closer to flat you'll get. It's that simple. Even 20 thick 2x4 traps would not be too many if your goal is excellence.

--Ethan

Gear Maniac

Thank you guys so much! I knew I could rely on this forum for answers. I will follow placement suggestions and add more bass trapping but that explains what I'm experiencing precisely. The null is right at the center of the room. I wish I had a better room to use but it's all I've got at the moment so I have to make it work. Again, thank you all for the replies. thumbsup
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcekode View Post
The null is right at the center of the room.
Then don't sit there while listening. heh

This article explains the "38 percent rule":

How to set up a room

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search