The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building home studio advice needed
Old 5th June 2010
Lives for gear
what will be better for floor?

wooden flooring or carpet
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

wood floor with area rugs would be my choice.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit.

There's some beneficial discussion on the Sayers' thread regarding the electrical interference. If you get a moment, can you get over there and answer a question or two for Stuart?

Thanks
Old 6th June 2010
Gear Maniac

I posted this on your Sayer's thread to.

India runs at 50hz like Europe. I'm in the middle of a class and we are learning about "dirty electricity." I live in Idaho and we have notoriously "dirty power." To make it simple if you looked at the sine wave of the two power legs they are out of phase in the case of 220-240. You need a line conditioner to correct this if it is coming in that way. There is a certain amount of distortion that is "to spec" per the power company so they won't do anything about it so that's why we are installing a HUGE conditioner where I work. First we had to determine if the distortion was coming from the power coming in or was one piece of our equipment causing the problem. Some power companies will come in and determine that for you and then help you find the source if it is your problem. The equipment is pretty spendy to DIY although some places you can rent it. Anyhoo.....I doubt it's a grounding issue since it's at 50hz so conditioning the power coming into your building may be the only way to go.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

you are genius. you really encouraged me to look after electricity issue and do some experiment. i wanted to bypass electricity to see the measurements. i have an apc ups. so i did one measurement with the system on electricity and one measurement with the system only on ups. ( only battery powered not on mains). here are the results.

WATERFALL MEASUREMENT ONLY ON ELECTRICITY

building home studio advice needed-only-electricity.jpg

WATERFALL MEASUREMENT ONLY ON UPS BATTERY(BYPASS MAINS)

building home studio advice needed-only-ups.jpg
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

That looks better.

Now... to get it to look that good on mains.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That looks better.

Now... to get it to look that good on mains.
yes definitely john. i will try my best to rectify this problem.

but this is amazing that a particular frequency is getting into the measurements without being audible. what can be the results of this. can this issue effect the 50 hz area of our mixing or final output file.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

no idea... sorry. there are people better equipped than I to answer questions like this.

The good news is, I think we can proceed with the "slats as hf treatment only" plan. I will get a final file to you as soon as possible.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

It may be in the power supply for the spl mic. I'd imagine that thing has a transformer on the power line. Perhaps try running a waterfall with everything but the spl on mains. Perhaps it's interference with the generators that are near by?
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
It may be in the power supply for the spl mic. I'd imagine that thing has a transformer on the power line. Perhaps try running a waterfall with everything but the spl on mains. Perhaps it's interference with the generators that are near by?
spl is only battery powered. it uses 9v battery.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

rats!
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
The good news is, I think we can proceed with the "slats as hf treatment only" plan. I will get a final file to you as soon as possible.
anyways thats really a good news.
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

what do you think of this?
Attached Thumbnails
building home studio advice needed-amit-final-side-wall.jpg  
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
what do you think of this?
simple and elegant. very nice
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
yes definitely john. i will try my best to rectify this problem.

but this is amazing that a particular frequency is getting into the measurements without being audible. what can be the results of this. can this issue effect the 50 hz area of our mixing or final output file.
I had my info all confused. I looked through my notebooks when I got home and if it was dirty power you would see the noise at a different frequency other than 50 Hz. Check grounding or a ground loop between pieces of equipment. Since the hum isn't audible could it be possible you have a bad mic cable picking up electrical interference?
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slymo View Post
I had my info all confused. I looked through my notebooks when I got home and if it was dirty power you would see the noise at a different frequency other than 50 Hz. Check grounding or a ground loop between pieces of equipment. Since the hum isn't audible could it be possible you have a bad mic cable picking up electrical interference?
it is clear that the problem is only with mains. all measurement setup being the same i had only switched off the mains in the second measurement with ups on battery mode only. mic cable can be the reason but i think it should also pick the electrical interference when system on battery mode. in any ways or case the power needs to be conditioned and properly grounded as the system has to be on electricity.

it seems that if working in this problem live recording is done or audio is recorded back into the computer, the audio will be affected . the samples already in the computer will not. and also the peaks for the affected audio will not be visible in frequency graphs or rta but in waterfalls only. ( all guesswork, no survey)
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit.

I'm worried I haven't allowed enough fabric coverage. For every 11", there's currently 2" of fabric. I'm going to adjust for more absorption.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Amit.

I'm worried I haven't allowed enough fabric coverage. For every 11", there's currently 2" of fabric. I'm going to adjust for more absorption.
hi john

there are 2 layers of fabric covering every area. full control room is covered with fabric.

so you can decide slats placement anywhere. fabric is there
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Cool. I was just concerned that I had not left enough space between slats, I don't want to effect the low end too much.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear
all is well. thank god.
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit.

Sorry. I have been away from computers for a couple of days. I'm hoping to have something for you today.
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Amit.

Sorry. I have been away from computers for a couple of days. I'm hoping to have something for you today.
very excited
thanks
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Amit

I have emailed the file to you. Here are a few shots:

building home studio advice needed-amit-final-side-wall-.jpg

The slat to fabric ratio is just over 20% absorption. please note that in the file, I have not properly mitered the corners of the slats. The way I draw makes this a way too tedious process. Where walls meet, there is some weirdness in the way slats touch... in attempting to remedy this, it was taking far too long.

building home studio advice needed-amit-final-.jpg

here is an image of all the walls together (without trim), so you can get a better and easier count of the wood involved. the slats have a pattern to them, every 16" or so of height.

It is my opinion that our original ceiling design is still good, but we can change it to reflect the "random" slat and slot order if you wish.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

thanks for the file. studio is looking very nice. its time to call carpenters.

since yesterday i had no access to internet. so i was only able to do a very little on my mobile internet. sorry for not replying soon.

now i will study the file and get back to you if i have some queries.

one thing that immediately come to my mind:

do we have to copy the pattern exactly or we have to just keep the slat to slot ratio right. means the different widths of slats should be in the same sequence from top to bottom. also the widths dimension of slats like 2", 3" and 4" should be exactly same. this pattern is random or in particular sequence.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
do we have to copy the pattern exactly or we have to just keep the slat to slot ratio right. means the different widths of slats should be in the same sequence from top to bottom. also the widths dimension of slats like 2", 3" and 4" should be exactly same. this pattern is random or in particular sequence.
Hi Amit, no worries on not replying sooner.

Regarding the pattern, it can be varied more, if you want a less obvious pattern. This is something I too was considering. You do want to keep roughly 20% of fabric open, as well as a mixture of the slat widths. The only thing is left and right walls should be a mirror image of one another. This is something you could do on your own, as you install, or if you'd like, I can draw a new more random version.

What are your thoughts regarding the original ceiling, would you like a more random slat width applied there as well?
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is something you could do on your own, as you install, or if you'd like, I can draw a new more random version.
i think there is no need to redraw as i get the basic idea. the main consideration points are:

both side walls should be mirrored.
20% of fabric open
mixture of the slat widths
( can 4" be 3.8 or 2" be 1.7 or may vary according to carpenters needs )

Quote:
What are your thoughts regarding the original ceiling, would you like a more random slat width applied there as well?
aesthetically i think in both cases the ceiling will look good. so if technically you feel like doing random slat placement you can please redraw the ceiling.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think there is no need to redraw as i get the basic idea. the main consideration points are:

both side walls should be mirrored.
20% of fabric open
mixture of the slat widths
( can 4" be 3.8 or 2" be 1.7 or may vary according to carpenters needs )

aesthetically i think in both cases the ceiling will look good. so if technically you feel like doing random slat placement you can please redraw the ceiling.
adjustments to slat widths is fine, again as long as % is maintained. There is so little slat coverage on the ceiling, that I think all of them being 4" is fine. But if you plan to redesign the walls as you go, doing the same to the ceiling should be just as easy.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
adjustments to slat widths is fine, again as long as % is maintained. There is so little slat coverage on the ceiling, that I think all of them being 4" is fine. But if you plan to redesign the walls as you go, doing the same to the ceiling should be just as easy.
thanks. very much clear. i will keep you update with the progress.
THANKS
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

can't wait.

You're welcome.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear
hi john

carpenters wants me to give them a idea of desk also. they want me to do all the purchasing as slats work will not take much time. are we making desk utilizing the pedestal and how much pedestal area. at this point i have to give carpenters just an rough idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search