The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Garage Conversion / Studio Layout Suggestions Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Head

Garage Conversion / Studio Layout Suggestions

I'm moving in a few months and hope to begin converting a garage into a studio.

The Opening in the original Garage is 17' x 19' The original walls and doors are in black on the drawing.

I would like to have only one room with a small isolation booth. I tried to keep the room symmetrical by balancing out the isolation booth with a storage closet which would be needed as well.

I do my own drums, engineering and recording so having the recorder nearby makes it easier for me.

I have CD's that would be lining the walls of two walls and a sofa on the wall opposite the drums.

I wasn't sure if I should angle the walls on the iso and storage rooms.

Also, I'm not sure if I can go higher on the ceiling yet. It's currently 90" tall and sheetrocked. I was going to see if I could rip the sheetrock out and go to the roof and then insulate.

This is my first sketch.

Any suggestions on the layout?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Conversion / Studio Layout Suggestions-dougstudio.jpg  
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeshelter67 View Post
Also, I'm not sure if I can go higher on the ceiling yet. It's currently 90" tall and sheetrocked. I was going to see if I could rip the sheetrock out and go to the roof and then insulate.
Is your garage attached to your house ? If so there must be a layer of sheetrock
(as a fire break) between your garage and any part of the house, including the attic.

Paul P
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Head

Paul, the Garage and a small apartment were attached to the house by 12' of common wall. The garage portion only touches the main part of the house by 4'. The entire Garage is lined with Sheetrock. Walls, Ceiling.

The garage will share a common wall with the apartment which is just used as a bedroom for my daughter until she leaves the nest then it will become more studio space.

I've been looking into the walls and space between the walls, sheetrock, bass traps, etc.. the Fire Issue did not even cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

D
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Head

Any opinions on the iso booth and closet placement/size?
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Maniac

a thought...

Would it not be better to track from a separate room?
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Head

"Would it not be better to track from a separate room?"

Not sure if it would be better or not. It works for me to have the recorder and drums in the same room but also have an iso booth for a guitar player/vocalist.

d
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I think an advantage of being in a separate room would be (if it's soundproofed) that you can hear what you are recording and not the actual live performance. However, this would be achieved with playback too of course. Just a time saver I guess, especially when recording something like a drum kit where many mics have to be sound checked. It would be much easier to sound check live than to go back and listen to play back and go back and forth until it is right.

The same is important for guitars and vocals, but I think it might be easier to have to sound check that with play back since there usually are not as many mics set up.

But I guess you have to wonder if you rather have a separate mixing room or a larger, probably better sounding, mixing room that is also a tracking room. I have found that I can learn to mix in any room just about, but some are easier than others.
Old 9th April 2010
Gear Head

Most of what I do is record my own drums so it's easier to have the recorder right near the drums. I'll record and then listen through playback. Most of the time the drums are set up and mic'd and minimal tweaking is needed.

the iso booth is for when someone comes over and we're laying down drums and maybe a guitar track and guide vocal at the same time.

I've also seen Ethan and several other GS members mention in other posts that one room is better than two rooms.
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Head

I'd make the iso 5'x7' and put it on the center of the wall on the left in the picture (behind you when you're sitting in mix position. Then I'd remove the storage space.

Putting your mix position in a cubby like that is asking for trouble, but having an interrupted back wall can help diffuse low frequencies.

The bigger iso booth will have room for thicker traps and the placement will make it easier to see the drummer.

Then it's just bass traps in corners, absorbers in reflection points and thick absorption on the back wall per GIK or RealTraps instruction.
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Doug,

How about making both the booth and the storage room into 'corner' booths. The storage can also be used as a booth from time to time. -- Sometimes you may want to track bass or guitar with an amp at the same time as you will be playing drums.. with a vocal in the other booth to keep you guys together. heh

Place your mix position opposite where you have it drawn - centered between the side walls and put your kit set-up between the booths. Also by slanting the walls of the booths, you eliminate flutter in that area without killing the room sound. Be sure to trap well. -- Between the booths you could put alternating absorption panels and diffusors.

Yes, especially for drums you'll want to raise the ceiling if you can. Do check code on this. -- Then it gets complicated from there on..

Cheers,
John
Old 21st April 2010
Gear Head

John, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I originally wanted the recorder and monitors away from the two doors thinking this would effect my monitoring.

I'll tweak out the drawing a little more and post it.

I haven't been able to fully look into raising the roof yet.

Doug
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

How does this Layout work?

Not sure where I'd be able to put the bass traps since there's doors in each corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Conversion / Studio Layout Suggestions-studiorev.jpg  
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Doug,

That's exactly what I'm talking about! heh

For trapping, you have a LOT of corners... don't forget all those horizontal corners where the walls meet the ceiling.

Set up your mix area with absorption panels at the early reflection points & don't forget about the ceiling. Hang a 'cloud' there & drop it about 6 inches from the ceiling. Start with yourself at 38% of the length of the room from the wall in front of you. That should get you a good start.

Cheers,
John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search