The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building home studio advice needed
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm guessing it's starting to sound a bit more dead in there huh?

It's hard to tell from the photos, does the ceiling continue on the pitch at the back, or does it level off?
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Also, some additional vertical boards are going to be needed in the rear corners. At the edges of the diagonal corner... this is needed to attach slats to the "bass trap". If this doesn't make sense, I will draw it out. We're talking a total of two boards per corner.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear
my current setup is like

on left hand side of desk there are equipments sitting on each other.

ROSETTA 200----MOTU 828MK2-----FOCUSRITE COMPOUNDER-----SMPRO MPATCH VOLUME CONTROLLER.

in front of me

ROLAND XP 10 USED ONLY AS MIDI CONTROLLER.(always in use)

monitors currently in use

yamaha hs 50m

EDITED
CURRENTLY I AM USING ONLY 1 COMPUTER LCD SCREEN. BUT I AM THINKING FOR 2 SCREENS.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm guessing it's starting to sound a bit more dead in there huh?
yes, there is a very little decay may be ceiling is not insulated yet. i think after that the room will sound dead.

Quote:
It's hard to tell from the photos, does the ceiling continue on the pitch at the back, or does it level off?
yes the ceiling is leveled off. the studs on the bass trap 1st corner and the 2nd corner are at same level.

Quote:
Also, some additional vertical boards are going to be needed in the rear corners. At the edges of the diagonal corner... this is needed to attach slats to the "bass trap". If this doesn't make sense, I will draw it out
yes it is clear to me. but anyhow when you will be finished with the sketch up file, that will totally clear me with all the points.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Amit,

here is a picture with the added framing necessary to support the slats. New wood is shown blue, also added the corner studs I mentioned before.

I will send you the sketch file of this via email, but again I MUST stress that actual framing may dictate that some of these measurements are different in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
building home studio advice needed-amit-added-studs.jpg  
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will send you the sketch file of this via email
THANKS
you are very fast in drawing

Quote:
but again I MUST stress that actual framing may dictate that some of these measurements are different in real life.
i will be careful

RECEIVED THE FILE
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
THANKS
you are very fast in drawing
lots of practice
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear
the gap between the slats is 1/2 inch. will this gap remains same throughout the slat installation
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the gap between the slats is 1/2 inch. will this gap remains same throughout the slat installation
Not necessarily.

Because the ceiling is sloped, it's distance to the boundary ceiling is inconsistent. Thus traditional tuning is problematic. 1/2" gap is sufficient to allow bass frequencies to pass, though there may be some amount of tuning, it's range from the front of the room to the back is very broad. Front and back wall it may be deemed to have a more mathematically determined gap. More of this determined after acoustic measurements taken with insulation in place.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

messin around

playing with some side wall ideas, i consider this first one a failure, just thought i'd share. more to come
Attached Thumbnails
building home studio advice needed-amit-side-wall-one.jpg  
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear
WOH......

this will be my working space? what a lovely design.

Quote:
i consider this first one a failure
not according to me. i am trying to imagine something more aesthetically than this but can't. technically you knows. very exicted for something better than this,.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

Glad you like it.

I will draw up a few other designs and you can decide which you like best. Even the ceiling design at this point, shouldn't be viewed as done. Your listening position will dictate how far forward we can come with the slats, and your measurements will tell us if we should be spacing more or less.

These first few drawings are really to just get a feel for looks.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will draw up a few other designs and you can decide which you like best
hi john,

sincerely i don't want to choose from different designs. please give me the design you liked the best. only that design will be liked by me.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hi john,

sincerely i don't want to choose from different designs. please give me the design you liked the best. only that design will be liked by me.
what?!?!

we (should I say I) have some time until insulation measurements are done. I will continue to draw some versions until the real version. I REALLY want your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
building home studio advice needed-amit-side-wall-2.jpg  
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

Also, your carpenters may want to have some input, as some of these designs will require much more precision.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

Do you have a logo for the studio?
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will continue to draw some versions until the real version. I REALLY want your opinion.
Quote:
Also, your carpenters may want to have some input, as some of these designs will require much more precision.
ok . but please do tell me your most liked design.

Quote:
Do you have a logo for the studio?
NO
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear
john, i just want to share

half of the ceiling is filled with insulation and half is left. all other spaces are filled. when i clapped in the area where ceiling insulation is not filled i heard a very very clear comb filtering or a clap's resonance(like spring vibrating) and in the area where ceiling insulation has been done a very flat dead sound.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
john, i just want to share

half of the ceiling is filled with insulation and half is left. all other spaces are filled. when i clapped in the area where ceiling insulation is not filled i heard a very very clear comb filtering or a clap's resonance(like spring vibrating) and in the area where ceiling insulation has been done a very flat dead sound.
fun ain't it? what you are hearing is flutter echo. sound bouncing back and forth many times between two parallel surfaces. It is the angling of the walls and ceiling that prevent this phenomenon from happening again once slats are installed.
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

insulation and some cloth covering will be completed by tomorrow. after the cloth covering i will take measurement for the listening position. please tell me frequency range for the measurements. only upto midrange or full range measurements.

can you please send me skp file of any one of the designs you are working on. i just want to calculate the quantity of slats(approx.). previously also when the work was started i had calculated the quantity of wood from your sketch and it came out 99% accurate. you have side walls and ceiling design. can you please also do a rough drawing for the rear wall slats.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit,

Sorry I haven't be able to correspond the last few days, been very busy over here. I will have some time tommorow to work on the file.

Regarding measurements, 500 and below will be fine. With nearly 0% surface reflectivity, measuring the top end is pointless.

Upon measuring, if you can immediately see some frequencies with longer reverberation and peaks, use a signal generator set to that frequency, and use the spl meter to locate where that frequency is strongest along the boundaries.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry I haven't...........
please don't

i will take measurements according to your guidance given in post 239. is it ok ?
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

yes.

please also leave a tape mark on the floor, with the small weight on a string suspended from the mic stand above it, so the measurements are repeatable.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
yes.

please also leave a tape mark on the floor, with the small weight on a string suspended from the mic stand above it, so the measurements are repeatable.
FINE.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

PROGRESS REPORT

cloth covering is still on the way. 4-5 hours work left.

the room now seems totally dead without decay.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Very good.

I am sending you the sketch file with a ROUGH estimate of slat coverage.

Here is a shot for all to see

building home studio advice needed-amit-doneish.jpg

I am liking my initial design more now that the front wall is rendered, though I still want to play a bit.

Slat spacing:

Everything is rendered at 1/4" on walls. This may change. For example, under the desk when it is installed, we may find that this creates a resonant cavity, and want to space the slats under the desk to target that.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

I would love to see some photos if you can
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear
ya sure. i will take pictures right now. just 15 minutes work
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear
thanks john

received the file. very nice design.

Quote:
Everything is rendered at 1/4" on walls
the diagonal slats on the walls are showing 1/2" gap.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear
this is the first layer cotton cloth covering which will not be visible. the second layer visible cloth will be of maroon color.

building home studio advice needed-room-view.jpg

building home studio advice needed-room-view-1.jpg

i think the pictures are not taken correctly but just an idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search