The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Floor plan suggestions. Mixers (Digital)
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Floor plan suggestions.

Hello All,

Was just wanting to get some suggestions as far as floor plan goes. I have a 20 x 18 garage and a 18 x 18 attached room that I'd like to build out into a studio space. Below are some 3D models my friend made.

Originally I thought I'd have to leave the shower where it is (since there was already an aluminum shower in the garage) but after talking to the owner of the house, she mentioned that she never thought the shower was connected. So any ideas would be appreciated.

My main issue is that I score to picture as well as record. While I'd like to have a nice view of the recording studio through a window, I also need to have a large LCD TV in front of my Desk. Currently, I have a similar setup as in the pictures: LCD TV in front of me and viewing window off to one side. If anyone has any idea how to have BOTH in front, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

I would rotate the control room 180° and put the console dead center.
I would take off one booth (or both) and make a larger live room.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

I would also make one larger live room. The main problem I see is the mixing room is not symmetrical. You must be centered left and right in the room. If you use the bottom drawing, reverse it so the speakers are at the bottom pointing up with the door in the rear. More here:

How to set up a room

--Ethan
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Thank you for the input. Should I just forget about the two iso booths attached to the live room and maybe just record Whatever I would have in there (VO or single instrument) in the control room? Or maybe build a very small iso booth (for VO) inside the control room? If so, would the viewing window stil be visible from the console?
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Unless you record rock bands for pay, with loud drummers, I'm a big fan of using one room.

--Ethan
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshy View Post
Thank you for the input. Should I just forget about the two iso booths attached to the live room and maybe just record Whatever I would have in there (VO or single instrument) in the control room? Or maybe build a very small iso booth (for VO) inside the control room? If so, would the viewing window stil be visible from the console?
I'd ditch the iso booths in the live room. If you really need one you could do it in the CR. I'm not sure how you could do that so that the viewing window is visible though.

Frank
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

What walls are existing/have to stay and what walls can be changed? I have some ideas but I suspect it involves blowing out a load bearing garage wall. If I know what's what, I can cater my thoughts towards the most cost effective ideas.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Here is a pic of the existing walls (outlined in red). I was going to move the door over a bit to accommodate the viewing window.

Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a pic of the existing walls (outlined in red). I was going to move the door over a bit to accommodate the viewing window.
Please post exact internal dimensions.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Like everyone else has said, move the mix position across so that it's central in the room.

Furthermore, I'd put the desk at the end with a solid wall rather than the end with the door.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
I'd ditch the iso booths in the live room.
agreed

and loose the hall way
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
agreed

and loose the hall way
Word. Hallways are wasted space.

Frank
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

So it would be a live room with a bathroom and a kitchenette?

I'll post new pics with dimensions soon.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So it would be a live room with a bathroom and a kitchenette?

I'll post new pics with dimensions soon.
Haha...yep, pretty much. Finish tracking, go make a sandwich. Where's the down side? heh

Frank
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Well,

in terms of the bathroom, I thought I had heard earlier that the shower stall was never installed, so if you want to get fancy, you could have dual access to the can, from both live and control.

but yeah, the kitchenette would have to live in the live room. having the fridge on a switch wouldn't be a bad idea, to prevent the condenser from kicking on during tracking
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Ghetto! Could I put the kitchenette in the control room instead?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ghetto! Could I put the kitchenette in the control room instead?
"Ghetto"? You must mean, FABULOUS!

Frank
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

OK, here are the new pics with the suggestions. Unfortunately, now the viewing window is nowhere near the desk as the bathroom stayed where it was. I have to call a plumber and see 1) if the the existing plumbing even works and 2) how much it would cost to move --in order to see if it's within my budget. Any other thoughts?

Old 5th April 2010
Gear Head

Mock up #2 looks way better and less complicated/expensive!
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember_This View Post
Mock up #2 looks way better and less complicated/expensive!
+1.

Frank
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm going to see if I can get a plumber over there today to find out if the bathroom/recording studio can be swapped. That way, the viewing window will be aligned with the desk at least. Thanks for the input.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search