The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustics quote Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Acoustics quote

Hello,

I'm moving premises in to a new space , mostly for composition and music production .

I'm renting a room in a building for creative types. I'm trying to get my acoustics sorted out. I've got hold of a door to help with the noise which was around £1000 .

I'm talking to the same company about some acoustic panels. They quoted me some large panels which are 2.7m by 1.2 on each long wall of my room. They are £120 each which seems pretty good.

I'm concerned by the fact however they don't seem to be considering where I'm going to be positioning my monitors etc , haven't commented on the double glazed window down one end of the room and seem more interested in the reverb time of the room. They say they've calculated that without acoustic panels the reverb time of the room is already under 0.5 seconds which is what I want but they advise me to go for the panels anyway.

I'm not an expert of acoustics at all but why aren't they taking into account first reflection points, or doing something with the four corners of the room etc.

The room is shaped such that it's almost a 2 to 1 ratio of the long to short wall which will surely give me some problems.

Any input would be great.

Mike
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I understand your concern. I would look for another acoustician. If they are mostly interested in RT-times, they probably don’t have much experience with studio acoustics since this requires a lot more attention to detail than regular ”public space” acoustics.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Weirwood,

Sounds like this company might be into acoustics for public places and such. Optimization of a studio environment is very different from reducing fatiguing flutters and bringing down reverbe times in schools and sports halls etc... Or dealing with noise control for audible alarms and industrial machinery etc...

Make sure that they really are educated and experienced in this particular field of acoustics (studio acoustics), before you hire them to do anything.

Cheers,
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh! Jens was faster than me.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sounds like this company might be into acoustics for public places and such.
I can second that (or is it 3rd)!! In a small room the thing you want to deal with mostly is the low end, which bass trapping is going to be your friend.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies guys.

Here's some specs:Acoustics quote-performance.jpg

I don't know what I'm looking at really but it does seem to not really help my bass.

£120 each is pretty cheap though for the size of them.

How about I get two of those and then construct some bass traps out of rockwool?

I did a sound test so we could see if my mixing was going to intrude on other people and it was fine , the acoustics of the room with nothing in it was bad though. Lots of boomy bass.

EDIT: And you're completely correct, they are more into educational type halls etc.

Mike
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

The panels aren't suitable and £120 buys a a fair bit of rockwool/MDF etc. to make your own treatment.

If someone is concerned with RT times in a small room, they don't really know what they are talking about......RT is really only applicable to large spaces

Just build your own stuff full stop, there is plenty of advice on this forum
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Why aren't the panels suitable?

Mike
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dange View Post
The panels aren't suitable and £120 buys a a fair bit of rockwool/MDF etc. to make your own treatment.

If someone is concerned with RT times in a small room, they don't really know what they are talking about......RT is really only applicable to large spaces

Just build your own stuff full stop, there is plenty of advice on this forum
Hear, hear
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirwood View Post
Why aren't the panels suitable?
They just don't go low enough. They'll kill the highs and not touch the lows, where they are probably needed most.

What are the dimensions of the room?

You also give the impression that you've not asked the company directly about low end treatment and treatment for correct imaging such as absorbers at reflection points. Do this and see what they say.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi,

I'll find out what the room dimensions are.

I did ask the guy about bass treatment as that was the main problem I could hear when I did a sound test to see if we were going to disturb other people in the building.

I told him I was suprised that he did not want to put anything in the corners and he said it didn't matter where in the room the treatment was as long as its there.

I understand that they don't go low enough but what if they were in conjunction with bass traps?

I'll give him another email an let him know some of my concerns.. thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd look for someone else as this company does not seem to understand music studio acoustic treatment.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll find out what the room dimensions are..
That should have been one of their first questions...

Quote:
I did ask the guy about bass treatment as that was the main problem I could hear when I did a sound test to see if we were going to disturb other people in the building...
Bass traps wont help you with sound transmission between rooms. That kind of leakage are reduced via construction - using thick massive walls, and isolating the building structures - generally by floating the walls and floors. More here: http://www.jhbrandt.net/myths.pdf

Quote:
I told him I was suprised that he did not want to put anything in the corners and he said it didn't matter where in the room the treatment was as long as its there. ...
Well that kind of says it all... Of course it matters where the treatments are implemented. At least if you wish to reduce room modes and create a listening position that is free of primary reflections etc... (that's studio acoustics). If you merely wish to bring down the reverb time, of course anything that is placed inside of the room will help (like furniture, carpets and absorbtive panels etc...)

Quote:
I understand that they don't go low enough but what if they were in conjunction with bass traps?
They would still have the same employment... the bass traps would help with bass reduction and the panels would reduce flutters, bring down the reverb time or remove early reflections...

Quote:
I'll give him another email an let him know some of my concerns.. thanks for the help.
Like Dange said, ask him some standard questions about the usually occuring problems that arise in a studio.

How do you think i should create my reflection free zone (sidewalls, ceiling, floor, work surface)? by absorbtion, deflection or diffusion? And how do i determine the correct position for those devices?

Based on my room dimensions, what modal issues will i have? And how do i attenuate them?

Based on my room, what response do you recommend? a dead (anechoic) response? or should i aim to preserve lateral reflection with the help of diffusion in some way?

What response models do you usually work with? the RFZ model, LEDE, NE, etc., etc., etc., ???????.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
I'd look for someone else as this company does not seem to understand music studio acoustic treatment.
+1
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thats all great info thanks.!

Yes , i understand the panels and bass traps won't help with sound transmission. We tested the sound transmission and actually the specs of the building are good and we are replacing the entry door.

We did take the room measurements I just don't have them on me.

Thanks again
Mike
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search