The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want to build a desk, MDF question.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Want to build a desk, MDF question.

The prices of desks are crazy I can get a decent piece of MDF delivered for quarter the price of a desk.

I plan on using MDF for the top and treating it and using legs from one of the Ikea systems. My question is how thick does this MDF need to be. It won't be a huge desk, 50x30 inches at the most.

Thanks, also there is no rush on this I have to redecorate first so if anyone has alternative suggestions it won't hurt.

Ps: I recently bought a desk with speaker stands and everything, cost me a £100 it was terrible I had to send it back.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Don't use mdf for your desktop - unless you heavily strap it, it will sag over time, no matter how thick. If you're happy with the IKEA legs, why not use one of their worktops? It'll be ready finished and designed for the purpose - plus the budget options aren't much more than a sheet of MDF
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Ikea don't deliver and I don't have any transport sadly.

I could put extra support in the middle.
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Get a tube up to Wembley!!
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Get a tube up to Wembley!!
Aye? more info needed lol.. You sould about as drunk as I feel :D
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

I just built this last weekend out of 3/4" MDF and 2x3's. Oh and black paint.

Old 3rd April 2010

MDF will need support. No offense intended, but you don't sound like much of a DIY'r...

If you need a cheap, stable, easy desk, think about an unfinished hollow-core door and a couple of saw horses.

-tINY

Old 3rd April 2010
SAC

...so, to reprise the role as curmudgeon...

Considering the placement of the speakers is so often placed on the 'bridge' of the work surface, one might argue that the use and construction of a work surface is an exercise in constructing one of the most prominent sources of destructive early reflections - even as so many will then spend money to worry about absorbers for the side walls and ceiling reflections.

A bit ironic, isn't it?

A somewhat counter-intuitive suggestion. If you are not prepared to mount the speakers back about 2 feet in back of the work surface on pedestals oriented such that they do not introduce additional diffractive or reflective surfaces themselves, and such that the work surface does not act as a source for early reflections, I would suggest as minimal a work surface as possible!
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
That's nice work. I'm thinking of doing the same for my M-1516, but I think I'm going to wait and see if I'll be getting the A&H ZED 428. I don't want to build it twice.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

MDF will need support. No offense intended, but you don't sound like much of a DIY'r...

If you need a cheap, stable, easy desk, think about an unfinished hollow-core door and a couple of saw horses.

-tINY

tINY is right, you should support MDF. I have had shelves bow over time and had to turn them upside down to get them to go the other way.
When I built my desk I supported each of the flat surfaces with 2x3's. Even with no weight I knew the MDF would most likely start to sag eventually.
If you can afford plywood it will stand up over time much better than MDF and it will hold a screw batter.
Here is a tip: when screwing into MDF just tighten the screw until it is snug. If you keep cranking you will easily strip out the hole.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Looks nice, what did you use for legs? Mine won't be that elaborate though, just a basic desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

-tINY

No offence taken, but it will be supported.. I don't intend to hang it out of mid air heh

I'm not actually bad at DIY, I know enough to screw a few legs into MDF, what I don't know is how thick it would need to be, I'll be going with at least 18mm if I can get the MDF.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

I used 2x3's for legs. I built the top so it was stable by itself then made a frame out of lumber and set the top on that. I used "L" brackets to secure the top to the base. I originally planned to use the metal legs from my old table but they were too tall. I would post the plans but I never made any.heh
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleWordz View Post
Aye? more info needed lol.. You sould about as drunk as I feel :D
OK more info.

You live in London.

Get a tube from wherever you live to Baker Street.

Get a Met Line (not jubilee it takes ages) to Wembley Park.

Walk from Wembley Park to Ikea. (See google maps - search Wembley stadium there's only 1 and it's right next to it!)

Buy Desk.

Get taxi Ikea-Wembley park. (few quid tops). Or take a mate to help you carry it. Paying their tube fare will probably cost more than the taxi though.

Get tube back home.

Get taxi your station - to your house if needed.

Done.
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Nut

So finally I redecorated, I never got round to building the desk as I found one of these on gumtree IKEA | Working & surfing | Computer solutions | FREDRIK | Desk

The guy delivered it to be for a couple extra quid.

I iz well happy init!
Old 24th April 2011
Here for the gear

Here is my DIY studio desk. I used an old counter top from my kitchen and placed it on top of an IKEA (Galant system) height adjustable table top t-legs and frame. The frame supports the counter top beautifully! If you like this idea you can buy a pre made counter top from home depot or lowes in lengths of (4ft,6ft,8ft or 10ft). They should all be around 25" in width. I dont think my countertop came from any of these stores because my specs are 92" x 25". In the future I will probably be building a new desk out of plywood or mdf because I want to flush fit my APC 40's in the countertop, but it is not thick enough to do so. I could just add another sheet of mdf to it to make it thicker, but I want to have a wider top as in more than 25". For now this was an amazing free upgrade for me because the Ikea stainless steel table top I originally bought with the frame was not long enough to fit all my gear. I highly recommend this way if you are on a budget. You get a lot of desk if you go this way

Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

whats up ?....

Hey if you can give me a design off a desk you like,
then i can draw a plan for you to build the desk.

Imma woodscraftman (still in high school) but we use often MDF
so i know how to work with it.
Old 25th June 2011
Here for the gear

Yo

How much do you charge to do that?
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Addict
What are you using for those floating shelves for the corner speakers? Do you have pictures of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbletonAddict View Post
Here is my DIY studio desk. I used an old counter top from my kitchen and placed it on top of an IKEA (Galant system) height adjustable table top t-legs and frame. The frame supports the counter top beautifully! If you like this idea you can buy a pre made counter top from home depot or lowes in lengths of (4ft,6ft,8ft or 10ft). They should all be around 25" in width. I dont think my countertop came from any of these stores because my specs are 92" x 25". In the future I will probably be building a new desk out of plywood or mdf because I want to flush fit my APC 40's in the countertop, but it is not thick enough to do so. I could just add another sheet of mdf to it to make it thicker, but I want to have a wider top as in more than 25". For now this was an amazing free upgrade for me because the Ikea stainless steel table top I originally bought with the frame was not long enough to fit all my gear. I highly recommend this way if you are on a budget. You get a lot of desk if you go this way

Old 26th October 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

How is the armrest secured on this? I have the same control surface, and I absolutely LOVE this idea of incorporating the armrest and the surface into one!
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

This is an mdf desk with IKEA legs and oak side panels.

It's well supported with bracing.

It's my second diy desk and I learned a lot along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to build a desk, MDF question.-image_2082.jpg  
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

Here she is loaded up.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to build a desk, MDF question.-image_6933.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search