The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Temp Vocal Booth Idea . . . good or bad?
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Temp Vocal Booth Idea . . . good or bad?

Hi there ... I've been doing some amateur voice acting for the past year and have been slowly working on improving my sound.

The room I've been recording in is in the basement and has no windows. It's approx 10' x 14' and reflects like mad. To deal with reflections, I've tacked packing blankets to the ceiling which hang down to form a kind of booth. I'd like to replace it with something better.

I've attached a rough diagram of what I have in mind. The panels would be simple frames with fabric covered 2" thick Roxul RHT 40 (same as CO 703, I'm told). I'm also planning to hang a couple from the ceiling over it all as a cloud.

What I'm hoping to minimize with this:
- reflections
- ambient noise (computer fan, heating vent noise when furnace is blowing).
- the sound of my voice reaching the next room

I know this isn't going to be sound proof. I'm just looking for an fairly simple and not-too-expensive way to improve my sound.

I would love to treat the entire room properly, but can't justify the cost since it's just a spare time hobby at the moment.

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to this, so if this idea is out to lunch, please tell me! haha .. .

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Temp Vocal Booth Idea . . . good or bad?-temp_vox_booth.jpg  
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru
Booth

A couple of points in no particular order.
A corner location will increase the bass response. This is fine if you are Barry White.....
The centre or 38% into the room would have less problems. Vocals happen pretty rarely. You could make portable traps on stands to surround the vocalist or other sound when recording. If this is also a mix room, the cloud can do double duty. I always prefer 4 inch fibre.
DD
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the feedback!

I will only be recording vocals. No instruments.

- Would putting a bass trap in that corner help? My back would be facing that corner during recording.

- Would doubling the panel thickness (4" instead of 2") improve things even more?

I'm sorta restricted to using that corner due to the set up of my computer and the placement of the furnace vent (which is in the ceiling and blows downward) and lighting fixtures.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru
Yes

Back to the corner is a great idea.
Yes a bass trap will help, a Superchunk floor to ceiling would be ideal.
4 inches is always better IMHO.
DD
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
I've tacked packing blankets to the ceiling which hang down to form a kind of booth. I'd like to replace it with something better.
Better is rigid fiberglass or rock wool as you proposed. But I see no need for an enclosed booth, and plenty of reasons to recommend against a booth. More here:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan

Lives for gear

I agree. Some mobile 'gobos' with absorption on them would be a much better solution. You could move them out of the way when not in use. Low frequencies inside the 'booth' would benefit as well.

Neil
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Better is rigid fiberglass or rock wool as you proposed. But I see no need for an enclosed booth, and plenty of reasons to recommend against a booth. More here:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan

I don't believe gobos alone can significantly reduce the issue of the ceiling vent noise (central heating). Living in Northern Alberta (Canada), turning off the furnace isn't really an option. That's why I'm looking for a more enclosed solution.

So given the space I have to work with and it's issues, is this little oddball design (with a bass trap in the corner) all that bad? Should I go for 4" thick panels as DanDan suggests? It would be more money than I had planned to spend, but the Roxul supplier's price is quite reasonable.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

If you need to reduce furnace noise getting into the microphones, then I agree an enclosed room is justified. In that case avoid a square or nearly square shape. If it were me, I'd make the booth a plain rectangle, using my Graphical Mode Calculator program to find the best dimensions for whatever ceiling height you'll have in there.

--Ethan

JWL
Lives for gear

Another thing you can do to help with HVAC noise is to point the null of your microphone toward the vent. This combined with good gobo placement can help to a surprising degree.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I really appreciate it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search