The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Earthing Problem? Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Earthing Problem?

Hi, really not sure if this the place to be but dunno where else it would go.

I bought a power adapter to convert my australian plug to a UK plug (now livin in UK). I have monitor speakers, laptop and soundcard all powered off same board.

I recently changed adapter for laptop power from big ass international one to a smaller single adapter I bought off Amazon.

The second I plugged my laptop into the board an ugly hybrid hiss/hum noise started comming through my speakers. Then I changed back to the old adapter and it went away.

The new cheap adapter has
"does not earth with side contact earth plugs"
written on it and a 13A fuse in it.

Any ideas what causing the hum, as far as I'm aware this is a ground loop problem, though I know FA about electrics as such.

:Luca
Old 16th December 2010

Obviously that power supply for the laprock is kicking all kinds of noise out. Since the currents have a path to ground through some of the audio gear, you hear it in your speakers....

Can you run balanced connectors between your "soundcard" and monitors?

-tINY

Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Luca,

I have seen this many times with laptops that have a grounded power connection.

The problem is that sometimes the manufacturers connect the 'common' wire on the DC side of the supply to the ground. - This is can be one of the + or - connections in that laptop and not necessarily the chassis ground. This will present a different reference within the laptop compared to any outboard gear that is also grounded - causing the buzz.

Your best bet is to use an ungrounded power connection and use a chassis ground connection for that reference. Attach a ground wire to the aux VGA connector or any type connector on the lappie that you can get a small screw into to connect to the chassis ground. Use a lift on the lappie power supply. - either that, or buy a laptop power supply that is 'isolated' but grounded for safety.

Cheers,
John
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey thanks for the replies, I really know little about grounding and that so this is really good info for me

I had the laptop made by ADK pro audio and the power supply sent through them. I know I don't really know what I'm talking about but I reckon they wouldn't have sent a dud wiring job.

Also what makes me say this is, when I use the universal travel adaptor (still using the same power suply, just with different connector to fit in wall socket) that has no fuse in it I get absolutely no noise, but then when I plug in the one I got from Amazon.co.uk which has a fuse in it and is marked 'fused' thats when the hum shows up.

So i really think its the little wall socket adapter not the power supply.

So bearing in mind I have been using the same power supply unit but with different adapters on the end to fit into the wall sockets in different countries,
I guess my question now would be, could the adapter with the fuse cause the hum, whereas a 'unfused' adapter (such is the one I usually use) would not?..

:Luca
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca1 View Post
So bearing in mind I have been using the same power supply unit but with different adapters on the end to fit into the wall sockets in different countries,
I guess my question now would be, could the adapter with the fuse cause the hum, whereas a 'unfused' adapter (such is the one I usually use) would not?..
Luca,

It is very possible. It could be that the adapter that is giving you fits is earthing something that it's not suppose to.
-- Like the doctor on the old 'Hee Haw' show would always say when his patient asked him, "Hay doc! whenever I do this... My arm really hurts!" Doc's reply, "Well, Don't do that!"

Like I always say sometimes... If it's not broke, don't fix it. (Get rid of the adapter that gives you problems)

Cheers,
John
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Luca,

Like I always say sometimes... If it's not broke, don't fix it. (Get rid of the adapter that gives you problems)

Cheers,
John
Bwa ha yeah makes sense! :D

I'm just trying to figure it out for the next time I buy a little travel adapter cause I need a couple of them to plug in my other gear. At the moment I only have enough for my laptop (that doesn't hum) but need to plug in my Kaoss pad and other things.

Then when I go to Europe to play I will need adapters there, just don't want to get caught out.

The adapter that makes no hum says it has a fuse and has 'T2.5AH' written on it, is this a 2.5 amp fuse? Where as the dodgy plug says it has a 13 amp fuse in it.. hmmm. Maybe I should just buy another adapter from somewhere else and see how I go..
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search