The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CT and LR Ratios, the same principles? Suggested ratios for my studio build.
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Nut

CT and LR Ratios, the same principles? Suggested ratios for my studio build.

Hi.

I have a room with the following dimensions:

- Length: 41 feet /12.5 meters
- Width: 14.7 feet /4.5 meters
- Height: 13 feet /4 meters

I am going to build a:

- Control room
- Tracking room
- A small storage space

My suggestion so far is a CT and a TR based on M.M. Loudens know ratio 1: 1.40: 1.90 which will give me two rooms with the following dimensions:

H=3m, W=4,20m, L=5,70m

Even though I probably must sound proof the ceiling to some extent, i could in theory create the ceiling 3.6 meters instead of 3.0 meters. Would this be better?

Does the same theories regarding good ratios also go for a tracking room?

Do you have any suggestions on how I should devide the room and suggested dimensions?
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

ModeWiz is your friend.... I suggest you download it, and get familiar with the output & insight it provides. You can try out tons of candidate designs against various criteria.

Remember too, that mode spacing/density (and room ratios) is only one element of room design. You also want a target value (time and amplitude) for early/late reflections.

Your tracking room doesn't need the same mode spacing as your control room. And, it doesn't need to be 'perfect' (of course you don't want a ton of modes piling up in the same spot, making it too muddy). Personally I would want them to be different as you may want to track in the control room too at times. Diffusion/diffraction is important in a tracking room to help with monitoring, and to give a pleasant sound to distant mics. You might want to look at space couplers for the upper portion of your walls for your TR...

Cheers

Kris
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Guru
ModeWiz

+1 to everything Kris said.

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search