The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Square room vs 8" monitors Studio Monitors
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Square room vs 8" monitors

Hi guys,
It's my first post here and I'm looking for some advice on setting up my first bedroom studio.

The room is 13 ft x 12 ft x 8 ft. It has a small closet 3' x 3' added to it with the doors. The closet is pretty stuffed already with the clothes. My desk is located in front of a window that's centered on the wall. The wall on right is an empty wall with a nightstand in the corner and entry doors. Behind me I have a bed and empty wall and on the left side another empty wall with the doors to closet and a bookshelf in the corner.
Now it's a brief description of the room but I'm looking for few advices.
My number one issue is that on christmas I'm supposed to get a pair of monitors. Now I'm concerned with getting either Yamahas hs50m or hs80m. However, I'm afraid that the hs80m with the 8" driver will make the bass be really messy in that room. On the other hand I'm making electro-house/dubstep genre music and I'm afraid that 5" might be too small.
Would anyone give an advice which one to get ?
Secondly I was doing some research on bass traps and I was thinking about getting this kit to fix the acoustics a little bit. Do you think it would be helpful ? Link to the kit

Thank you for any kind of advice ! I appreciate it a lot !
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'd go with whichever has the more flat frequency response and more extended bass response. In other words: get the speakers that sound the best!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would skip the Auralex Foam. Look at getting real bass traps from GIK or Realtraps etc. or making your own. Here is a basic guide if you decide to DIY: http://www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf

The GIK and Realtraps sites have some good advice on acoustics and where to place bass traps.
Old 16th December 2010
SAC

The size of the driver has no necessary correlation to the quality of the room's bass/modal response.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks guys !
I was looking at the GIK room kit #1, however the price for now is kinda high, but the DIY traps look like something I could be able to put together over the weekends if I have enough funds. So, I think I'm gonna go with the 8" drivers and do the traps miself. Is it enough if the trap won't do a whole stretch from the floor to the ceiling, but rather be like 5-6' placed in the center of the corner ?
Old 16th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majti View Post
Thanks guys !
I was looking at the GIK room kit #1, however the price for now is kinda high, but the DIY traps look like something I could be able to put together over the weekends if I have enough funds. So, I think I'm gonna go with the 8" drivers and do the traps miself. Is it enough if the trap won't do a whole stretch from the floor to the ceiling, but rather be like 5-6' placed in the center of the corner ?
No + better treat the corners (floor\ceiling\walls) not the middle of the straight edge shaped by walls
Old 16th December 2010
JWL
Lives for gear

Your biggest need in a square room will be bass trapping. If GIK stuff is out of your price range your best bet is to DIY. Don't waste your time with foam, you need so much of it to get even decent bass absorption it isn't worth it in most cases.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Now I'm concerned with getting either Yamahas hs50m or hs80m. However, I'm afraid that the hs80m with the 8" driver will make the bass be really messy in that room. On the other hand I'm making electro-house/dubstep genre music and I'm afraid that 5" might be too small.
The bass is still going to be messy with hs50ms. I actually have a pair of hs80ms and love them. For the money you really can't go wrong.

Do you have monitors now? If so maybe you should skip new ones and treat the room properly. No monitor is going to solve a crappy room.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Do you have monitors now? If so maybe you should skip new ones and treat the room properly. No monitor is going to solve a crappy room.

Hear, hear
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Right now I have a 2.1 speaker system in my room. Some cheap stuff from Altec Lansing. But the point is that I'm going to get the hs80ms as a gift for Christmas, so skipping the monitors is not really an "option" hehe xD. But yeah I just ordered OC703 pack of 6 and this weekend I'm going to build the frame so when my insulation comes I can just put it together and have 3 bass traps ready. I'm thinking about placing them in back 2 corners and on the ceiling or back wall. Is it a good choice for now ?
Plus one more question, does putting like a bookshelf in the corner helps a little or not really ?
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Not sure how your room is set up but generally it is best to start with the front corners. You can try it both ways to see which is better though.

Your going to love the 80's. thumbsup
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

My room is fairly empty. I have a desk with the laptop and speakers on it (I set it up 38% of the length of room, although it is ehhh unfortunately square) and I have a bed right behind me and bookshelf in the left corner. That is all. Sometimes I use a cheap method of putting the mattress on my back while I'm sitting xD The bass sounds much clearer then however my back is killing me =] the mattress is too heavy ( my cheap way of acoustic treatment as of now hah)

Hopefully I will love them, but I'm definitely gonna work on my acoustics to love them even more =]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search