The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?

Hello there Gents, I am looking into building another studio at my house I have a12'x24' building out back. Was thinking of a control room 9'x11' and playing room 14'x11. Anyone got any advice pictures thoughts?
Glenn
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Bump For anyone with what to do with 12x24 area? GT
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

What is your ceiling height, isolation requirements, budget, & general music type?

Cheers,
John
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
Glenn,

What is your ceiling height, isolation requirements, budget, & general music type?

Cheers,
John
Well I am having the shed built. Side walls 8 feet to a 11 foot peak. Moving out of a building that I own and will have to spend a little to convert back to office so I can lease. I can take 100 -2'x4'x1" insulation sheets.
starting budget for materials and labor budget $1500. I can do some of the work. Will have monthly income to pay as I go.
At 54 years of age I like RnB, Classic Rock 'bluegrass. Will only take on lighter projects no loud drums or guitar amps. Neighbors to left and right 100 feet. Wall behind house leads to shopping mall no problem.
Glenn.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

i would use a node calculator to fidget with the numbers.

John has one for Excel,
Ethan has one (standalone) from RealTraps.

Wither one will help you tune the dimensions to get the best sounding room you can.
With that vaulted ceiling though, im not sure how you could calculate it, take the average for a rough estimate? (9.5')

gl
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Getting under way! Yeah!!

Ok got aproved for building from city. Builder will have building done i 10 days. Here is an inside of a building he has built. ceiling is lower.
Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-ben-white-12x24-009.jpg  
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

He's doing that for $1,500? Is the land graded and level already? Foundation? Electrical? I mean...$1,500 is maybe 10% of what I'd expect that to cost finished.

Frank
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Unless you have other plans your TL might reach STC-36 with drywall & R-13 insulation. I would look into a stagger-stud construction for better isolation at the very least.

-John
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
He's doing that for $1,500? Is the land graded and level already? Foundation? Electrical? I mean...$1,500 is maybe 10% of what I'd expect that to cost finished.

Frank
Why are you saying "he". That sounds like you are talking to your colleages and I am the dumb newbee! Thanks Frank. However.
You are right. $1500 will to get me through about 1 month. Will have $1000 extra from my lease incomes every month. I have a ton of 2x4;s 100 - 2'x4'1" insulation sheets. The drummer in my band is a homebuilder. Access to what I need. I have about 12 days until the shed is delivered. I will start prep ground work tomorrow.
GT
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless you have other plans your TL might reach STC-36 with drywall & R-13 insulation. I would look into a stagger-stud construction for better isolation at the very least.

-John
What if I added 1 or 2 layers of 1/2" or 5/8" drywall cut and put in between the the 2x4's. Then use 2'x4'x1" insulation or r-13. Would this get it up to a stc of 45 to 55? GT
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
Why are you saying "he". That sounds like you are talking to your colleages and I am the dumb newbee!
I thought he was referring to the builder.

Paul P
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What if I added 1 or 2 layers of 1/2" or 5/8" drywall cut and put in between the the 2x4's. Then use 2'x4'x1" insulation or r-13. Would this get it up to a stc of 45 to 55? GT
I think it would be safe to say that you might get STC43 with that assembly. Just an educated guess, mind you. If you want to be certain of more TL, I would suggest that you use the 5/8" double layer of gypsum board between the studs, insulate with R-13, and ADD resilient channel and 2 layers of 5/8" on the inside... Green Glue can add up to an additional 10db TL - it would be reasonable to assume an additional 6-7db.

Seal is very, very important. Do not overlook this or you will be wasting your sound-proofing money. For caulking drywall joints on the wall to wall junctions and wall/ceiling - wall/floor joints, check out OSI SC-175 or similar.

Cheers,
John
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it would be safe to say that you might get STC43 with that assembly. Just an educated guess, mind you. If you want to be certain of more TL, I would suggest that you use the 5/8" double layer of gypsum board between the studs, insulate with R-13, and ADD resilient channel and 2 layers of 5/8" on the inside... Green Glue can add up to an additional 10db TL - it would be reasonable to assume an additional 6-7db.

Seal is very, very important. Do not overlook this or you will be wasting your sound-proofing money. For caulking drywall joints on the wall to wall junctions and wall/ceiling - wall/floor joints, check out OSI SC-175 or similar.

Cheers,
John
Thanks John, I will most likely do that. It will be about 10 days max and I will get the building. Thanks again!
Glenn
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention that with my above suggested assembly you should get around STC59 and if you add Green Glue, into the mid to upper 60s!

Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
$1500 will to get me through about 1 month. Will have $1000 extra from my lease incomes every month. I have a ton of 2x4;s 100 - 2'x4'1" insulation sheets. The drummer in my band is a homebuilder. Access to what I need. I have about 12 days until the shed is delivered. I will start prep ground work tomorrow.
GT
Ah...got it. That makes more sense.

Frank
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Here is a picture of my new place. I wonder is there anything you can blow into the floor to make it more sound proof?
GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-gt-shed-001.jpg   Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-gt-shed-002.jpg  
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

You may be in trouble here.

Wood frame floors over a crawl-space are some of the most difficult to soundproof. You must add mass & you must put insulation between the joists. You should at least enclose the bottom with 3/4" subfloor tongue in groove OSB - fill with insulation - top it with the same and add your flooring of choice.

Can you do this?
--John
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Ok John I will get the building brought up here in about 1 week. It is 2 hours away. Is it totally backwards to get it here and work on the floor here? I don't think it will be up in the air at all when they anchor it down. easier to remove if the upper floor is done with screws rather than nail gun.
I will call him to see what he has done today since the pictures.
Glenn.
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Ok I got the 12 x24 shed yesterday. Trying to figure if we should put 1 layer of 5/8" drywall between the studs or 2 layers. 1- 5/58 and 1- layer 1/2". Then insulation and drywall on front of studs? That would be either 2 or 3 layers total.
GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-mm-driveway.jpg   Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-mm-yard.jpg   Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-mm-inside.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

How much isolation do you need? I still think that the floor will give you more problems than the walls (sound-wise).

You would be better off insulating between the studs and either using iso-clips or resilient channel for the drywall. Two different thicknesses won't help. You need as much mass as you can get, so 2 layers of 5/8" would be best.

You must do the ceiling the same as you do the walls.

But before you spend too much money on walls & ceiling, check your floor construction. You can add mass to the floor with drywall, hardi-backer, or cement board. Insulate the cavity below and seal it on the bottom with at least 1/2" OSB.

What are you doing about heating and cooling?

-- John
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi John. Well either I will do light accoustic guitar light projects. I bought a Alesis electronic set. So lets say plan A would be no loud drums or loud big amps. My real hope would be plan B. If you look at my drawing you will see a 5'6"x 7' raised drum and iso platform. The back wall ,left wall and ceiling would be permanent. The front and side would be on a hinge. Open it would give the playing room a more open feel. Closed it would isolate the drums or loud guitar amp 15 to 25 dbs. Is this a pipe dream. Float it and real put mass on the floor leave 6" to10" from back wall and lefts side wall. double thick windows. So for the whole building if I dbl drywall in between studs then r 13 or 2'x4'1" rockwool sheets then1 more 5/8" drywall. Would this give what 40dbs less more? The floor I am unsure?
AC use a roll around one to start. do I need a return on the oposite side?
I have a 60 amp circut. The city is poking around twice. They want the ancors real tight. 3 rd inspection then I have had it with them.
What do you think? Glenn.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-gt-12x24-4-13-10-10-2.jpg  
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

How noisy is your outside environment? If you are doing acoustic guitars, etc.. you will need good isolation to keep noise from the outside out of your recordings.

Why are you raising the drums? Drum risers are for live performance to project and to 'display' the drummer to the audience. - Building a platform for the drums in a studio usually introduces unwanted resonances from the riser and does nothing for isolation.

The only way to isolate is with mass (like a concrete floor...) - Same for the walls. Mass-air-mass is the best.

I am curious why you chose those dimensions and orientation. The control room is too small as is the 'drum booth' for any proper use of the volume available.

You should build your walls, ceilings and floors as I suggested earlier. If you cannot afford it now, build only a part of it. Start with the control room and get it right. I just hate to see you waste the money that you have already spent by building something that might not suit your needs or even be workable. It really starts to get expensive when you have to tear out and rebuild...

15 to 25db isolation isn't much unless you adding to 50 or 60 db.

Be real nice to the inspectors and don't argue with them. (They can really be a pain in the butt... just think **** - gestappo... etc.. and OBEY) Because they can truly make your life hell if you get on their wrong side. You don't live in the land of the free anymore. (I'm gonna get some flack for that statement...)

If you need personal consultation, PM me.

Cheers,
John
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

So it sounds like ad 2 layers of 5/8" between the studs. walls and ceiling. Maybe put 1 mor sheet on top of the floor? Go undernrath stuff with inssulation and close with boards. Once this is done pu 1 or two layer of drywall in top of the studs. What stc rating is this? I thought putting the drums a 2'x6' risers 5x7 just big enough to fit ther drums and mics in. The low end kick will be stopped in the thick raiser. Not rattle the whole floor. What am I doing wrong now. My wife wnats me to get on line again.
What am I missing? Thaks for your patience.

Glenn.
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

Double 5/8" drywall between studs up next to osb on the outside.. fill with fluffy insulation...(don't forget your vapor barrier) then double 5/8" on top of the studs -- you might get about STC-45. If you use green glue between the two layers on top of the studs, you might get up to an additional 10db. I recommend it if you can afford it. Please note the word 'might' as many factors come into play here and the ratings that I listed are 'best case'.

The low end kick will NOT be stopped by the riser. Low end is the most difficult to isolate. It takes concrete several feet thick to attenuate 20Hz any appreciable amount. -- For impact noise (which is different from air-borne sound), you can isolate on compression pads that are rated for impact isolation and based on psf loading... But this is for thumping machines or heavy foot falls, hammers hitting the floor, etc... Impact isolation is the isolation of structure-borne noise.

Most of the low frequency produced by a kick drum is air-borne, emanating from the vibrating head and amplified by the shell resonance of the drum. You need serious mass to block that.

I hope this helps you. -- And many others who read.
Cheers,
John
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Ok thanks again John. I will be nice to the inspector tuesday. If I can move on i will do the layers of drywall you have suggested. It is costing me time and money preping my other building to lease. Here is a picture. We have a lot of insulation we are removing. Ah the downsize.
Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a 12'x24' recording studio?-tmm-studio-2.jpg  
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

This construction is hard work. Even hiring a guy to do it. Helping when I am out of shape is tough. Thank god he likes to work on his own. We have 2 layers of drywall up. I wish I knew where to buy Green Glue here in Florida. Very lucky the weather is cool. Will change any day.heh
GT.
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Glenn,

For Green Glue, try here.

Cheers,
John
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks John I talked to John at the place
GT.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear Addict

small world

hi glen, i'm roger, i live in gainesville,too!-- was that pic of that Taylor Made studio? i drove by it several times, but never checked it out? is that yours?
anyway, hello to a fellow gainesvillian! hope to check out your new place some day, looking good..heh
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Addict

Just wanted to shout out to a few local gearslutz!

Glenn, my studio is roughly the same dimensions as yours 11'x22'x8'. I just went with an open control room,and have been loving it. I've done full bands in here (nice and cozy) and been happy with the sound. Built a crap-load of bass traps.

Have you considered an open space? Give a shout if you want to stop by and check it out.

-neil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search