The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building home studio advice needed
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit

Given circumstances, the original idea of a work surface integrated to the pedestal is not ideal. To begin with, insulation measurements have dictated that we have a seating position that is further back than originally planned for. Also, it is a good idea to minimize the amount of desk top, in order to minimize the amount of surface reflections. At out current position, a work surface that utilized the pedestal would be unreasonably large. I would suggest getting a pre-fabricated computer desk. One that will allow you the area to support your piano, a roll out keyboard tray for your qwerty, and not much else.

Having learned a bit about differences between here and India, (you can't just buy pre-sized lumber)... I hesitate making suggestions as to where you could go about getting such a thing.

Also, a free standing desk will allow us to reposition the mixing zone, as with the installation of slats, there's a very good chance that speaker boundary interference will dictate that we move forward or back a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
building home studio advice needed-amit-desk.jpg  
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Amit

Given circumstances, the original idea of a work surface integrated to the pedestal is not ideal. To begin with, insulation measurements have dictated that we have a seating position that is further back than originally planned for. Also, it is a good idea to minimize the amount of desk top, in order to minimize the amount of surface reflections. At out current position, a work surface that utilized the pedestal would be unreasonably large. I would suggest getting a pre-fabricated computer desk. One that will allow you the area to support your piano, a roll out keyboard tray for your qwerty, and not much else.

Having learned a bit about differences between here and India, (you can't just buy pre-sized lumber)... I hesitate making suggestions as to where you could go about getting such a thing.

Also, a free standing desk will allow us to reposition the mixing zone, as with the installation of slats, there's a very good chance that speaker boundary interference will dictate that we move forward or back a bit.
john once again i am saying you are very fast (compliment)

in this case also i get an basic idea for the desk. i will try my best not to let you and your plan down. i will keep into consideration the above points.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

you're not so slow yourself!

I was thinking, now that the pedestal will be so visible in the room, perhaps the carpenters could attach what we would call "strapping" (basically wood strips mounted to the concrete), if you have any left over insulation and fabric, you could build a very thin slat wall encasing the pedestal. This would be mostly for cosmetics, though there are more economical ways to make that hunk of concrete look better. Paint comes to mind.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
if you have any left over insulation and fabric, you could build a very thin slat wall encasing the pedestal
yes this will look good.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit.

Just wanted to share this

How I Built My Corner Bass Traps

Take a look at the color contrast used by BF on his slat traps.
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

the slats looks great. thanks for sharing.

the work will be started by tomorrow(hope so). i have purchased all the wood. now i am pushing up the carpenters to do the work speedily as my clients wants me to get shifted to my place immediately. i will keep you update with the pics.

THANKS
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

the work has been started today(at last).

PROGRESS REPORT

wood is fine tuned to particular sizes. (2" 3" 4" respectively)

wood is being polished before installation.

red cloth is fully in its place.

I will post the pics tomorrow with at least some good progress.

THANKS JOHN
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

fantastic, can't wait to see it
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

PROGRESS REPORT

building home studio advice needed-left-wall.jpg

building home studio advice needed-full-view.jpg

building home studio advice needed-wall-close-view.jpg

building home studio advice needed-right-wall.jpg

Looking very nice john. thanks
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Yes it does.

Very excited for you.
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

some progress

building home studio advice needed-full-room-view.jpg
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

room with wooden flooring

building home studio advice needed-wooden-flooring.jpg
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

It's really coming together!

More importantly, how does it sound?
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
More importantly, how does it sound?
with proper set up and speakers i will be able to do the listening only after the completion of work.

otherwise if we analyze the room with clapping or speaking the room is combination of both, liveliness and deadness.

THANKS
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

first of all i am really sorry for not posting updated pics. the room at this time is looking very disordered. painters, carpenters and electricians are all working at the same time. you are the maker of this room. i only wants to show you a clean and neat room.

progress report. (after wooden flooring)

1. ceiling is done with track light.

2. desk is under construction. (may be completed by tomorrow)

3. electrical fittings are going on.

4. painters have started polish work.

i think the whole work will be completed with in 3-4 days.
i will post the pics as soon as the room is in some order.

THANKS TO YOU
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

No apologies friend.

Looking forward to experiencing the finished product. Any questions pop up along the rest of the way, I'd be happy to help as best I can.

John
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

the desk is now made and the work is almost completed. two things could not go with the plan. one is the front wall. it is without slats. (budget issue). i will get it done later. second is the back wall corner traps design. carpenters could not make the support for vertical slats as we were worried. they made their own design.

For a last few days i had to work day and night. some time construction site and some time working place and so on. and now i have to shift to the studio in urgency. studio is getting cleaned and i have started shifting the equipments. i will post pics with all the equipments on desk.

congrats and thanks john for the design you made. all my clients who came to this place liked it very very much. elegant, wow, unique are some of the comments given by my clients.

JOHN BEFORE POWERING MY WHOLE SET FOR THE FIRST TIME AT THE NEW PLACE I NEED YOUR BLESSINGS

THANKS
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Amit,

It's been a pleasure. Though we've never met, I consider you a friend. Here's to you!

I hope the room meets all of your expectations.

Please keep me posted. It's with sincere eagerness that I check this site everyday hoping to hear that you are satisfied.

Take care friend, and enjoy the room.

John
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

Quote:
Though we've never met, I consider you a friend. Here's to you!
same here

here are the pics
building home studio advice needed-full-view.jpg

building home studio advice needed-full-view-1.jpg

building home studio advice needed-rear-wall.jpg

building home studio advice needed-ceiling.jpg

CONGRATS JOHN
The room is getting a lot of appreciation. when i was working in my previous setup the sound changes with a very little move. different sound at different places. its really appreciable that where ever we move in the room the sound and specially the bass remains same. ! its really surprising for me ! the corners also does not increase the bass frequencies. aesthetically the room is like dream comes true. technical people are surprised with the room's response. i am really enjoying the room.

you have given me a gift for my life. my whole family is thanking you.

THANKS JOHN AND PLEASE KEEP HELPING

i will keep posting with definitely some more good comments.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit.

Looks great!

Please do keep me posted. If you have some time in between making money heh, I'd love to see some room measurements.

One comment. Your speaker placement would suggest that you are probably getting a fair amount of early reflections from the desk surface. If you could find a means by which to raise them and angle them down, you could likely eliminate those reflections.

Great job on the execution, it really looks great.

John
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
One comment. Your speaker placement would suggest that you are probably getting a fair amount of early reflections from the desk surface. If you could find a means by which to raise them and angle them down, you could likely eliminate those reflections.
i will definitely try but (after making some money)heh
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear
hi john,

how are u and your family?

now i am feeling settled in the new environment. i want to share the experiences with you. the first views who comes in the studio are

who has designed the studio,
looking like a big theatre.
very nice and beautiful design.
very very peaceful.
very technical

john we started working in this studio with yamaha hs 50 monitors. thats why i did not take any measurements. due to this reason only i avoided and delayed the mixings. now i have purchased adams a7 suited for this professional environment. now i am comparing my previous done mixings with the new one.
THERE IS A DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE. REALLY.
i am trying to redo the mixings which are not yet released. the main differences are

1. vocals were 5-6db up in volume.
2. bass volume was either very up or very low.
3. excessive use of reverb and other processing.
4. every thing was backwards(may be overcompresson)
5. mixings were harsh and distorted.

now i have started hearing the small details of mixings. arrangement is also improved with good monitoring.

john i have realized the importance of monitoring. i wanted to share this with the forum also that

in thinking for a quality upgrade, good monitoring should be in the first place strictly.

THANKS JOHN.(i remember you daily.)
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Glad things are well Amit. Keep me posted.
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit!

Any developments? I sure would like to see some measurements of the completed project... if you have time that is.

I hope all is well on your end.

John
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
I sure would like to see some measurements of the completed project.
+1

/Jens
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
Hi Amit!

Any developments? I sure would like to see some measurements of the completed project... if you have time that is.

I hope all is well on your end.

John

hi john,

a great thanks for this post. john how are u and ur family. please say hello to your family from my side. i have very frequent talks with my wife and family regarding you. my mother always gives blessings to you. you are part of my family.(sorry for getting personal in this technical forum). i really miss the construction time.

as regarding work, professional work is good but my technical experience is started from scratch after the control room. it seems that i have recently started my work or i can say learning. my mixing style is getting changed. i am learning a lot in proper acoustics especially my mistakes. mixes translates very well in other systems but there is lot more for me to learn. i will post measurements very soon.

THANKS JOHN
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you Amit for the reply and especially the very kind words.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
hi john,

as regarding work, professional work is good but my technical experience is started from scratch after the control room. it seems that i have recently started my work or i can say learning. my mixing style is getting changed. i am learning a lot in proper acoustics especially my mistakes. mixes translates very well in other systems but there is lot more for me to learn. i will post measurements very soon.

THANKS JOHN
Amit, you have come a long way with John's help ( what a champ )!!

With your new mixing environment ( excitement) there will be some time to acclimate (get accustomed to). But once you learn the new room, you wil excel !!

Just wanted to extend my congrats on John's design, an Amit's execution from across the globe !! This is what forums are and should be about !!

T
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
hi john i have emailed you
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Great to hear from you again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search