The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who makes the best "blankets" for sound absorbtion Studio Monitors
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Head

Who makes the best "blankets" for sound absorbtion

Im needing Something easy to take up and take down.

Ive checked out Audimute, Ebay, and Markertek. Ive looked into moving blankets etc. Has anyone come to a conclusion as to what is the best way to go?!?

Basically looking for whatever is "heaviest"
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

There is a company that makes them for Audio and Video shoots, black on one side and white on the other. They have gromitts built in for hanging and as far as I could tell were the heaviest ones around. Custom Blankets. Sound Blanket American Made Moving Blankets, MOVING BLANKET PACKING BLANKETS, Furniture Covers, Rubber

This would be good at the Hi highs, or take two of them and sew them together with some 4lb rockwool inside, arranged so that you can still fold them.

This will not sound proof your room! Sorry just had to get that out of the way.
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Head

No, Im aware of that :D

Thanks, Im setting up a jamspace with some friends and it's a SUPER reflective room (not overly huge either). We basically just want to tame it and be able to take down them after we're done!
Old 8th April 2010
SAC

Panels.

And the Z clips or other means to attach them are easily addressed with a touch of Spackle.

And if Spackle is too difficult, mount the panels on stands as GOBOS.
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Head

SAC.

Our room is about 20 x 15 by about 10 feet high. Concrete floor with a mixture of brick and drywall. Im not sure I can build enough panel coverage affordably, whereas I can cover all the walls fairly cheap and easy with these hangable blankets.

Would the panels be that much more effective?!? (Im guessing double the cost, and a fair amount of work to make them, although I would object to make a few more) I tried a DIY project a short while back with some ROXUL, but I found dealign with the coverings to be a pain in the ass. With my limited tools and skill they looked lousy

But if I get that much more efficiency , I might ask the other guys if we could combine our talents to make some.
Old 8th April 2010
SAC

In my opinion, it is definitely worth it.

Not only is a simple frame easy to make with even hand saw, miter box (if necessary) and a hand drill in conjunction with semi-rigid Fiberglas and unbleached muslin and a staple gun - they are reusable in any future space you will have. And you can even easily change the covering for a more upscale look in the future if the situation demands... Aligning and stretching fabric need not be difficult at all.

That compared with the cost and inefficiency of an acoustic blanket combined with the limited future usefulness of the investment would make the decision pretty easy for me.

...especially as packing blankets will do little else then help mitigate flutter echo - which I suspect is NOT your most critical issue!heh

Oh, and you need not even fasten them to the wall or make stands. You could simply lean the panels against the wall as needed.
Old 20th April 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026 View Post
No, Im aware of that :D

Thanks, Im setting up a jamspace with some friends and it's a SUPER reflective room (not overly huge either). We basically just want to tame it and be able to take down them after we're done!

Audimute Sound Absorption Sheets have proved to be highly effective sound attenuation materials, helping hundreds of customers on a quest of how to dampen sound. However, it’s critical to understand that sound absorption sheets work extremely well as sound absorbent materials by absorbing echoes and reverberation, NOT as sound barriers. This means that hanging Audimute Sound Absorption Sheets in your room will NOT block sound from entering and exiting, but rather will reduce the sound pressure levels in the space producing a quieter environment both inside and outside the treated space.

In other words this is a great product to tame your jam room.

Last edited by Audimute; 20th April 2010 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

same people who make the best scissors for putting with of course!

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

sound blanket

I just received some producer's choice sound blankets, white on one side and black on the other 6' x 6.5'. They smell like some kind of petroleum distillate.

They are supposed to weigh about 8 pounds each. Since they are black and very light gray, I can use them for photo/video lighting purposes without changing the color of light.

Also the white, um, light gray side makes a good reflector and the black side a subtractive reflector.

They also have gray ones that are somewhat lighter and less money.

Some b or bw ones are available with grommets for hanging.

But I bought them to be portable and cut down on reflections in a live room.

I can hear the difference when I speak with one near my head. Not very scientific, I know, and they sure are not doing soundproofing.

Still, easier to port around than fiberglass.

http://www.moverssupplies.com sells them too, and you can get a dozen gray ones and other colors, sizes that are bigger and /or slightly lighter for a lot less money if you buy a dozen and do the grommets yourself, if you want grommets. Some are 10' long.

There are also thick vinyl sheets impregnated with minerals that also are supposed to work well.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Addict

producers choice blankets

Hey,
I bought a 6 pack of Producers Choice sound blankets about two weeks ago. They do smell of petroleum distillates. I tried using them and got severe nose and throat reactions, had to take them out and wash them. After two washings and $60 dollars later at the laundry mat, they were starting to fall apart and still smelled.

The worse part is that when I hung them again after washing, I got the same reaction: irritation in the nose and throat with a metallic taste on the tongue. I looked further into it and from what I can tell, it looks like an overdose of formaldehyde. I am not sure though. They need to do some testing so they can deal with customers honestly. I contacted them and they could not tell me what the blankets are treated with. It's not just a smell as they say, it is off gassing. Two very different things. If it is formaldehyde, it is a known class one carcinogen.

I would be happy to pay more money for a product that is safe to be invited into the home and one that the manufacturers and distributors can honestly stand behind the safety of the product.

Sorry for the rant, but I am still fuming over this purchase (no pun intended). Refund is out, cause shipping is too expensive. My hope is that someone knows of a good product that is verifiably safe.

Will
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

Best sound blankets are really Producers Choice

A good wash got rid of that smell. Also, I hung it over my balcony -- it worked too. Other brand sound blankets have that smell too. These are by far the best in quality.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Nut

Do audimute blankets have the same smell?
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear
Watched that video with the double layer blankets in the room; pretty impressive, but I wonder what it sounds like upstairs.
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

Thumbs up Just got another order of Producer's Choice sound blankets -- No smell this time

FYI -- I recently ordered another set of Producer's Choice Black sound blankets from vocalboothtogo, and this time they didn't smell at all. I think they changed the manufacturer cause they seemed much better than previously.

No more washing unless they get dirty from dust in my studio.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear interested

Cool producers choice sound blankets

I still have the sound blankets. Haven't used them heavily, did wash them one at a time in a front loading washer at home. I don't smell them now unless I put my nose into one. Occasionally I'll use one for a blanket to keep warm.

It's not a formaldehyde smell, at least not the kind my father used to put specimens in at the pathology lab. That was horrible when I went there for a tour as a kid. He's 87 now.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 4th March 2014
AjD
Gear Addict

I recently bought some of the Producer's Choice blankets - no smell.

Has anyone washed AND dryed these blankets? Wondering if they shrink, and also if they "puff" out more afterwards? Mine seem flatter than those cross-sectional photos on their Web site.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

I just got a 6 pack of the "Producer's Choice" and they had a terrible smell. Something like petroleum or maybe fromaldihyde. I have no idea but whatever it was, within minutes of unfolding them, i had a headache and felt dizzy. After about na hour of feeling terrible, i decided to do the obvious - get them out of my house. I have asked for a refund.

Maybe some people are more sensitive than others, and maybe some batches have the smell, while others do not.... I don't know. But for sure - these blankets had a strong smell of the dangerous sort.

I had emailed the company before buying them and told them my concerns, and I was told that they would be fine, and that "that problem had been fixed".

Not true in my case.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

There is really nothing special in blankets. Go to U-haul and get packing blankets. Honestly though you really should use ridged fiberglass or mineral wool panels.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
There is really nothing special in blankets. Go to U-haul and get packing blankets. Honestly though you really should use ridged fiberglass or mineral wool panels.

Glenn, I wasn't using these for acoustic-treatment. I am using blankets to heavily cover around a few pipes (which meet holes in the floor/ceiling) in my room, so that I can't hear my neighbors as well, and they can't here me as well. I have done it before here, and it worked great, along with a baffle in front of the radiator. I cant box-in the pipes here, and this is cheaper and easier for what I need.

Regarding MoverSupplies - if your considering buying blankets from them, I can tell you that the ones that I received had a dangerous smell. some have said that this is "normal" for moving blankets. That doesn't sound right to me.

I had written them before my order, and asked them specifically about this. Their response was -

"Thank you for your e-mail. yes the smell problem did exist and we dealt with it. Although some people are more sensitive than others"

I probably should have noticed that last line a little more... I can't imagine that anyone would not notice the petroleum-like smell on the ones i received.

They may be busy but I wrote them an email 24 hours ago regarding this, and no one has responded.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I probably should have noticed that last line a little more...

Quote:
They may be busy but I wrote them an email 24 hours ago regarding this, and no one has responded
I would just box them up and send back.
Old 26th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Oh, really?
This is a very lame advice!
The reason the Producer's choice blankets were created is because the moving blankets did not do a good job. We did acoustic testing of Moving blankets (of better quality than the cheap U-haul blankets) - they tested at NRC 0.3.
Producer's choice blankets tested at NRC 0.8 ( G-75 method).
You probably know, that products with NRC below 0,5 are not considered to be acoustic products. So advising people to use a less effective product is simply misleading. HBO and Century 21 use producer's choice blankets in their studios, and i suppose they do not use it because they are looking for savings, they use it because it works.

as for the mineral wool, Producer's choice acoustic blankets outperform Owens Corning Mineral wool blankets that are twice as thick!
How Producer's Choice Acoustic Blankets compare to Fiberglass sound absorbing blankets?
How Producer's Choice Acoustic Blankets Compare To Fiberglass Sound Absorbing Blankets?

it also outperforms the acoustic foam, not only by sound absorption efficiency, but also in sound quality:
Acoustic Foam Vs Producer's Choice Acoustic Blankets: Comparing Cost Efficiency

Although it is seemingly a simple product - Just a Blanket! and it does not sound cool, or technical, like "acoustic foam" or "Fiberglass" - it works very well and much healthier.

I will address the issues with the blankets in a separate post.
Old 26th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsing View Post
Hey,
I bought a 6 pack of Producers Choice sound blankets about two weeks ago. They do smell of petroleum distillates.
Will
I read this thread and there are mixed posts regarding the smell.
ALL of those posts are true.
First of all the personal sensitivity to the smell is different, some people are more sensitive than others, and some shipments were more smelly than others.
But we did recognize the problem.

I visited the factories that make the blankets and went through the whole production chain - there are no chemicals being added anywhere in the process.
The smell that people had described, and i would confirm that myself is "musty", "mildew", "chemical" and so on. We had changed suppliers, but the smell persisted. It was on and off even some blankets within the same container could be more smelly than others.... For a long time i was thinking that the blankets acquire smell during the long shipping in the ocean freight container.
And because sometimes it was more and sometimes less, i was thinking that it might be due to a water vapors in the container or may be something was there (in the container) before and the smell got trapped and transferred into blankets. We tried to stuff a lot of desiccants with the shipments to make sure it is dry.

Anyway, last year i went to the factory (twice) to figure out what could be the problem.
We went all the way in the mountains were the filler was made, all the way to the point where they receive the recycled clothes from the USA to be shredded into the fiber.

I hand picked the fabric, we shredded it and we made the blankets from that filler: there was no smell.

What i think was happening before, to make the production cheaper the factory was adding synthetic fibers into the cotton filler. And it was the synthetic fibers that had the smell.

These new 2014 blankets with the new purified filler, do not have any synthetic fibers added and no chemical smell. I think they actually smell nice and sweet!

The new Blankets will be sold through the Mobile Vocal Booth, Voice over and Sound booth solutions site and the old blankets will be sold through Moving supplies, Moving blankets, movers blanket, Piano board – MoversSupplies.com site until all old blankets are sold out.

Just for the purpose of full disclosure: the blankets are made in China. And the reason for that is NOT that we are trying to save money, but the only factory remaining in the USA that still makes the moving blankets (they are the same factory that makes Audimute blankets) could not accommodate our requirements of the thickness and the weight of the blankets. They also could not make any changes to the composition of the inside filler.

As the Producer's choice brand develops we understand that they are used in a confined space where people are in immediate contact with our sound blankets.
We treat all feedback very seriously. Because it is the request and constant feedback from one of these forums (DVX USER) that pushed us to create the producer's choice blankets in the first place!

Now once the smell issue is out of the way, we are looking into the length of the fibers and the internal design of the blanket to make sure the lint does not work its way out as a dust.
The challenge here is that the outer fabric for acoustic blankets has to be relatively rare ( not too dense), to reduce the reflection and allow the sound to get in and get absorbed, on the other hand change in the length of fibers changes the absorption signature of the blankets. This might not be a "big deal", but we think that all these incremental changes that make our Blankets a true acoustic products.
Right now the blankets have a linear absorption curve. This is why recording made using Producer's choice blankets is clear.
Compare to Acoustic foam, which grabs middle frequencies out, and being less efficient in low and high. This, we believe, results in a "boomy" sound (when mid range is absorbed more than higher frequency, the gap is what cause boominess see more here: Why Acoustic Foam Sounds Boxy Or Boomy: Comparing Portable Vocal Booths Articles

So even though "there is nothing special about the blankets" as one guru said, we put a lot of thought and effort into it.
Old 26th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is a very lame advice!
Even though your comment is extremely rude I will say I never even clicked on the link. I saw it as a moving company supply place not a acoustic company. Needless to say, great you have testing but I still would recommend, someone on a budget, frame up rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. It will work much lower then 500hz.

Quote:
Compare to Acoustic foam, which grabs middle frequencies out, and being less efficient in low and high. This, we believe, results in a "boomy" sound (when mid range is absorbed more than higher frequency, the gap is what cause boominess see more here: Why Acoustic Foam Sounds Boxy Or Boomy: Comparing Portable Vocal Booths Articles
Actually the reason why blankets, thin foam and thin rigid fiberglass do not work is it takes out the highs, some of the mids and lets the rest (as you say) boom (decay) in the room. What is always recommend is THICK absorption.

I will check you guys out when I decide to move. You do have some great prices on packing supplies.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even though your comment is extremely rude I will say I never even clicked on the link. I saw it as a moving company supply place not a acoustic company. Needless to say, great you have testing but I still would recommend, someone on a budget, frame up rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. It will work much lower then 500hz.

Actually the reason why blankets, thin foam and thin rigid fiberglass do not work is it takes out the highs, some of the mids and lets the rest (as you say) boom (decay) in the room. What is always recommend is THICK absorption.

I will check you guys out when I decide to move. You do have some great prices on packing supplies.
The only time me and someone like Glenn will use these blankets is when we are transporting sound panels to a client's location
Old 27th March 2014
AjD
Gear Addict

I just got to ask - speaking of blankets.

I have a thoughtfully treated walk-out basement studio (703 absorbers in reflection points, deep/tall corner traps, big 12" R38 cloud overhead, etc), but I did actually buy a couple of those Producer's Choice blankets!

Why? Kind of a strange reason. I needed to replace the thin (and dinghy) window curtains on the studio's big 8-1/2' wide glass door wall (which leads outside). This door wall lets in beautiful sunlight, but obviously reflects highs. It's not in a first reflection point, or in a corner - so it's location isn't too critical (plus I like the window!).

However... since my studio is a one-room facility (mix/record in the same space), I often need to put a musician right in front of this big window. And yes, I obviously put sizable gobos between the performer and the big window.

But even with gobos, I feel like I can still hear reflections off the window in nearby mics. After replacing the old thin curtains with these moving blankets (the size was a perfect fit, and they were thicker than any curtains I could find), the problem is greatly improved.

Anyway, it's an esoteric problem that I couldn't solve practically with a rigid solution. Plus I get to keep my window. (Sometimes I don't mind the reflection, like when recording drums - I pull the blankets aside, which I mounted on a curtain rod, and a room mic near this window gives a great reflective room sound).

And don't glass windows (leading out to open air) already trap some bass freqs? So in this case, it seems all I really needed was mid/hi absorption. Anyway, I'm wondering if I've stumbled upon a somewhat rare situation where using these blankets actually makes sense - as window curtains!

Aj

P.S. I will also say these blankets are somewhat thicker than the standard moving blankets I've seen at Harbor Freight, etc. And they were the only ones I could find anywhere that were white. Obviously no substitute for proper absorption like 4"+ 703, etc. But perhaps a decent solution when you just need to tame reflective highs (which is not common, I know). Hey I'm just glad mine didn't smell .
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Even though your comment is extremely rude. ld recommend, someone on a budget, frame up rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. It will work much lower then 500hz.

The only time me and someone like Glenn will use these blankets is when we are transporting sound panels to a client's location [HermanV]
Glenn, if i somehow sounded rude - i Apologize.
I did not mean to.
I thought i spoke the truth and provided factual arguments to support that blankets are a good sound absorber.

I did not criticize you personally or ridiculed your website, but i do believe that your advise was not correct, or should i say "misinformed"?.

I did not even imply that steering people from less expensive and more efficient acoustic blankets ( which you do not sell) to more expensive and less efficient mineral wool ( which you do sell) is somewhat self-serving.

And if you believe that the absorber should be thick - there is no reason not to double the blankets to make it thicker. I simply used the data, that i had.

By the way, In response to customer's questions i am going to test how doubling up the blankets affects the absorption curve. and i will have the graph done in sabines so people can easily compare the results with other products. You see, i believe in facts and numbers. Bravado like "me and someone like Glenn" does not sound as a fact to me.

and, HermanV, i would not recommend to use these blankets for moving - they are too heavy, thick and bulky for moving.

Also, it should be noted that i am not trying to sell you anything. You are in business of selling bass traps so i see no reason for you to buy blankets.

On your site you target listening rooms. You pride yourself on ability of your bass traps "to absorb as much bass as possible without over absorbing the high end, which leaves life inside the room. " (quotation from your website) Which is absolutely fine, this is why they are called "Bass Traps".

My customers need to create an acoustically dead environment. They need to take all the "liveliness" out of recording. We are after different goals and offer different products.

Recording artists buy our blankets, Voice-over actors, Audio recording studios.
And even when customer complaine about the smell, they all acknowledge the great sound quality.

I understand that you are above listening to a moving supplies company.
How about these testimonials from recording artists and Studios:

Producers Choice Sound Blanket – Product Review
or this :
Review of Sound blankets to use for Acoustic room treatment in a recording studio - YouTube

I hope you do not think that i am rude.
I would love to have a factual discussion without engaging in personal attacks or ridiculing the site without actually checking out what it says.
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjD View Post
- speaking of blankets.

After replacing the old thin curtains with these moving blankets (the size was a perfect fit, and they were thicker than any curtains I could find), the problem is greatly improved.

..... Obviously no substitute for proper absorption like 4"+ 703, etc.
Thank you AJD!

We do not look at the blankets as THE ONLY way to treat a room acoustically.
But we do see it a as great way to do it. It is a treatment and this is why we provided acoustic test results, so people can make intelligent decision how and if to use them.
Acoustic room treatment is in way a Voodoo "science", it needs to be tuned up to one's liking and one's specific requirements, which are not necessarily the same in every case.
Here are some suggestions how to use the Producer's choice acoustic blankets: Tips and Tricks for Using Producer’s Choice Acoustic Sound Blankets

and here we actually compared them to 4"+ 703
Acoustic Foam vs Producer's Choice Acoustic Blankets: Comparing Cost Efficiency

if hang in pleated fashion our sound Blankets actually perform somewhat better at low frequencies than 4" 703. It is the midrange where the Foam spikes up, which is as i mentioned in the earlier post result in boomy sounding recording.
See the graph

http://www.vocalboothtogo.com/images...comparison.jpg
Old 27th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjD View Post
I recently bought some of the Producer's Choice blankets - no smell.

Has anyone washed AND dryed these blankets? Wondering if they shrink, and also if they "puff" out more afterwards?
Hello AjD:

The blankets will shrink by about 1 -2 inches on each side.
I think this is mostly because they fluff up.

we are making a video that will demonstrate that.

Jeff.

Mobile Vocal Booth, Voice over and Sound booth solutions
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gotta say I'm with ya. I have used U Haul packing blankets several times and they've worked great (and were cheap)!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search